There's a Reason for the Tesla Model 3 Trunk Design

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Teslarati Bot, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Please remind me why you are always referring to those classifications... Sure there is a reason but I forgot o_O
    Also you seem to be referring to 4-seater cars as 2+2... I thought this appellation referred to a coupe with a very small/tight back bench for sub-micronises... in other words kids...:D??

2. Red Sage

Red Sage New Member

Home Page:
    As I live in the U.S. and Tesla is a U.S. company, I prefer to use the official size classifications from the EPA. So LARGE, MIDSIZE, COMPACT, SUB-COMPACT, are what I use. They are not arbitrary marketing terms, but specific designations based upon the useful interior volume for passengers and luggage.

3-Series -- Compact
    5-Series -- Midsize
    7-Series -- Large
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacarhelp.shtml#epaSizeClass

In terms of vehicle configuration, any vehicle with the stupid longitudinal dividing wall down the middle between passengers with four bucket seats is a 2+2. I think all of BMW's Sedans, except maybe the 5-Series, are 2+2s. That sucks.

Oh, and the 4-Series is either a Coupe 2-door or a Gran Coupe 4-door. That is certainly better than the old two-door sedans BMW previously offered. Those things were fugly.

I very much despise the sort of 2+2 you speak of, that requires rear seat passengers to either be double amputees or beheaded. They are designed, I think, for the 'world average' height for humans, which I passed at something less than ten years old. I would hope that since Elon is 6'-2" and Franz appears to be 6'-5" they would design the Model 3 to allow entry by taller folk.

3. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Very clear now, Red! Thank you!

4. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

• Like Like x 1