What ever happened to the Roadster 3.0 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by teslarati, May 19, 2016.

1. I remember hearing about the Roadster battery upgrade that was supposed to promise nearly 400 miles of range, but was this ever implemented and was the range as promised?

My understanding is that the upgrade is labor intensive and thus the high price. Anyone have more info on how this panned out?

2. Actually, the only thing that seems to have come out of this program is an expanded battery that folks have installed.

There have been several installs and I've seen one specific Roadster 2.x installed with the expanded battery. All the body kit things that Tesla announced were not installed on the vehicle that I've seen and on the other ones that have these things installed.

The battery of the specific Roadster that I've seen was maxed at 341 miles of range (charging to 100% (or range charge as it's known on Roadsters)) In Daily charging (aka standard charge on Roadsters) it was reported to be closer to 231 miles. Comparing that to my wife's Roadster, (Range charge = 224 miles, Standard charge = 174 miles) it's a great upgrade and doesn't take away from the look of the car.

The price is $29,000 miles for the battery.

3. That's quite an investment considering you can almost purchase a Model 3 with "at least 215 miles" of range for just a little more :)

But I suppose Roadster owners aren't too concerned about costs *jealous*

4. I can't speak for ALL Roadster owners, but we're aware of our costs... ;)

gene likes this.
  5. Dennis, did you guys think about upgrading your Roadster? Was it cost that stopped you?

6. #6 Dennis, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
    Healthy battery.

My wife's battery is still pretty healthy. Roadster batteries are measured by something called the CAC and her battery is still pretty good (even though it is almost 8 years old.)

We had a scare a few years ago, but we've figured out the differences in how to use and charge the Roadster. (I had a series of posts on this in July 2014: 1-Rebalancing the Battery Pack, 2-CAC and Ideal Miles Testing, 3-Update on Testing, and 4-Range Test) In the end it was all resolved by changing our charging behavior for the Roadster.

The Tesla Roadster community created several tools and the like that helps Roadster owners be able to see into the car and its capabilities.

Things like the OVMS and the ability to download, parse, and read the logs.

When her battery ages and degrades significantly or if Tesla sends out a "last call" for 3.0 upgrade, we'll probably opt for it. In the meantime, we took a second Model 3 reservation as a "call option" on a replacement daily driver for her "baby" as well.

7. No need for the extra range?

8. The S or 3 will be a lot more comfortable for driving. Lack of Supercharging makes it tougher to travel long-distance.

There are third party solutions to that as I've demonstrated with the developers and first owners to implement:

or here

And though the 3rd party JdeMO upgrade is tempting to me, my wife doesn't want it.

170 mile daily range is perfectly acceptable to her.

9. Ah ok, makes sense. I thought they had some kind of adapter to hook them up to Superchargers but I never looked into it.

10. Yup. Roadsters were pre-supercharging and I would assume that it is the #1 requested feature for folks who are subsequent owners. Original owners seem to be more forgiving.