When do you expect your Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Michael Russo, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

I will continue to count on 1Q19 yet will gladly accept it as Christmas 2018 present, or for my 61st Bday in October... :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    Unfortunately now I'm expecting Fall 2018, proably Q4. I have no interest in the car without AWD.

The standard battery at only 220 is disappointing. I thought they'd at least get to the Bolt number but was hoping for 250.

The long range battery is wonderful and an upgrade from my S85 range and I expect that will go up even further with the AWD as it does on the other cars.

Model 3 Delivery Estimate 20170729.jpg

3. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Hi Teslaliving, totally with you on your reaction to the base range! Actually, it would most probably have been higher and around 250 had T≡SLA decided to go with 60 kWh rather than the now ~50 kWh smaller that has been confirmed. Guess that was not possible at current cost/kWh yet, though, as has happened with the S earlier, this could very well change over time...

By the time I get to order, I'll probably sacrifice AWD in favor of the 310 miles range version. Was going to get it base met my 250 'goal', yet in the end I don't know that I need it as much in South of France anyways; RWD with good winter tires will most likely do the job for me...

So much time still to wait... yet the prize will be worth the wait! ;)

4. Eric Handley

Eric Handley Member

I preordered June 16th 2016 and could get it between March 2018 (1st prod) and as late as Dec 2018 (AWD). All I have definitely decided on so far is that I will get 19" wheels and will not pay for the full autonomy option right away...very slowly narrowing down what I don't want. I am anxiously awaiting to see the various roof options.

5. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Eric, hi. What is it about the AWD that appeals to you most, though in California? Have you made up your mind about the range version? You ought to be able to get yours much sooner in 2018 if you'd settle for RWD...
    As far as roof options, understand. We have no real confirmation on that yet, do we? Wouldn't be surprised if it was just all glass fixed and (maybe?) small tinted metal for the base... though a normal sunroof that opens (if technically feasible with the Model 3 large rear window design) would be a logical option in this class over time.

6. Deboyser

Deboyser New Member

Will it be possible to exchange my Model3 reservation to the next Tesla Y?
    The range of 220 is disappointing and a upgrade off 25Kw at $ 9000 is very exspensive!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gonzalo Zamora

Gonzalo Zamora New Member

March-May 2018 if I select first production. No interest in awd since I live in Central California. Hoping I qualify for full $7500 federal tax credit.

8. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Welcome to the forum first of all, @Deboyser !

Nothing to that effect has been mentioned yet officially, to my knowledge. In truth, we have no idea as to when Model Y (if this is still the way it will be called by T≡SLA...) will be a) revealed - likely start time of potential reservations, b) produced and c) delivered... Since I would be surprised if b) & c) occur before late in 2019 at the earliest, I don't think realistically that a) will take place before at least a year from now, Sept. '18 might very well be the very earliest date!

So, my recommendation is hold on to your Model 3 reservation - when did you make it by the way? - and do like me, wait until reliable EU pricing are known (again, probably not before the summer/fall of 2018...!). I am crossing my fingers that the US$ will continue to slide & be more around 1.25 to 1.30/€ by the end of next year.

I would have also hoped for a higher range for the base version. Yet it is actually amazingly high for what seems to be a small battery (in the low 50's kWh) indicating a super efficiency!! Who knows, there may even be an intermediate 250-260 miles additional version in between the current 220 & 310 options by then (YE18 or soon thereafter). Maybe, just maybe this priced just under $40k...! ;).

Finally, I did think $9k was a lot too at first yet when you consider you also get faster charging with the extra range of 90 miles, not to mention incrementally faster 0-100 kph, turns out it isn't not that much... Consider the $25k more a Model S 100D costs vs. a 75D...! And much less extra range...

Let's be patient & remain open... until we can drive the car then find out exactly how much it will actually cost us as Europeans!

Take care,
    Mike

• Like Like x 1
  9. Freddyraps

Freddyraps New Member

#9 Freddyraps, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Hello Michael..I'm digging the site!
    Just wanted to respond re the all glass roof. I called Tesla just last week and according to the Rep I spoke with, he said that the base model will have an all glass roof but the only difference is the premium will have the "Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection". I hope this is true and it makes sense as Elon said the base will have an all glass roof.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Hey Freddy, welcome to the Forum, glad to have ya! Appreciate the feedback & sure @gene will be happy too!

