What will the 3 cost you?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Teslaliving, Feb 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Slack007

Slack007 New Member

Don't underestimate Elon - he puts large objects into space. The secret sauce is coming when full level 5 is deployed and you can run your own Uber company - without needing to drive anyone anywhere. That is where the key card comes in. It will drive to a passenger and they will unlock with their card that was sent to them by "Tesla Uber" - or they just use their phone to unlock. If your car could pay for the car payment - and you could use it anytime you wanted - this is the big shift that will change the car industry IMHO.

2. GrandPoobah

GrandPoobah Member

Slack007, I commend you for going solar and your approach for mathematically "justifying" your Tesla purchase, but alarm bells go off whenever I hear someone who wants to rely on Autopilot so they can "get work done" on their commute. Enhanced Autopilot is little more than Cruise Control, Adaptive Lane Keeping, and Automatic Braking tied together into one neat package. Reaching true Level 5 and handling all the corner cases (idiot drivers) will take YEARS to perfect. Today's Enhanced Autopilot REQUIRES the driver's attention in case it fails to detect a threat. Even when Tesla comes out with Full Self Driving it likely won't be true level 5, but rather level 4, still requiring some user attention. Personally, it will take many years before I entrust MY life to some machine (even a Tesla).

That being said, I can't wait to get my M3 with Autopilot ... but I'll be attentive when using it, and use it mainly when I'm stuck in rush hour traffic on the freeway (well marked lanes) and NOT going 70 MPH. Perhaps my trust will grow over time ... trust, but verify. :)

3. Slack007

Slack007 New Member

Trust me - I'm not proud of working in the car - but it is part of the job, unfortunately. The good part is that I live and travel in the middle of nowhere - and really try and keep it as safe as possible. My phone is always ringing and I get up to 400 emails a day while driving up to 250 miles every day M-F. I hired a driver for a summer and it was great - although he was 18 and made me more nervous than anything.

When the Blackberry was first introduced - I was first in line cash in hand before anyone really understood what it was or how it was going to change things. I had a huge 3-4 year advantage over others in my field. Before we would wait until we came home to download emails and then spend 3-6 hours online working late into the night. I see the Tesla with AP the same way. I hope the technology will get to a point that it will offer the same advantages by increasing productivity and give me an edge over my competition. My hopes are there - but I will not trust it 100% until the technology gets better (like the iPhone did to the Blackberry). I don't think that most people that travel like I do see the future and the possibilities yet.

• Like Like x 1
  4. meadorjoshgmail-com

meadorjoshgmail-com New Member

5. ngtech

ngtech Member

Thanks for the link! Is the $1000 delivery charge confirmed? It's a little shocking to see $861/month for the car with all the options I want. :( Can you add an option to pay more downpayment? I'm thinking I'll put down the $10k I get from the tax credits. Thanks for making the tool!

6. Carol Palmer

Carol Palmer New Member

A fascinating review says Model 3 combines real world range, performance, safety and spaciousness into premium sedan. It is affordable too

• Like Like x 1
  7. xnappo

xnappo New Member

Yeah - good idea. Also would be nice to have a trade-in value, and subtract that from the taxable value (at least that is how it works in TX).

8. ngtech

ngtech Member

Interesting! That's pretty awesome that it comes out of the taxable value. Good motivation to do a trade-in!

9. xnappo

xnappo New Member

Yeah, but part of the Texas auto dealer cartel keeping Tesla from selling directly. Interestingly it still seems to apply even with the weird Texas two step we have to do to buy Teslas here.

The typical auto dealer just low-balls the Blue Book value and then says 'yeah, but consider the tax difference and it matches the blue book!' - so this is a gov't kickback to auto dealers.

10. ngtech

ngtech Member

Man, that's frustrating. :( I look forward to a day when we no longer have to deal with annoying auto dealers. It's bound to happen, but sounds like it'll take some time while they're paying off government officials.

11. ngtech

ngtech Member

I ended up taking off $7500 of extras off my build to get an estimate that would simulate a $10,000 down payment (hopefully the amount of my tax credit) and the monthly cost over 72 months still ends up at $742/month. Still a painfully high number to look at. I'm really tempted to just give up on AP and pay for it later if I feel I really need it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Msbaskin

Msbaskin New Member

What I still would like to know if you can get the sport wheel in 18". I hate the black wheel and upset that I have to pay $1500 to get the 19" tire to get the sport wheel? Did anyone hear if this can be done?

13. xnappo

xnappo New Member

You know those black aero covers come off right?

14. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Though we don't know for sure, it is highly unlikely, I'm afraid.
    Yes. Under them of course is a different kind of wheel, V-spokes, which we've seen on some release candidates...

15. ngtech

ngtech Member

According to the pictures that were posted of the configurator, there are only two options for rims. 18" aero and 19" sport wheels. Both have wheel covers which are kinda cheesy.

16. Msbaskin

Msbaskin New Member

I did not know that. Thanks. What are the wheels under the black look like??. Also have you heard anything about battery consumption with heater or air at full blast. The east coast has extreme whether conditions. Thanks

17. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

18. xnappo

xnappo New Member

It is really odd that there are not more pictures with the aero covers off.

19. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Well there are a few in the thread, no?
    In any case the 19'' look a heck of a lot better so might as well promote them!!! ;)

20. xnappo

xnappo New Member

Yeah, it just seems strange they don't show them better on the order page. But then again I need to keep in mind how few people that actually matters for at the moment.

Hey - stop reading this and tell us the big discovery in the other thread!!