Will we only get a 4 door 5 seater Model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Tesla Addict, May 20, 2016.

1. Tesla Addict

Tesla Addict Member

How cool would this be: a Model 3 sedan, hatchback, coupe and convertible! I know Tesla probably won't do all those models at once. But as an ex-Audi nut, I often compare Tesla to Audi. For instance, The Roadster could be seen as a TT. But can the Model 3 be like the A3/A4?

Audi doesn't have the full line up here in North America but here is what they have for the A3 line: Saloon, Cabriolet and Sportback for the A3 and S3 as well as an upcoming RS3.

Should Tesla diversify the choices we have to chose from in every Model? I think it would be very interesting to see that happen. If it does, it won't happen for a few years... I think.

2. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    A coupe or convertible Model 3 is what I expect from the next generation Roadster. As for sedan or hatchback for the 3, that's what many have complained about with the 3's trunk.

3. Tesla Addict

Tesla Addict Member

Interesting point. I had honestly forgotten about the "issue" with Model 3's trunk! It is quite the huge difference compared to the X and the S, I think I read somewhere that they plan on enlarging it, don't quote me on it, though. Also with autopilot and the possible HEPA air filtration system, the frunk might be smaller than expected.

Whatever Tesla decides to do, they better do it well! Thousands of people around the world have high expectations for it...

4. Newscutter

Newscutter Member

Home Page:
    I'm expecting a crossover version to complement the 3 sedan. I suspect their intention is that people who are sensitive to the trunk design will opt for the crossover (which would have a hatch, in addition to more ground clearance). Elon has said as much in the past on Twitter though-- frankly-- I hope he reverses his proclamation that it would ALSO have falcon wing doors like the X does. Cool as they are, I have no interest in owning a set for a long list of reasons.

5. Tesla Addict

Tesla Addict Member

I agree. For the Model X, the falcon wing doors actually have a purpose: easy access. As for a smaller vehicle... What's the point? It would be more of a gimmick.

Hmmm.... It would be interesting to see if they have falcon wing doors as an option! I don't see it happening because it would slow down production rates but I think that would be a first ever; having an option on the type of door on your vehicle :)

6. Newscutter

Newscutter Member

Home Page:
    Perhaps as a REAR door, like the hatch being multi-hinged?

The Dodge Magnum had great access to its cargo area because the hatch cut back into the roof. I could see doing a falcon-wing-hatch on a smaller crossover for the same reason.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. gene

gene Moderator

Nooooo. No more falcon wing! *cringe*

8. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    I think regular doors are just fine.

9. Tesla Addict

Tesla Addict Member

I don't really see why they would incorporate those doors into the Model 3 (or Model Y)... So far each Tesla is unique in its own way. That's how I see it anyways.

And I agree @Dennis , now with summon, there should be no more problems with tight spaces! Just summon your car free :)

10. gene

gene Moderator

I think I'm the only person that has been scared to use Summon. I use Autopilot daily and can't live without it but haven't dared use Summon or Autopark :)

11. gene

gene Moderator

I think I'm the only person that has been scared to use Summon. I use Autopilot daily and can't live without it but haven't dared use Summon or Autopark :)

12. gene

gene Moderator

13. gene

gene Moderator

14. Tesla Addict

Tesla Addict Member

Really? I thought it would be the other way around! Scared of autopilot, okay with autopark and summon Maybe you should tinker around with those features... After all, you did pay to have them!