What will the 3 cost you?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Teslaliving, Feb 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

We had extensive discussions on M3OC on the subject of 'bundles' as a enabler for streamlining with quite some (large) differences of opinions as to the likelihood of that occurring with Model ≡, as well as on the relative value for buyer and seller to leverage them....
    I am a firm believer, as a longtime BMW driver (now totally & irrevocably converted to T≡SLA! :)) in the benefits of bundles or 'packs' as they are called in Europe... However, I believe the ideal scenario would be for T≡SLA to also offer, as much as effectively feasible, some options/upgrades individually, at a premium, so that those not interested in all or most options included in bundles, to tailor their dream Vehicle as they please....
    Let's see what happens when the Model ≡ Design Studio is up & running!

2. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    I'm just hoping the interior is at least on par with my (2014) Model S. Even at that level it's really not a $70K car interior but I can live with it. The newer seats would be nice.

3. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

#23 Mergoscia, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    My ideal model 3 would be
    - P85D,
    - enhanched Auto-pilot,
    - self driving function,
    - premium upgrade package with HEPA ventilation, Bioweapon defense mode, carbon filters and external lightning,
    - NO need for internal upgrades, like leather, headliners and dockingsystems (I am a vegan; so no animalskin inside)
    - Ultra High Fidelity for classical music,
    - Pirelli wintertires,
    - Best brakes/ Brembo ventilated brakes,
    - maybe air-suspention,
    - maybe upgrade internal loader,
    - Solar energy roof,
    - Dark Blue (The royal blue; not the blue Tesla has at the moment).

And most ideal would be that my Chinese wife is very content and enthousiastic about the 3. It'll be my money, but the Empress has to be driven in and when possible with the best mood she can have, ha, ha!

• Like Like x 1
  4. GrandPoobah

GrandPoobah New Member

#24 GrandPoobah, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    If I can't configure my Model 3 for less than $50K, I'll probably be buying a used Model S.

Must haves:
    Dual Motors
    Sub Zero Package (heated seats)
    EAP

Wish List:
    300 mile range (larger battery)
    Leather Seats
    Self Driving

5. GrandPoobah

GrandPoobah New Member

My "empress" wants the heated seats. Everything else is for me. :)

6. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    I don't think a 300 mile Model 3 will be < $50k...

7. GrandPoobah

GrandPoobah New Member

Since the large battery isn't one of my "must haves", I'm pretty sure I'll be under $50K, but my "wish list" may need to take a hit. None of us know what any of these options are going to cost (although I appreciate the informed guesses), but one option I may take is to get the larger battery and not the EAP, since that could be added later ... you know, after I win the lottery. :)

8. Dan8

Dan8 New Member

I say paying over 50K for a fully appointed M3 is 'ludicrous'. Musk would be making a big mistake if he goes in that direction. Those kind of prices will cut the demand in half and I would start considering a nice model S.

9. Maric

Maric New Member

Based on speculative options pricing, here is what I'm looking at.

Base Car Price $35,000 35000
    AWD $2,800 2800
    RWD $0
    Full Auto Pilot $5,600 5600
    Panoramic Roof $1,050 1050
    Leather Seats $1,750 1750
    Paint $700 700
    Premium Decor (CFB) $700 700
    TOTAL 47600
    TAX $3,850.00
    Car + Estimated TAX = $51,450.00

Given the recent move to package bundles, I may not get to select some of these options.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TrevP

TrevP New Member

Home Page:
    Could go either way:

1. Same Tesla Model S option premium pricing (aka, easily double the cost of the car)
    2. Cheaper options more befitting the car's base price and target market (BMW 3 series
    I've always been leaning towards #2 but expecting #1 for budgetary needs. Elon's hints at AWD costing less leads me believe they're very aware of price sensitivity and their transparency about Model S premium pricing as a requirement to fund R&D

• Like Like x 3
  11. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

#31 Mergoscia, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    I can skip the upgrade for the internal loader. Here in The Netherlands, Europe, we don't need that, I heard the seller say today at the Tesla store in The Hague. The following was said as well. For European buyers the following applies. When you reserved a model 3 and want to get it delivered according your ranking you HAVE to BUY and PAY the car in advance. Even 3 to 5 months before you can see it in real life and do a testdrive in a democar. When the car does not match your expectations you cannot undo the contract and you are bound to buy.

Nice food for European Consumerlawyers.

