Used P85DL vs. new 75D?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jeremy.behler, Aug 5, 2017.

1. jeremy.behler

jeremy.behler New Member

I've been threatening to buy a Model S since test driving an original P85 in 2013. I am very close.....ready to pull the trigger in fact.

I just looked at a P85DL with 22K. Drove it and it looks and drives great. Dealer that took it in on trade is working pretty aggressively and I was close to making it happen yesterday.

But then I thought.....if I ordered a brand new 75D it has the enhanced performance with a low 4's 0-60 and essentially the same range as the P85DL.

In my mind...benefits to each are as follows:

The ludicrous speed performance is awesome...no doubt. I imagine it's one of those things that I likely wouldn't use all that often once the initial honeymoon period. The 75D still has great performance (much faster than my current BMW 550's 4.8 0-60 time), similar range, and everything that comes with a new car (no wear/tear, possibility to upgrade to enhanced/FSD in the future), as well as the facelift.

Price for the two is essentially the same.

Any other considerations I'm missing?

Would appreciate anyone's input, particularly those that may have owned/driven both a P and non-P version.

2. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    The P85DL doesn't seem to have much benefit for you in this case. I'd go with the new car unless there's a big price difference.

3. Adrian

Adrian New Member

I'm in a similar situation as Jeremy... are you interested in Auto-pilot? I am coming from owning an STi with a 0-60 of 4.7, I test drove a (simulated) 75 on 21" wheels and was very happy with the performance. I've been contemplating this or a used 2015 P85D(L?). I finally asked my wife, she's not too interested in my car buying dilemmas but laying out the options of a really fast car vs having the newest Autopilot and self driving capabilities she felt long run I would be happier with the latter. I haven't made the purchase yet (talking to my Tesla rep tomorrow) but I feel good about going down the new 75 route.

-side note: I am not expecting the 75 to replace the performance of the STi but wanted to mention that as it has a similar 0-60 as the BMW 550.

4. J.Taylor

J.Taylor Active Member

#4 J.Taylor, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    J.B. - I'm thinking over a similar decision as an optional upgrade from the 3. I see the new car as a better deal. One option that can be put off till later is the self drive feature. Financing costs may negate the savings in getting this with an original purchase. The upgrade will be easy to add once the self drive system is fully tested and operational.

5. Ryan

Ryan New Member

Two reasons I'd lean towards the new 75D Jeremy:

1) Autopilot 2.5: you're future-proofed for Full Self-Driving whenever that day comes.

2) The seats! New Model S's all feature the Premium seats, which -- and I realize this is subjective -- are fantastic, and I think it's fair to say that they're objectively more comfortable than the next-gen seats that went into the P85Ds.

Sure, you're going to lose a second of 0-60 time, but 4.2 seconds in the new 75Ds is pretty darn quick.

Enjoy whichever Tesla you choose, cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. New Member

Once you go P, you never go back :) Why not hold out a little longer and get a performance Model 3 that will also have all of the latest tech?

7. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    Until they have a car that is actually doing FSD that has been delivered to a customer I wouldn't bank on the future-proofing part there (or pay for it). Current AP2.0 state is a LONG way off from FSD. That all being said, the newer car will have more potential for FSD than the older one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jeremy.behler

jeremy.behler New Member

I ended up going with the P85DL for the reasons @Teslaliving mentioned. I see FSD a bit farther out and the nature of my driving is that it wouldn't be very helpful as my daily commute is 15 miles with 13 on the highway where AP1 works great.

Can't wipe the grin off my face each time the accelerated is pushed to the floor!