Video of Tesla Model 3 Release Candidate revealed by Elon Musk

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by clprenz, Mar 24, 2017.

1. clprenz

clprenz Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Elon Musk took to Twitter this morning to shed more details on the upcoming Model 3, expected to hit production in July. Musk stated, “Model 3 is just a smaller, more affordable version of Model S w less range & power & fewer features. Model S has more advanced technology.” While this isn’t exactly new information, some have been led to believe that Model 3 is Tesla’s next-generation vehicle. In fact, the Model 3 is the first vehicle on Tesla’s next-generation platform for smaller vehicles. The Model S will still be the flagship of Tesla and Musk plans to keep his Model S.

Musk also made it clear that the Model 3 is representative of an E, but because of trademark issues with Ford’s E-Series, he switched it to the Model 3. The video of the first Model 3 release candidate shows the cars performance and sleek design in motion. The release candidate is a vehicle that is very close to the production version as the company prepares for the production ramp-up.

Model 3 Release Candidate on the road testing

Sticking with one display in Model 3

During Musk’s rapid fire tweetstorm, he also revealed that the Model 3 still has one dashboard display in hopes that the vehicles will be fully autonomous very soon. We have previously reported that Tesla could be interested in integrating a head-up display in the Model 3 to help aid in the transition to fully autonomous vehicles is certainly something that some drivers

Having one display instead of two is certainly something that some drivers may not like at first, but Musk plans to enable full self-driving in the Model 3, where a center dash screen is unnecessary. By simplifying this display design, Tesla can save money and deliver the vehicle on time, just 4 months from now.

Performance Model 3 “Probably a year from now”

Musk also stated all of the advantages the Model S has over the Model 3, “Only Model S will have the seven seater option, more cargo space, plus higher range, acceleration, two screens vs. one, auto extend handles …” He also said that a “performance” Model 3 will most likely be available a year from now, not at launch.

The base Model 3 is expected to have a range of 215 miles and a 0-60 secs in less than 6 seconds. It is unclear what battery upgrade options will be available at launch, which is expected to offer more range and faster acceleration. Musk also announced that the Model 3 will be launched with RWD only, you can read more about that here.

Musk also stated during his tweetstorm that he was on his way to Cape Canaveral, which is why he is blowing up everyone’s Twitter accounts.

Article: Video of Tesla Model 3 Release Candidate revealed by Elon Musk

2. David_k

David_k New Member

It may look like there is a panoramic windshield. But could also be only a reflection.. not clear

3. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    Not sure if I WANT a panoramic windshield...

Aside from missing coat hooks...

Tesla also suck at making sun visors...

Understanding the deficiency in the car, I like having the roof between my windshield AND panoramic roof. I need the little strip of shade that it provides.

4. gizmowiz

gizmowiz New Member

Well as an early deposited counting on the rebate I guess than ends my interest in Tesla because I must have AWD and by delaying production of the AWD I won't be able to get the rebate so my interest in the Tesla ends now. I will demand my deposit back. Thousands of others will too. No fair that an early depositer must ignore the options they want in order to get the rebate. It's bad enough they cater to current Tesla owners, and California owners, and now to RWD afficanando's is the last straw. Bye bye Tesla I'll be filing for that $1,000 back soon. You better have the money!

5. Snowcat

Snowcat Member

I think it's a smart move to do the RWD first. This way people who aren't rich and already have to stretch to pay for a model 3 are more likely to get the rebates. Rich people who want the full spec model don't really need the rebate anyway. I think it's more fair that way. The advantage rich people will have is that they are more likely to have less first gen issues, lots of small things will have been fixed by then. The disadvantage for them is that they won't be able to show of their new gadget first, but honestly, is it that important to be first? (I know the answer is "yes" for lots of people, but I don't give a damn) Tesla is artificially pushing the rebates to those who benefit most from it, I applaud that!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    Sorry to see you go @gizmowiz, but the Model S or Model X "D" cars are available if you're looking for the tech with the Dual Drive. If you're looking at a lower price, I can suggest CPO or Inventory from Tesla. There are plenty of folks that upgrade their cars and sell their older Teslas back to Tesla.

If you were hoping to pay $35k for a Dual Drive 3... Keeping your reservation and waiting might be an option, (6-9 months later) but the Dual Drive will be more than the base. 3, so, perhaps $40k for a Dual Drive Barebones 3.

