What will the 3 cost you?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Teslaliving, Feb 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

I agree with you that $75k for a Model ≡ starts to feel a bit steep (although if it would get you a P75D with Ludicrous - and if you have the money! - this could be quite fun; btw, at 184.8'', the car is not so small...).
    However, am highly skeptical you'll be able to get a Daimler (Mercedes) EQ for $49k... Where did you see that number? Everything I have read up to now points more to $55-60k. In addition, everything related to that car that is not likely to launch before 2019 is conjecture. Don't even know what the final production vehicle will look like compared to the prototype we've seen...
    So, will there be other nice cars launched over the next two to three years, and beyond, absolutely. How many of them will be under $50k remains to be seen...

2. JT3

JT3 New Member

Actually i've read that AWD is less efficient

3. PapaSlabes

PapaSlabes New Member

Dual motor configurations give better range (e.g. with the Model S 75, dual motor range is 259, single motor range is 249)

4. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

1) for better efficiency (eg. More miles),
    2) Plus this is how to get the additional benefit of full regenerative braking...

The first I forgot but true, the second I didn't know, but logical. Both are positive additions for which I want to wait a year and a bit more from this moment. I hope to get my M3 P85D on September 17, 2018.

5. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

@Mergoscia , welcome back...
    I hate to burst your bubble yet it seems like you've been smoking something while away..?! :D
    P85D? In Western Europe by end 3Q18 when you reserved... when again ?! I don't think so... :p

6. Gonzalo Zamora

Gonzalo Zamora New Member

RWD
    Full Auto Pilot

Good for me.

7. bobby

bobby New Member

I put the deposit down on my Model 3 a few months ago so I have some time do decide on features. One thing that confuses me is the Self Driving Feature. I have a 70 mile round trip commute to work every day so self driving would be nice. I saw a video on youtube where the tesla was doing all the driving and the driver was basically sitting back and watching. It went through all kinds of streets and highways and eventually parked itself. Is that how the self driving is for the model 3? You can punch in an address and it will sit back and do the rest? I took a test drive over a year ago for a Model S and the autopilot feature seemed much less advanced. I think I will probably get the self driving feature because any help I get for my commute would be great.

8. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    It doesn't do anything close to what you saw in that video yet. Not sure how they pulled off the video but latest AP2 hardware is basically advanced lane keeping + smart cruise control. Its all coming "soon" but that could be months or years away the way Tesla moves. AP is very oversold right now for what it actually does.

9. bobby

bobby New Member

Thanks. I got my hopes up with that video. It seems its more like what I test drove.

10. rareohs

rareohs New Member

Disagree respectfully... 1st off HIGHLY doubt maxed 3 will be $75k. I'll guess 60ish but hopefully we know more tonight!

And for me, I'd much rather have a loaded 3 w/what sounds like will be 300+ range than a barebones S since the S I'd actually want would be min $90k.

11. Bob Hinden

Bob Hinden New Member

We ordered our M3 on the first day. I am expecting to pay around $50K (before tax credit). My preferences for options are bigger battery and autopilot. Hopefully will know more tonight!

12. BenitoFR06

BenitoFR06 New Member

My model ≡ has been pre-ordered in 2016.
    Even if in EU (France) we have to wait to have details I would like to have:

- Long range battery 310 miles
    - Pearl White Multi-Coat
    - 19' sport wheels (could be 18', only interested by the shape)
    - Premium Upgrades
    - Enhanced auto-pilot (already works in EU Model S)

Additionally:
    - AWD if available

In my dreams:
    - Open roof (not scheduled?)
    - Towing hitch => would be possible apparently?
    - Full driving capability if it works and legal in EU

13. Gonzalo Zamora

Gonzalo Zamora New Member

Looking like 49K for me before incentives.

