When do you expect your Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Michael Russo, Aug 9, 2017.

1. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Active Member

Looks like non owners are getting invites today!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  3. jkirkwood001

jkirkwood001 New Member

You're right-hand drive in Oz, correct @fusionpowerEV? That may be part of the reason for your unfortunate extra delay (I'm also in Canada).

I would be thrilled (and extra fortunate) to get my Model 3 in 2018 having reserved mid-January of same year! I'm not holding my breath before 2019 tho. It's all wishful-thinking until (unless?) Tesla can climb above 5,000 / week - there are ~450,000 folks who rightfully committed before me!

delivery estimate (blanked).png

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jkirkwood001

jkirkwood001 New Member

I'm feeling pretty spoiled with the $14 K credit here in Ontario (plus $1,000 on home charging). Second only to Norway it seems.

Oh wait - if the Liberals get booted out in June, will our credit get cut too??
    Curses! C'mon Tesla, hurry up...

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Welcome to the Teslarati forum, JKirk!

While I hope you get your car soonest, with a Jan 2018 reservation, I think you are wise in not truly expecting your car before next year... for the good reasons you outline. ;)

6. aquadoggie

aquadoggie Member

Set delivery for March 10th at 10am. Whee!

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  7. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Putting this here to kind of alleviate some of the understandable impatience...

IMHO, excellent article on Cleantechnica that replaces actual progress with Model 3 start & production ramp-up within original projections from many years back. Eye-opening perspective if you ask me which makes me want to applaud T≡SLA efforts even more!! :cool:

Is Tesla Model 3 Actually On Original Schedule?
    https://cleantechnica.com/2018/03/02/tesla-model-3-actually-original-schedule/

8. RFP

RFP Member

#188 RFP, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    Michael, Frankly, i think that you are the nicest man on the planet and in my next life I want you to be my Dad when I bring home (in reality) a bad report card.

My issue is that almost 3 years ago Elon suggested that if we loaned him $1K (early) we would be at the top of the list to receive a well equipped great vehicle. Using this as fact I give him only 1 of 3 passing grades. Foremost, regardless of the minor quality and technical issues, this car appears to be a gem and will be a treat to have.

Now for the however..............Although not my choice, I don't think that there will be a $35K car and/or it will not be available until all the invitations are configured to a $42 - $57K sale. I believe that many believed that the $35K was possible as Elon suggested (the tax credit was mentioned but it did recognize that it may be limited as we know). This to me is akin to false advertising/bait and switch. The other item is that when 400,000 - 500,000 reservations came in within 30-60 days. Elon chose (a good business/revenue approach) not to come clean regarding delivery expectations. His philosophy is absolutely correct about producing the best car possible at the expense of quick delivery and most anyone could have predicted "production hell"; however we lemmings were never given a realistic update. Tesla is sort of an arrogant company and at this point refuses to provide the cost for AWD as we all know that they know what it will be,. Again, I want my $47K car and hope it's sooner than later and know that I will not be disappointed but, in my opinion, the process has been an utter failure and would not get good grades at a good Business School. Ron

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

@RFP , thank you for the kind words. However, make not mistake, you don’t want to be my son with a bad report card... ;)

On the other aspects of your grading:
    - there will be a $35k Model 3... at some point;
    - though I can totally relate to the frustration - and for some, the despair - some experience as it is not yet available, we must all remember that T≡SLA’s future depends on bringing an end to the tremendous cash burn... to survive;
    - that means they need the highest margins initially and for a while; ironically the best chance to make the $35k Model 3 possible is to sell as many cars worth $49k and more before!
    - am I happy with the way T≡SLA communicates, or with some of the line jumping that allowed recent S/X owners who only reserved their Model 3 last month to already get to invite? Of course not. However, these messaging mistakes will soon be dismissed or forgotten as more and more non-owners configure...!
    - like you, I want my Model 3; being in Europe and with an October 2016 reservation date, I’ll be happy to get it mid-2019...

So, I’m waiting, not (just ;)) because I’m nice, yet mostly because there isn’t any other EV as compelling now or in the foreseeable future that I can afford or want to pay for... :)

10. fusionpowerEV

fusionpowerEV New Member

My sentiments almost exactly. I think we will benefit considerably from the additional maturity of the Model 3. Like you I considered a used Model S but it is simply too big for me. In the meantime I impatiently struggle with ICE.

11. fusionpowerEV

fusionpowerEV New Member

You are correct, RHD manufacture doesn't start until 2019 and has been delayed by the current production delays. As a Canadian it appears you have a reverse situation. As Tesla finesse US sales in order to maximise Model 3 buyer access to the Federal tax benefit, the excess production is being channelled to Canada.

12. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Active Member

Starting to think there is going to be another delay :(:eek:

13. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

And why is that, my friend? ;)

14. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Active Member

Hey there Michael, Looks like production is still under 1k a week by most estimates. Tesla
    wanted to be nearing 2500 per week by now. My march-may delivery estimate has to be pushed
    back unless I get an invite to configure in the few weeks, (obviously still possible) assuming they are delivering around 6 weeks out. Unless they ramp up like crazy in the next two weeks, I don't see how its possible to avoid pushing everyone back again.

15. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Gotcha. I still feel optimistic we’ll see a significant production increase during the next 6 weeks. As long as you get your invite by mid-April, or thereabouts, you could still be looking at your car end May...
    Keep the faith... :)

16. CycleMost

CycleMost New Member

#196 CycleMost, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Are there any other non-Tesla owners out there that are getting invites? I reserved on Day 1 (in store), and my delivery estimate says Mar - May. Still no invite. Trying not to obsess over it...

17. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Active Member

You were right! Got my invite today. Just configured. After seeing the white and the grey next to each other I went with the white. Excited to get it. Which everyone in my fam is shocked about cause I love grey.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  18. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Active Member

Were you online or in line?

19. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Well I am very happy for you... wishing you a lot of white bliss! :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. HuzyQ

HuzyQ New Member

I also placed my order in line Day 1 (March 31st). I sometimes search my inbox for "Tesla" to make sure I didn't scroll over my coniguration email! - H, Dallas TX