Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Michael Russo, Aug 9, 2017.
Congrats & hearty welcome to Teslarati, Kim (going out on a limb with your first name... ).
Put a deposit down in Sept/16 so well after many but got my invite a couple of days ago. I'm in Canada, and have already seen one (a red one) in Vancouver. I'm holding out for the white interior though, and on the fence about AWD.
Just got my configuation email! Reserved on December 26, 2017. Got the email 4 months later - wow! Reservation is for Toronto, Ontario (Canada).
My wife ordered April 2017 on-line and i ordered July 2017 on-line. We both got our emails tonight. Live in Ontario near Ottawa.
Congratulation, I made my reservation on 02/04/2016 and still nothing!!!
I hope to receive a mail in April 2019.
I live in Belgium...........
Yeah, sounds about right for a EU res.
Left Belgium definitely for SW France yet don’t think it’s gonna help as much as owning Red Dragon...
Congrats. You're gonna love the car
29 days from Config to Deliver
VIN number 177xx
Midnight Silver Metallic. 19 inch sport wheels. EAP
Delivery set for 5/7/18. .
In our case, we decided to wait until we can choose other than a black interior.
I want a blue M3 with the white interior. That is going to look pimp
Still on the fence about AWD, it's a steep price to pay.
I received my invite to order on Thursday evening. Exciting as it was I am planning to hold out for the smaller battery pack.
I was gonna do the same. Keep in mind you aren't supposed to charge the battery more than 85-90%. Only rarely when you go on road trips. So that 220 is really more like 190- 200 miles. And thats if you're driving in perfect conditions and using regen. breaking. If you can comfortably afford it, I recommend getting the larger battery.
Honestly, that's 320km. I have a very long commute, roughly 70km one way. 140km round trip. In ideal conditions without stops I should be able to go two days without charging. But I won't, it's like my phone I go to bed at 50-60% but I plug it in and start with a full charge in the morning.
I can easily go to work, go out for lunch, drive home, go to the gym, drive back while making a stop all while having the A/C or heat on full on a charge. We will still have an ICE for any long distance trips, really is no need for me to spend an additional 25% for the larger battery for my use case. If the price difference wasn't so large I would consider it but with no benefit day to day and only a marginal increase in usability for the outlier trips it doesn't make sense to increase my car payment by 25%
Given you're in Ontario, have you considered that during the winter, the battery capacity can drop down to 50%? The SR battery will give you 160 km on a near full charge. I have a coworker with a Bolt who drives as much as myself (70 km one way...140 km/day). He's constantly trying to manage his energy to ensure he has enough to get to work and home.
The above is the worst case scenario. Chances are, you'll have your car charging overnight and in the morning, the battery should be warmed up and should have near it's usual capacity. But if it's parked outside, when you go home, expect your battery efficiency to drop to 1/2.
Strange, I asked that question about the lost of range when it's cold outside to a Bolt owner and he told me that at -20 C, the drop in range is 30%. Maybe he was talking about a car that was getting out of the warm garage and on the road. I will ask him for more precision.
I'm in the same situation as Jordan, got invited to configure but waiting for the small battery cause just doesn't make sens to put 25% more for the extra 150 km of range. Also I want the AWD for the safety on the snow and ice that we have in Canada. Hoping it won't add another 25% on the price.
Sorry..I probably should have been more specific in saying that battery capacity can go down as low as 50%. Factors like heating the car and such can effect how the battery can drain. But worst case scenario though it's around 50%.
I believe initial estimates for the AWD is $5000 USD. So unlikely to be 25% of the cost.
I'm also in the same situation as Jordan. I'm on the fence as to getting it now or just waiting for the SR. The battery capacity can be an issue but if you plan it out (i.e., make sure you're charged in the morning and that the battery is warmed up), you should be ok.
As for AWD, the Model S reviews of the RWD seem pretty decent on snow with snow tires. I guess the fact the weight distribution is quite low allows for RWD to work pretty well. So with snow tires you'll have grip and good control. AWD is obviously better.
Also have other reasons for leaning more towards picking up the 1st run now. My in-law put it best..."You can't put a price on the enjoyment factor" =)
Because my wife will drive the car much more than me, I'll go for the safety first. (I go to work by train). I would love to pick-up the 1st run now if it was only the battery but bundle with the premium pack, it's 18500Can$ more than the 45600 Can$, so it's 40% more... at some point, my brain is taking over that enjoyment factor... Not saying that pleased me at all. But 6 months sin't the end of the world...
Sorry, do you have anything that shows range will drop from 354km/220miles down to 177km/110miles?
I just asked my coworker with a Model S 75kWh which I believe is supposed to get 420km range and he said on the worst days in the winter with heat on his range dropped to maybe 360 which is still over 85%
There is a huge gap from 360km to 210km... Sounds concerning if you have had experiences like this with a Tesla?
Although it doesn't really matter because if that worst case scenario was realized, I still get to work and back with over 35km left in the tank.
It's just something I came across when reading up about electric cars in general. But you're right, I would say most everyone don't experience such a drastic drop in capacity. From what I've come across, it's generally about 30-40% drop when starting the car in cold weather. I bring it up since some (including myself) wasn't even aware of a capacity drop with cold temperatures.
That said, I finally pulled the trigger on getting a Model 3 + LR battery + PUP. We have an election coming up in Ontario and depending on who wins, there's a chance the $14,000 incentive might go away (or at least decrease). I wasn't planning on getting it now but I figured might as well.
And as a show of defiance, my current car decided to rust a little more and have it's muffler break. Can't wait to have this car replaced.
Musk tweeted a few months ago that AWD would be less than $5000. Hoping that's the case. Made my reservation on 4/1/17. Hoping to receive config. email in the Fall at the latest.