What will the Model Y be?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by gene, May 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. We know Mr. Musk wants to be keep Tesla S-E-X-Y which then begs the question, what will the Model Y be?

If you look at the automotive industry and the category of cars each manufacturer has, Tesla covers the luxury sedan category (Model S); the SUV/crossover (Model X); the affordable sedan (Model 3); but missing a coupe. Assuming the Roadster already covers the sports car category - one that will be revamped and said to be the fastest Tesla yet with Maximum Plaid mode - the Model Y will likely be an even more affordable (<$35k) 2-door coupe based off of the Model 3 design. After all if the company intends to produce nearly 400k Model 3, which will likely become a much higher figure by the time production starts next year, Tesla can take its learnings and literally 'stamp out cars' with extreme efficiency at a low production cost.

What do you guys think? Model Y will be ....

2. This may be odd to say... But I am personally more intrigued and curious about the Y than the 3! We somewhat new all along what the Model 3 would be. Not all the details but we had a general idea.

But with the Y, there is not much! Will the Y be the hatchback or the coupe? Will it have falcon wing doors?... The suspense is KILLING me

3. Ive been guessing it will be a CUV like the Honda CRX size/function. Very popular space. So 3 wheelbase, but higher up and a hatch. No fancy FWD's, and cheaper than the X. So the 3 is a baby S and the Y is a baby X.

4. Ive been guessing it will be a CUV like the Honda CRX size/function. Very popular space. So 3 wheelbase, but higher up and a hatch. No fancy FWD's, and cheaper than the X. So the 3 is a baby S and the Y is a baby X.

5. That's an interesting way to look at it: 3 is a smaller S and Y is a smaller X.

I try to follow the news as much as possible but this may have slipped by... Do we know when the second unveiling will be? I've heard rumors about the event possibly being towards the end of June.

6. I'd think not until later this year after things are more finalized and the suppliers are locked down etc. Also if they're doing the HUD they have to develop the thing.

7. Good observation, that would make much more sense.