But if that is the case really I am not going to buy a model 3. I really want to know what I buy. I am not buying just based on Internet-informations, nice sleaky advertissement, video's and air-dreams. I am not going to throw away Euro 50 to 80.000

So perhaps a demo model S 90D??????????????????????????? or a Lucid Air????????????

12. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

@Mergoscia , with all due respect, I find that very hard to believe... Of course, if you were one of the (very) early reservation holders, you may be able to be asked confirm your order ahead of the car being in stores and available for test drives. However as I understand it, you are also free to delay that order once for a relatively long period of time (presumably 6-9 months at least).
    I expect we'll start seeing the car over here by the end of this year or early 2018, which should be early enough for most of us before any irreversible decision needs to be made.
    In addition, to your point, I don't think EU legislation, in most countries, would permit an obligation to pay all of it upfront, not to mention that this seems like a highly uncommercial, unheard of practice in this industry... which would for sure turn most reservation holder away, including me, if confirmed. This cannot be T≡SLA's intent... :confused:
    My advice is to stay tuned... ;)

13. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

#33 Mergoscia, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    @ Michael Russo,
    About the purchase in advance. Either me myself or my ears found that very hard to believe too. But THAT was what the Tesla-seller in The Hague said to me yesterday. And he added: "that happened with the model X as well. People had to buy and pay 4 to 5 months ahead of the delivery. And none had the change to see the car in real life or do a testdrive first". For people who buy a car of upto Euro 180.000 I think that is a extremely strange thing to do. ( of course ........in the first seconds I thought the seller tried to pull me a leg. But the tone of his voice and his behaviour said he was genuine in what he said AND I am an extremely good analist). That is why I was surprised.
    About the legislation I think you are right in general and applies for 99,8 % of all cases. But one can agree to accept other conditions in special situations. In this case I think it is easy food for lawyers.
    Another possibility was that he was heading to try and sell me a model S, cause that came upfront a few minutes later.
    Either way it was not such a smart move of the seller. It gives me food for thought in proceeding.

But definately I am not going to buy a model S when it is less than 90 kWh. A model S needs at least 90D for force, speed and distance.

14. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Agree pretty much on all your points, @Mergoscia . Still not clear on the 0.2% of cases where this crazy practice would be legally acceptable yet, then again, I am not a lawyer...
    Sadly, as much as I find T≡SLA reps friendly, my experience with them in various Stores around the world has been that they don't seem to know much more about what will happen with Model ≡ than you and I! ;)

15. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

@Michael Russo,

Me too I am not a lawyer, but my whole life I had a lot to do with all kinds of national, international and regional law and regulations.
    When you are involved with contracts between 2 private enteties you can change all kind of conditions next to or instead of what is written in general as well as in specialized law and regulations. Certainly when the new conditions are voluntarely accepted by both parties and not to far off the law. If that is wise to do, is a totally other thing................
    You are right about the knowledgebank of the employees in the stores. I do think you and me know a lot more about the model 3 then the employees. But I do not think that is to blame to the individual employee. This is due to the timing of the productionproces. Furthermore the information given by Tesla is very limited.

16. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

@Mergoscia , totaal akkoord! :)

17. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

18. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

@Mergoscia , not quite. Italian national, French mothertongue, speaking 6 languages (Dutch being one of course... ;)), American wife and... T≡SLA aficionado anxiously waiting his Midnight S≡R≡NITY!! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

#39 Mergoscia, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    @Michael Russo,
    I am Dutch national, but via my father from North-Italian descent. That is why the nickname Mergoscia, the name of the last village of living of my branch. The family name is Stringa. In 900 AC the family came from Romania to NE Italy, went to SW France with the Christian Vere (the Cathare) and some did escape and came back to North Italy. From my mother's side German. I as well speak 6 languages, Chinese wife and Tesla-fool endless waiting my royal blue small sedan like a child screaming: "I want Bolletje, I want my Tesla" ha, ha.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

#40 Mergoscia, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    I just saw a new video released with possible costs of the model 3. Mine with 200 kW on the front wheels and 300 kW on the back wheels will cost me $ 67500 if I would live in the States and then I still do not have all the options. Pretty steep price, I think. Do not haves are no ludicrous, no premium seats/ interior, no sound system, no cold weather package and unfortunately 20 inch wheels included in stead of 19 inch. And still wondering if the HEPA-filtering is included??? That's something I need as being allergic and having lung-problems.
    But what is positive is that it will be a (P)80D.
    Overall pretty steep, I think and then..............What will the price be in Europe? Although I can pay, I do not know if I am willing to pay that price.