There's a Reason for the Tesla Model 3 Trunk Design

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Teslarati Bot, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Teslarati Bot

Teslarati Bot New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amid all the positive response to the Tesla Model 3, a few people have questioned why the car is not a hatchback and instead utilizes a traditional style trunk but with a small opening. Among them is one of Tesla's biggest fans and YouTube personality Bjørn Nyland of Norway who won tickets to the Model 3 event through the second referral program.

Bjørn made a video about his impressions of the Model 3 after having experienced a test ride during the unveiling event. One of his comments was a concern about the size of the car's trunk. At the 10:30 minute mark of the video, Bjørn describes the car as having a limited trunk opening. Elon Musk said at the reveal that a 7 foot long surfboard will fit inside the Model 3. But while the car can carry long items, its ability to carry tall items is considerably less than the Model S and Model X which sports a hatchback design.

In an impromptu Twitter ask me anything (AMA), Elon addressed concerns around the small Model 3 trunk lid and said that a bike will fit. But more importantly Musk explained why the Model 3 trunk was designed the way it was.

You see, the Model 3 has one huge swooping piece of glass that extends from the base of the windshield and all the way to the beginning of the trunk line. By moving the rear cross support beam on the Model 3, combined with the open airy feeling from the glass roof, designers were able to provide a much roomier feel for passengers within the rear seat.

Below is a side by side comparison of the rear trunk design between a Model 3 (left) and Model S (right).

[​IMG]Tesla Model 3 trunk lid [Source: Jalopnik][​IMG]Tesla Model S trunk hatch

Jalopnik has also expressed concerns about the size of the trunk opening calling it “a sad compromise trunk at best.” Considering the astonishing number of Model 3 reservations Tesla has received to date, it would seem that any concern about the size of the trunk is negligible, and won't actually deter people from ordering one.

Article: There's a Reason for the Tesla Model 3 Trunk Design

• Like Like x 1
  2. Solarbeez

Solarbeez New Member

The lack of a hatchback is the reason I bought the Model S instead of waiting for the Model 3...but now I'm rethinking that decision because I'm still holding a Model 3 reservation and I WANT THE 8 CAMERAS FOR AUTONOMOUS DRIVING. When are the prototypes coming out so I can see it in person???

• Like Like x 1
  3. gene

gene Moderator

#3 gene, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    The Model S needs a sibling to play with.

First pilot production of the Model 3 will begin next week so I would expect to see the prototypes beginning to hit the streets as early as next month. Are you in Northern California?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Solarbeez

Solarbeez New Member

I'm on the Southern Oregon Coast. My wife loves the Model S. She says we don't really need a smaller car with a small trunk. I have to agree, but if Elon comes out with an electric pickup, now that's a different story. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. gene

gene Moderator

Well, he did say they have plans for an electric pickup one day as part of the Master Plan Part Deux :) Here's a rendition a friend sent us.

[​IMG]

6. Solarbeez

Solarbeez New Member

Wow, that's a futuristic looking pickup. I'm not sure I'd like to fill it with brush and haul it to the county dump. It's too sleek looking. I wonder if it'll have a tow package? Wait a minute...is that a Model X with a pickup bed?

7. gene

gene Moderator

Haha, it's just a rendition that someone made. And yes, it looks like it's based on the Model X given those door handles. I cringe a little thinking about how that crew cab door would swing open.

8. Solarbeez

Solarbeez New Member

Yes...that's a problem because it ain't going up, because of the roof rack...and it's a bit narrow to swing open, but it's pretty. :)

9. GrandPoobah

GrandPoobah Member

Never been a pick em up truck kinda guy ... but THIS could convert me!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jaken

Jaken New Member

For those who want or need a hatchback the vehicle for them is the Model Y. The Model 3 was never designed with a hatchback in mind. The Model 3 was optimized for moving people in an urban environment. Its easy to see.

11. Red Sage

Red Sage New Member

Home Page:
    One of these days I'm gonna have to seriously get off my bum and do a proper rendering of what I would expect a Tesla Pickup Truck would look like. It astounds me that so many renderings seem to be sized/shaped like small trucks, about like a Ranger, Colorado, or Tacoma. Elon Musk has been clear, since early 2013, that Tesla would take on full sized pickup trucks such as the F-Series -- because they are the best sellers in the United States -- not the smaller, compact trucks at all.

The renderings by TRUCK TREND of a 'Tesla Model U' in particular are almost there, but the thing looks too small to me. The editors claim it is instead full sized, though, in the included video under the article. I also don't like that they predict in-wheel motors at all four corners -- those have been proven to be far less effective than one would guess -- otherwise Ford would be using those Protean Electric wheels on all their trucks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. gene

gene Moderator

Yes, please :) Is there an existing truck on the market that you think the Tesla pickup would be comparable to in size and shape?

BTW, love the signature.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TCTesla

TCTesla New Member

This is the first concept rendering I've seen that looks pretty good. All the other ones look like newer El Caminos ..... and that's not a good thing.

14. Red Sage

Red Sage New Member

Home Page:
    #14 Red Sage, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Actually? They tend to look a bit too much like the Chevrolet SSR instead. That's not a good thing, because while larger than an El Camino, it is still smaller than a Colorado...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Red Sage

Red Sage New Member

Home Page:
    I'll see what I can do. Below are some of my own admittedly horrible, rushed renderings from some years ago. Hence, why I need to do them again with a more steady hand.

Tesla Model P 450_-_Scan 001b.jpg Tesla Model P 450_-_Scan 002b.jpg Tesla Model P 450_-_Scan 003b.jpg Tesla Model P 450_-_Scan 010b.jpg Tesla Model P 450_-_Scan 020b.jpg

Elon Musk has said since 2013 that they would be taking on the best selling pickup trucks in the U.S. Particularly the Ford F-Series full sized pickup trucks. Because they are extremely popular, are typically gas guzzlers, and the worst iterations of them are very polluting, along with market entries such as Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra and RAM pickup trucks. (The smaller trucks like the Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon, Toyota Tacoma, Honda Ridgeline, and Nissan Frontier can be thoroughly ignored, because the marketplace does that anyway judging by their horrible sales.) I suggest that Tesla go after what traditional automobile manufacturers call in their marketing 'Heavy Duty' or 'Super Duty' versions of their light trucks. Those with Type III, Type IV, and Type V towing capability (350/3500, 450/4500, 550/5500). And that the configuration of the trucks be of the crew cab style with available 6.5' and 8.0' long beds. Finally offering them in dual motor all wheel drive dually designs to put down as much torque as possible.

That target is sure to have potential customers with deep pockets who will surely recognize the superiority of electric drive no matter the initial cost along with realizing the longtime savings of driving electric over gasoline or diesel. And boys always want to play with big boy toys, so starting on the high end to make an impression is a good strategy. I think that's part of the reason why Elon Musk is going after CLASS VIII big rigs -- to make an initial impression as yet another 'proof of concept' as to what electric drive can do by taking on precisely the type of project that so many claim an electric vehicle would 'never' do. The qualifier 'yet' will be banished again by 'until now', thanks to Tesla.

I am a big fan of the writing style of Douglas Adams. