Wheels Painted - not what I expected. Need opinions.

Discussion in 'Model S' started by JDWalburg, Oct 14, 2017.

1. JDWalburg

JDWalburg New Member

IMG_3066.JPG IMG_3067.JPG Hi All,

Last week here in Minnesota I had a clear bra installed on the front end of my car, ceramic paint correction/protection, window tint, debadge, calipers painted red and wheels painted gloss black. Everything looked incredible when I picked it up, but the wheels were not what I was expecting. The tech said he was surprised when they came back like that, but before sending the lug nuts/center caps back in for paint he wanted me to see it on the car as-is. He said he actually prefers it this way as it gives some depth and pulls from all the other chrome on the car. I'm on the fence, as it just isn't what I was expecting. Can I get some opinions? Like the splash of chrome, or go all black?

2. Tony Shadid

Tony Shadid New Member

I like it. I think you can go either way with the black or keeping the them chrome. Here’s a twist — how bout red to eccentuate the calipers? I just bought a Tesla yesterday and am planning on doing the same on my 19” wheels. Are yours 19 or 21 inch wheels?

3. thomasesawyer

thomasesawyer New Member

I say get everything in black. I will take a pic of mine later. I had my wheels powder coated the Tesla dark grey.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Debra Ward

Debra Ward New Member

All black is preferable.

5. gene

gene Moderator

My vote is all black as well. The chrome is too distracting IMO.

Here's all black on a Model X.

[​IMG]

And here's all gray on a Model S with some accent points (love it or hate it, we had to do this for a shoot).

[​IMG]

6. jlewisthe3rd

jlewisthe3rd New Member

Looks OK, but in general painted or wrapped wheels look better with a larger rim and lower profile tires. The standard rims seem to suffocate the calipers so making them black enhances that. The older standard wheels had more space so painting them wasnt as bad...you may also try wrapping them so they dont have that shiny look, it may break it up a bit.

7. Lodo1000

Lodo1000 New Member

I like it it a lot. Chrome ties in just enough with other accents on the car. Looks great!