When to buy a Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jandk, Mar 30, 2017.

  1. jandk

    jandk New Member

    Mar 30, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi all - very new to this forum so I apologise in advance if this has been talked about previously (feel free to just point me in the direction of the post(s) that answer!)

    I'm in the fortunate position of being ready to purchase a Model S, my model of choice is the 100D with pretty much all the options (less cold weather and faster charging). I've only just gotten to the point where I'm ready to purchase and I believe I'd be much smarter to wait for at least the Model 3 configurator to be released before I place my S order.

    I figure if there's any advancements that they're planning on introducing with the release of the Model 3 those would be rolled out to the S and X at the same time. I'm also conscious that the longer I wait the better the car will be but.....also conscious that it will be an amazing car no matter when it gets built/delivered.

    Does anyone have any thoughts/guidance? I figure if I wait I'll only need to wait until June, possibly July? and considering it's a significant purchase those extra 3-4 months may be worth the wait.

    Thanks all.
  2. Sefar

    Sefar New Member

    Feb 23, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
    I would be cautious about waiting. If you look at histories on teslainventory.com or some similar site, you will notice that prices sometimes go up, rather than down. I only offer my experience- I was able to get a 2016 inventory car, which means lifetime free supercharging, but also a late year build with HW2. It had a discount as it was in demo service for 1500 or so miles which you probably won't find on a 100D- mine is a 75D. I have been watching Tesla cars since 2014 and they don't track like traditional cars in terms of discounts, rebates and so on. Often a $1,000 referral discount is all you will see. If you find a car and deal that suit you, I don't think waiting does you much good.

    Yes, I guess it is possible that the Model 3 might affect demand for the S, but not at the level of vehicle you are considering, IMHO.
  3. bgreen

    bgreen New Member

    Mar 14, 2017
    I tend to agree with the last respondent. Get one now while you can and start to enjoy the Tesla experience. I have also just purchased a CPO (S85D) and I am really glad I didn't wait!
  4. EVFreak

    EVFreak New Member

    Feb 27, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    If you're not in a rush to buy, my timeframe threshold would be the latest when you're still eligible for the full Federal tax credit. Then you can wait to see what improvements they make until then.
  5. Hovscorpion12

    Hovscorpion12 New Member

    Apr 7, 2017
    Massacusetts, USA
    I would recommend to wait. On the 15 of April, Tesla is removing the base Model S 60 and 60D and the base model is being replaced by likely the 70 and 70D. The 75 kWh will the base battery pack. Tesla is also most likely going to release a 2017 refresh after the Model 3 is released. (Tesla refreshed the Model S sometime after the Model X release). I say wait until June or July.

Share This Page