Worried about that display

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by MarkB, Aug 10, 2017.

1. MarkB

MarkB New Member

Very excited about the 3, but perhaps like a few others don't care for that display. It looks like a large single point of failure. What happens when it fails, no lights, wipers, can't open the glove box?! What about the parking brake? On most cars the car will still function if a gauge or switch breaks. Having to get a tow is an actual concern.

Go ahead and tell me that's crazy talk :) I realize nobody has one to say for sure, just some idle thoughts while waiting.

Mark

2. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Hello Mark, and first of all welcome! I would never call you crazy on your first day! ;)

First of all, to the sturdiness of the stand & how firmly it is attached, please do watch what M3OC founder @TrevP had to say about it after his test drive as passenger on the front seat at the delivery event on 7/28:

To potential software or others electronics mishaps, understand your concern yet I find it hard to believe that T≡SLA would not have duly PFD'd (planned for disaster) & made sure there are yet undisclosed back up plans, in addition to doing everything upfront to minimize the risk of s..t happening!

Call me an optimistic T≡SLA fanboy, I'm just trying to help making you feel better ;), with strong confidence in Elon's technical savviness.
    There is too much for T≡SLA riding on the success of this phenomenal new car launch to not have given enough thought to all this upfront!

Take care, Mike

3. MarkB

MarkB New Member

Hi Mike, thanks for posting that video. I agree that the likelihood of the display failing is pretty low, but it will happen to someone. I also believe that Tesla has thought of this case. Personally, I'll need to know the answer because it would bother me.

Also been thinking about a plan b if I really miss an instrument cluster. A Navdy looks like it would work if the car has an OBD 2 port. It might be overkill, but it will put the speed up where I can see it more easily. A security blanket just in case LOL.

Since there are no cars to be had there is too much time for idle speculation.

Looking forward to actually seeing and getting a chance to drive one.

Mark

4. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

I am guilty of being a resolute, diehard HUDite... so yes, I'm also looking at a Navdy for this and many other reasons!! :)

By the way, I'm confident that Navdy will make it work in Model 3 somehow, whether the car has an OBD 2 port or not!!