14. Dan8

Dan8 New Member

#74 Dan8, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Saw several discussions on the EQ that have the EQ pricing lower than a well equipped GLC today, guessing at $39K. It's a simpler car. Any EV that is priced over $40K is no longer a 'people's car', and even that's a stretch. The price wars will become absolutely furious once a few manufacturers have their models out starting in '19 or '20. It will be another world war for a place in the sun so to speak. Tesla may not be able to keep up due to sheer exhaustion having been burned out. I'm willing to bet Elon will sell the entire package in a few years before the competition both local and overseas surrounds him and eats him up. This is the dawn of a new global transportation era and everyone is going to ante in big time. Elon is not that big of a player, he's on his own while others have entire nations and governments behind them. Consider the far East gorillas to begin with. I still want my M3 but going to stick close to $35K and may even wait for the Mod Y or an EQ or whatever. (reports say the Mercedes self driving today feels more natural than Tesla's) Here in Kalifornia, Emperor Moon Beam Brown will most likely chip in if the Feds do away with the EV rebate. We're all riding a big Tesla hype right now so best to be careful and looking ahead.

15. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

You are of course entitled to your opinion, @Dan8 , yet I continue to expect the price of the future EQ to be more in the $55-60k range. It has never been Daimler's practice to undercut competition with price, rather with what lots would see as superior engineering & quality.

I will agree with you that any car selling for over $40k is not for 'the masses', yet, though Model 3 pricing if you want everything is quite a bit north of that, within some time, one will able to get one pretty nice one with the standard range for roundabout that threshold level and that in itself is a game changer.

16. Dan8

Dan8 New Member

Appreciate your points. My take is that EVs are and will be even much simpler to build as time goes on and that will drive down costs, allow more entries into the market and we will see a food fight as never before. Drive trains will no longer be the big drivers in manufacturing and the new discriminators will be comfort, safety and self driving, all of which will also reach their limits very quickly lowering costs even more. The revolution was coming but Musk just jump started it by about 10 years and not sure he will survive it.

17. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Thank you, Dan.

For sure there will competition as time goes. Yet the deeper EVs penetrate the entire huge global transportation market, the more there will be room for many players that will gradually play in the various segments of that market. Just like for ICE carmakers though some level of concetration did occur through the last several decades.

Time will tell as to T≡SLA's ability to survive longer term... Yet, to the extent they come out of the upcoming Model 3 production ramp up 'hell' during the next 6-9 months, I feel confident that, with their technology lead and ever extensive SC network, they will remain amounts key players to be reckoned with.

18. Stevo

Stevo New Member

Think you are correct so I bailed. Will look into preowned S. Best of luck to all - - - - -

19. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Good luck to you! Remember - if that matters to you, that is... - that some of the cheapest ones are likely to be pre-AP1... Enjoy, and let us have a pic when you find one! :)

20. Slack007

Slack007 New Member

I love to look at it this way.

I reserved on day 0 before it was launched.
    I drive for work 99% of the time and turn over cars about every 200K.
    I'm hopeful that I can get more mileage than that from an electric car - but time will tell.

I'm hopeful that autopilot and eventually full level 5 will increase my work time with much greater safety than what I do now (talking on the phone to emailing between accounts).

So if I do drop 60K on this car then:

1. I get the 7,500 rebate = 52,500

2. If I drive 200,000 miles at my current GLA 32MPG @ 3.40 a gallon = $21,250 in fuel savings = $31,250. (I have a 25KW Solar array on the farm - I already paid for that so I'm not going to calculate the energy costs into this - I know this is a LOT of solar and not normal).

3. If I can get another 10 hours a week of work done while in the car (I already work in the car - so I'm just hoping it will be a much safer option). then I can justify spending 31K. The additional productivity will more than pay for the car alone - but it was a huge factor in my decision. I know it is not safe - I understand it is not something to be proud of in a non-automated car.

4. It will put my wife's Range Rover out to pasture as she takes my GLA bumping her MPG by a factor of 3. She drives about 30K a year so average 5K a year in additional gas savings X 4 years = 20K savings on Car #2.

So - all in all, 11K for a new Model 3. Safer - faster - greener.
    I hope full level 5 will be available when my 10-year-old hits 16.

I am fully aware that this makes no sense - that not everybody can afford this kind of thinking - and that most of my assumptions are pie in the sky - but wanted to throw it out there for consideration. I put in a lot of solar with the same thought pattern and that has worked out well for us.

• Like Like x 1