Wheel size choice and range

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Ygor, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Ygor

Ygor New Member

It is my understanding that the aero wheel has a 10% percent difference in range.

However, it is not clear if that is on top of the 220/310 range listed on the car.

So, does anyone know if you take the aerowheel caps off, do you then get 10% less range (so about 200/280 miles), OR do the aero wheel covers give you a 10% boost on top of the listed range? Also, what is the range with the larger wheels?

I am trying to decide what wheels to get, but I am not sure that I want to pay an extra $1500 for the nicer looking wheels, if I end losing range. The smaller wheels also look great without the aerocover on, so if the range is 220 WITHOUT the covers, it makes the decision simpler.

2. GoingofftheGrid

GoingofftheGrid New Member

Great question. Wish I knew the answer but I’m following you feed.

Ps - there was a recent srtivke stating that 20” wheels would be available for the AWD M3 as well. Although not sure if this will yield any gain/loss in mileage.

But surely a smoother ride.

3. GrandPoobah

GrandPoobah Member

I don't think ALL the range difference is simply with the Aero covers, but also because the standard wheels are about 6 lbs lighter than the sport wheels. You also need to consider the practicality of 18" wheels over 19" wheels as tires will probably will be less expensive (and last longer as well). The lower sidewalls of the 19" tires will be more susceptible to damage from potholes/etc. The 19's will also provide better handling but with a stiffer ride. I have to admit, they look good, though!

You could also consider a "compromise" ... get the standard wheels and then purchase after-market 18" rims (T-Sportline, others) which provide a similar aesthetic to the sport wheels. You could either sell the original rims with Aero covers or use them for winter tires.

4. GoingofftheGrid

GoingofftheGrid New Member

Yes..... I like the last idea... consider keeping the 18" tires, purchase after market upgraded rims.... and use the Aero covers for the winter tires --- especially if like me, you are leaning towards the RWD option - to get the M3 sooner than later :)

great idea!

5. JordanWilliamson

The price on the sport wheels is pretty much retail right?

I think I'll end up getting the standard wheels and if I wanted to upgrade buy aftermarket 19" rims and use the 18s as said for winter tires.

6. GrandPoobah

GrandPoobah Member

The only problem with this approach is that the stock 18" tires are not winter tires, so you'll need to wait until the first set of tires wear down or sell them, probably at a loss. That's why I proposed staying with the 18's for both. However, if you truly want the 19's for better summer handling, then your approach is certainly a way to get there.

7. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Active Member

I think 19-20" wheels will fit the M3 wheel well nicely. Im wondering if the model S grey 20" rims fit the model 3.