Volkswagen CEO slams stricter emissions regulations amid hopes for 'diesel renaissance'

Discussion in 'In the News' started by simonalvarez0987, Oct 11, 2018.

1. stefano

stefano New Member

@agdejager Thank you very much.
    I know very well about the tesla supercharger develop.i also have some friends with model S but...at moment here they have serious problems of charging in many areas especially doing highway where real consumption is 2.5km /kw-
    The big problem in italy and in many other countries isnt the supercharger net.
    Tesla is doing an huge effort considering how small is the company.
    The big problem is the huge delay of a general infrastructure and i suppose it's not a case...european car makers are in big delay with their electric product and they dont want to make a gift to tesla...in italy the biggest power supplier is controlled by the gov.
    they forecast to install 180 fast chargers in 2017 and they did ZERO.
    now the new gov is less "friend" with ICE makers and gave them the green light
    some towers are already installed but will need more than 1 year to get acceptable infrastructure.
    those chargers works till 150kw.
    i suppose end 2019 italy will be "electric friendly".
    pls consider also that the power supply industry is very excited about electric cars because it is a fantastic opportunity for them.
    but in italy,france and mainly germany the car industry has a lot of power.
    also in spain there are many ICE plants...
    so we dont need so much imagination
    anyway i repeat,
    here the people is ready for a big change..within 1 year i hope this dream will be also realistic.
    as i said...sorry for my bad english i dont want to use translators that maybe are worse than me :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

@stefano salve!
    The important thing is we’re on the right track! Keep the faith... :)

3. stefano

stefano New Member

@Ruben Laan
    the tesla policy is clear,they begun from premium market and they are moving on the mass market but slowly.
    the costs are going down just making big volume.
    so...roadster...modelS...modelX...model3 high level versions and half next year model 3 cheaper versions.
    is easier to sell a model X at 140000usd than a small city car at 60000usd
    so city cars with serious battery packs are not possible at moment,will arrive later.
    is better to attract premium clients than try the mass market at moment.
    DIESEL...
    i bougth 10 months ago the first new X3Msport arrived in my town, 3.0D very very fast and efficent.
    it is euro 6last vesrion with AD blue...
    i'm very happy about this car but 90% will be my last diesel.
    the euro 6C is too complicate and expensive.just to give you an idea also with cold engine the cooling fan remain on largest time i switch off the engine..it is because they put a new catalizer pratically inside the engine.
    all is becoming very complicate and for sure those cars cannot keep low emissions for long time.
    i see all diesel cars after a few years become big smokers.
    many companies are abandoning this technology and the future euro 7 willl be a mess for diesel.
    if i look to the future i would like to get clean and quieter cities so we need electric cars.
    we cannot more invest in old technologies.
    from november in all the north of italy the local govs found an agreement to stop all diesel cars euro0-1-2-3
    and petrol cars euro 0-1-2
    next year diesel euro4 will be on the aim too...within 7/10 years all diesels will be banned from the big cities.
    so a diesel euro 6C-D can be the right choice for today but could be a mess for your pocket tomorrow.
    this time i got the car with a leasing at prefixed price return,i dont want to risk to buy a car now with no value tomorrow.
    i really believe that a big change is arriving in EU too and we need to ride the bull or the bull will smash us.........

4. stefano

stefano New Member

i dont think EV can get the mass market soon ...but i think tesla can get premium market soon,
    "premium" customers are able to invest some more money in innovation if they believe it,
    so the "disruptive" first action can arrive on bmw/audi/mb/cadillac/infiniti and so on...maybe volvo and jaguar are a bit forward or maybe they really believe in the big change.
    pls consider that audi/bmw/mb are the biggest and richiest car company of the world.they are premium market leader and they dont like to play the new game.
    in the new game they can loose it so they prefer to continue to play the old one till will be possible.
    they already suffer tesla in USA and some small markets.
    when model 3 will arrive in EU we could see a new step...
    but the biggest one will be the model Y.
    the medium suv market is the gold mine now....if tesla arrive there with a nice car ...it could be a big bang.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Taylor S Marks

Taylor S Marks Active Member

You're still making the mistake of thinking new car sales will remain steady. Reread my second point. People will buy used or keep their current cars instead of buying new ones. Another possibility - new cars can have costs cut, but all that'll do is destroy margin and undo the companies even faster.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Spudley

Spudley Member

The real killer for new car sales could be self-driving cars.

All the main players developing self-driving tech are intending for it to become a taxi service rather than a vehicle you own. Tesla's model is a bit different from the others, but still ultimately has the same effect, in that once there exists and automated taxi service that is quick, cheap, and door-to-door, the demand for new cars could drop dramatically, and a lot more quickly than anyone really realises.

I believe that Tesla is well-placed to survive and thrive in that environment. But many other well-known brands are not.

7. Thomas O Riordan

Thomas O Riordan New Member

I believe Tesla is much closer than you think to a battery prices at 100,- per kWh target, if I remember correctly by the end of this year 2018 with the new Panasonic battery cell lines at the Nevada Gigafactory coming online they will have achieved this price point of $100 (currently less than $120). I also agree that a 10K price point for a small car will be difficult to achieve right now or near future because of the investment required by Tesla. However once China and Europe have a Gigafactory (bear in mind it does not need to be fully built, current Gigafactory only at 30%) the volumes in battery and car production should be such that the prices should come way down ( perhaps 2025). Certainly 10K-15K cars would mean a mass adoption as people will want EV cars in the same way people wanted color TVs in the 70s, the difference then was night and day in terms of product. I believe the same will happen with ICE cars to EV car sales, people will make the jump and accept them, especially if driving automation has taken off where people only part own a car. Also used EV car market will push more people to adopt in the next few years as more and more people buy EV cars and see them on the road.

8. Taylor S Marks

Taylor S Marks Active Member

Yeah - what happens when self-driving cars arrive is a big question mark. Does demand for new cars explode, as everyone wants to upgrade, or does it wither away as people are okay with carsharing/carpooling?

Fundamentally - do people not carpool because they really don't want to, or do they not do it because it's not convenient? Does having the app that summons your car offer to cut your price in half if you're willing to ride with other people suddenly make it convenient enough that you'll do it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Agree. The biggest limitation of carpooling is the lack of flexibility on personal schedules. Yet, as the price of gas continues to increase, I am also convinced more and more people will accommodate... ;)

10. Spudley

Spudley Member

There are lots of companies working on self-driving tech. But only three or four are currently looking likely to have a viable product inside the next decade. Those companies are Waymo, Cruise, Uber and Tesla. Waymo, Cruise and Uber are all targeting their vehicles as automated taxis. Tesla's plans are different, but again there is a focus on a network of automated taxis.

The point is that with the exception of Tesla, self-driving cars won't be sold to the public, whether people want them or not. Certainly not by the companies that are likely to bring it to market first. So there won't be any spike in demand with people upgrading.

I don't think carpooling is really relevant to that. Even if everyone rides alone, if they're all riding driverless taxis, there will fewer vehicles needed overall. Carpooling will reduce the figure even further, but it isn't necessary for people to do that in order for self-driving taxis to undermine the automobile manufacturing industry.

11. wilmeek

wilmeek New Member

New car sales are already dropping, but not much. We might see a 10% drop, but not by half. Not enough to change the outcomes. I still think the old guard has about 5 years to get into the game before they start to get wiped out by EV manufacturers.

• Agree Agree x 1