What will the 3 cost you?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Teslaliving, Feb 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    I'm guessing I can get a pretty loaded Model 3 for about $70K. This is based on the base price of $35K and the fact that most Tesla's top out at 2x the base price.

In the end, I want one as comparably equipped (range, interior) as my S as possible but with autopilot and AWD.

Interested in hearing what others think on this front.

2. gene

gene Moderator

I was thinking $70k as well since presumably a fully loaded Model 3 would be comparable to a base Model S.

The "Shots of Jameson" guys does a nice breakdown of the different types of configurations that might be available for the Model 3. He seems to believe a fully loaded version with 90-100 kWh pack would top out at $75k. But not now that Elon confirmed there won't be a Model 3 100D, we could subtract the assumed cost of the bigger battery and net out at approximately $70k for a loaded Model 3.

Now the question is, would you buy a fully loaded Model 3 or entry level Model S? This seems like something Mr. Teslanomics @Ben Sullins might be able to analyze :)

3. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    I was thinking perhaps ludicrous may push it past 70K and that's something I could care less about. Premium audio is another I don't care about if it exists. But I'm expecting the early orders to be some severely restricted configurations.

Any thoughts on what they may restrict the configs to for the first few months?

4. gene

gene Moderator

I was chatting with someone about this recently and I actually think Tesla will come out of the gate with very unrestricted features. Only because they have to satisfy presumably 500k owners before they can introduce another 'upgrade' or new feature. There's no way they can make vehicle alterations 50% into deliveries without really pissing off the other half. It would create a logistical nightmare.

So, yeah, unrestricted. Lots of options to choose from.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    That would be a first for them. For all the other cars it was very restricted and just a loaded version only. They needed time to refine the line plus the extra income to fund the rest. If they go with full flexibility from the start it could be a real mess.

Also, they've stated previously that they'll deliver higher level configs first which may not mean the orders are restricted but they are building certain models first.

I just hope that they indicate when you can order what minimum combo is necessary to get the best possible placement in line on a config basis. Can't change where I live or where I stood in line on 3/31/16, but I can still change that config.

6. gene

gene Moderator

Any reason to think they'll do this any differently than they did with Model S and Model X? They'll open up orders for everyone, then prioritize based on fully loaded first and work their way down from most to least expensive, in terms of delivery priority.

I doubt they'll be able to tell you, ok, order this, this and that and you'll get delivery then simply because the this, this and that will be relative to the overall sample.

7. clprenz

clprenz Member

Based on my results from my survey- some people are expecting to spend close to $75k on their Model 3. Which I think sounds about right for the Model 3. What about you guys?

8. Ben Sullins

Ben Sullins Member

I'm guessing 70K is high...especially since Elon confirmed today that they won't be getting a 100kWh battery

9. clprenz

clprenz Member

So Thinking through this a bit more:
    This is my thought process
    Base Price: $35k
    Battery Included: 55kWh
    Options:
    Upgraded Battery: 70kWh (300 range) $8k
    Dual Drive: $5k
    Performance Upgrade: $10k
    Interior Upgrades: $5k
    Self Driving Features: $4k
    Paint: $1k
    Wheels: $3k
    Stereo: $2k
    Climate: $1k
    Total: $74k
    Things to think about: how many battery options will there be? Will dual drive be standard? How much will performance model be?

10. Ben Sullins

Ben Sullins Member

I could see that. But dual drive standard? That would eat the frunk right? I actually wouldn't be surprised if they don't offer a dual motor option due to space.

11. clprenz

clprenz Member

I thought I saw Elon Tweet once that all platforms will be dual going forward. But I have no idea where I heard that. I think it's anyone's guess. I definitely think it will be an option- probably will have quite a small motors compared to the Model S/X given the weight reduction and hopefully more aerodynamic design (thus netting less speed need)

12. Ben Sullins

Ben Sullins Member

yeah I would be pretty bummed if dual motor was standard, I have zero need for it and would rather have the frunk

• Like Like x 1
  13. gene

gene Moderator

Elon definitely said Model 3 would be RWD standard. Here it is.

14. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

When dual motor with AWD is not available, I am not even considering a model 3. I want to be able to drive through Northern Europe (Scandinavia) in severe winter conditions (and on frozen lakes, like 007 did ha, ha) .

15. Electric Jen

Electric Jen Member

My assumption, sadly, is that the P model will require D.
    Lots of folks would probably love a performance rear wheel drive version with a bigger frunk. Myself included.
    But I get that the D is part of what maxes out the performance and handling. I'm just not willing to fork over $70k. Actually, might not even be willing to cross over $50...

16. clprenz

clprenz Member

I'm assuming our Model 3 will tick in at just around $55-60k
    Base: $35k
    Top Battery Cost: $12k
    Dual Drive: $4k
    Interior upgrades: $3k
    Self-Driving: $4k

17. Tesla Addict

Tesla Addict Member

Same ball park for us; we'll most likely go for the biggest battery pack, Cold Winter Package and maybe Autopilot. However, because my family and I are Canadian, we'll most likely be paying a little extra due to the USD-CAD exchange...

18. FJA

FJA New Member

Not very familiar with future pricing, but isn't auto-pilot already 8K? I assume most folks who get autopilot will want the full package. Also, I expect more options to be available than the S - otherwise it will become hard for Tesla to differentiate. So for example, either leather seats are more expensive or the premium package is cut up into more pieces.

19. clprenz

clprenz Member

I'm assuming they will make autopilot more affordable on the Model 3. I agree though on the point of the interior- it won't be as nice and will have more "upgrades"

20. gene

gene Moderator

Considering the fact that Tesla has been discontinuing options and making "bundle sets" so that production is more streamlined, I can't imagine them wanting to make "more upgrades" for Model 3. Especially if Model 3 is projected to be nearly 5x in volume. That seems highly inefficient.

Tesla bundles Model X interior options

Tesla discontinues ventilated seat options (making Model S and X seats the same)

Tesla bundles Model S interior options

Instead, they'll likely follow a S, M, L model with the smallest option being the entry level $35k version.