• Like Like x 2
  7. J.Taylor

J.Taylor Active Member

75 works just fine in a model S ... no reason to cry about this battery level in a model 3. Anyone who is unsatisfied is being silly. We all knew the smaller car would have a smaller battery. We also know that Elon will have to optimise the production lines so it is nice to hear that some lesser priced 3 versions will be amongst the first produced (unlike the loaded ones we expected).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

I am one of those people who cry about the batterypack and one who is silly. Why? Not the waiting time of the delivery of my M3 P85D nor the fact the car is smaller, but because of the comparison with the Model S and the range factor.
    I have been testdriving 1 time a Model S P85 and two times a P90D. As a former motorbike driver (a sports Honda CB750 and Ducati 900 SS) I always check out driving capabilities, stability, handling, reaction times and safety. I thought the cars were heavy, slow in reaction, not very stable in curves and handling was not smooth. The cars were working against me in some curves and I had to pay extra attention, even in the FWD's, P90D's. Next to that the cars use quite a lot of kWh's when accelerating and not regenerating enough when braking or when releasing the paddle. So range was affected too much as well. But those are my findings. I was hoping for a lighter car with (almost) the same batterypack more or less to solve those points.

I explain. When a crash is ahead, I want to be able to avoid it with quick reactions ( I saved my life at least twice, because drivers in cars made serious mistakes by not paying attention at all in traffic) and I want to be able to drive long distances in one go in heavy winterconditions and on Icy lakes.

But again....... I am glad that the lesser priced cars will come to market first. That is nice for the people who reserved those. And of course Elon did make the right decision over production.

9. J.Taylor

J.Taylor Active Member

Don't run the crocodile waterworks too long there ... I'm sure Elon will get around to bigger battery packs eventually. Meanwhile, so long as the 3 can get from supercharger to supercharger (which it should do no problem in most places) the rest of us TESLA-fans will be sure to keep the factory going at full production.
    Those who are unsatisfied with TESLA's ride, handling, stability, performance, reaction, or range are quite welcome to shop elsewhere. Remember, for the foreseeable future (till about 2025) TESLA will be production constrained, not customer constrained. We fans are fans because we have not been able to find a better car anywhere at any price.

10. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

You are right. There is no better car anywhere at the forseeable prices. But ..........hearing the praise of drivers of the model S, I expected more of the car. And I still intend to buy the model 3 as long delivered with 85kWh and then verion P85D, because my findings have all to do with the weight of the S. I only regret the expected range. You have less freedom when you have to drive from Supercharger to Supercharger, at least for the years ahead.
    And yes, I still am a Tesla fan.
    But can one not give comments or critics when you are a fan?????? Today there are lots of owners who do the same, cause they want to see the cars to be improved. And again therefore give their comments. Best cars in the price-ranges.

11. LeoChelsea

LeoChelsea New Member

#11 LeoChelsea, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    I test drove a Model S and cannot say enough about its advanced features. However the ride quality, even with air suspension, was just OK. But I'd still buy the car in a heart beat if it was within my budget.

12. gene

gene Moderator

Just curious, what are you comparing the ride quality?

13. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

However the ride quality, even with air suspension, was just OK.
    Yes, to what are you comparing to?

14. LeoChelsea

LeoChelsea New Member

My friend has a Mercedes S that has a very smooth ride.

15. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

That's a car (Mercedes - Maybach S) a uncle of mine has. I am not convinced, although on a smooth road the MM flies like a plane without turbulence.

16. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

And remind us again how much it costs? €200-250k?? :D

17. gene

gene Moderator

I suppose that could be an argument depending on how you look at "smooth". It's certainly not a Cadillac feel, nor does it have a floaty ride quality that's more synonymous with large luxury sedans. I would say the Model S with air suspension can have a variety of feels depending on the ride height setting and also your steering control setting (normal vs sport).

On the standard and low ride height with sport steering, I'd say the Model S feels more akin to a BMW 5 series.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

My uncle bought a super de luxe brand-spanking new one at Euro 175.000. What does a similar model S costs you?????

19. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Dunno...? :p Only considering Model ≡ potential price levels... Am on a budget as a future (early) retiree... :)

20. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

I configured a model S, first P85D and later P90D as I would like to buy. Price was Euro 168.950 to 171.500. The P100D as I would like has a pricetag of Euro 188.135 today.

And Michael, you belong to the group whom we were talking about in another thread. So I think you need more kWh's as well for those trips down to Southern Spain or Northern Finland.