Thanks for sharing. Apart from the fact we have sometimes been - at least in the past - a tad skeptical T≡SLA reps really know a lot about what would happen with Model 3 (other than being super nice generally) - and admitting that this may now get a little better, possibly in SoCal first... - this input inspires a couple of comments...
    I do not remember hearing about such a firm indication by Elon - do you have it in writing somewhere ? Was it in a tweet, during a speech?
    I am with you it would be really nice if all cars would have the AGR. Just wondering how a non UV & IR protected one would do in sunny climates... which are likely to be more prevalent in lots of places ??
    Did you ask the rep that question by any chance?

Keep enjoying Teslarati!! :)

11. Eric Handley

Eric Handley Member

#11 Eric Handley, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Hi Michael! I would find AWD to come in handy because I love traveling to the mountains and plan to be driving in the snow/ice (. I will also be less limited for routes while on road trips all over America, which I plan to do many. In fact, I plan to have my Model 3 for a very long time since I believe it is ahead of its time *compared to all other automakers* and may last me the rest of my life. One day I might live in the mountains, plus I would always be a fan of the extra power for every day driving! As for the roof, I want/love the all glass roof, I am curious if I can get it without having to get the premium interior or if it will only come in the premium package. I guess we have to wait to find out, unfortunately. I'd be extremely happy if it were standard.

12. Eric Handley

Eric Handley Member

where and when did Elon say that?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Gotcha!
    Yeah, same here on the AGR, though I would like to better understand the answer to my question above re the absence of UV & IR treatment.
    Though I would have preferred not to spend the extra 5 grand, I do feel the Premium package will add a lot of comfort, if not value (and I don't necessarily mean resale value, yet pleasure to the first owner during its use)...

14. Eric Handley

Eric Handley Member

call me crazy (which I am) but I did not want the UV tint for better visibility and openness while driving, especially for being able to see the stars at night. I understand it will draw in heat, but I would probably just use a deployable sun shield when I am away from the car if I really had to. If Tesla doesn't end up making one I would make one (just for the roof).

• Like Like x 1
  15. xnappo

xnappo New Member

You still have enough hair to protect your scalp from the UV? Lucky guy :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. J.Taylor

J.Taylor Active Member

[​IMG]
    Your Model 3 Delivery Estimate
    Model 3 deliveries are beginning in the US based on whether you are an employee, if you own a Tesla and when you placed your reservation.

• Late 2018

• Like Like x 1
  17. Msbaskin

Msbaskin New Member

Hi Michael Michael, I am fairly new to this site as well. I have been following but contributed. Did Tesla say if this roof opens at all? I ordered in Early April 2016 and projections for delivery is May - July 2018. Not happy about a 2 year wait, but I'm hoping by then all the bugs be ironed out. I want with a special color and premium package. Not so sure spending $1500 for 19" wheels. Not happy spending $1000 for a color. Maybe this will change in a year.

18. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

@Msbaskin , welcome!
    At this point, the AGR is fixed glass; as I said, we have no confirmation to-date as to if & when a normal sunroof that does open will be available as another option on Model 3...

Yes, things will change over time though not sure before the 2nd half of 2018 as T≡SLA gets closer to the ultimate production rate of 10k/week!

In the meantime, let's keep sharing & remain as lighthearted as can be! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Like for all non-US deliveries, a generic input that is only worth so much at this point... To the extent T≡SLA succeeds in moving from hell through purgatory relatively quickly in 1H18, I certainly hope the early Canadian reservations on or soon post reveal can indeed be expected earlier, say late/summer or fall of next year!

We Europeans should be at least 3-4 months behind... yet we also see late 2018.
    For all of us outside of the US, I would not look at that delivery estimator again at least March/April of 2018!

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Freddyraps

Freddyraps New Member

Hey Michael!

I just called the Rep again and he said that he believes the base model will have the AGR and that it has "some" protection from the sun -- just not as much as the premium upgrade. He said if you live in a sunny place like California, it's better to get the extra protection and choose upgrade. I'd like to spend less but the upgrade seems to offer many great benefits for me so I will most likely be upgrading. I ordered mine on the night of the launch and my tesla page says I can expect it in February-April.

More info which may back up the AGR for for base model: https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/produc...l-3-glass-roof-sunshade.html?sku=1135832-00-A
    Of course you could buy this sunscreen if you owned the premium model but I don't think most people will buy this especially with the added sun protection the premium upgrade offers.... I re watched the original launch video and all Elon said was that the back seat has the glass roof for more headroom and an amazing view. So do I know for sure? No, but it sure seems like it will and I'm pretty sure it will probably save Tesla money. What do you think?

• Like Like x 1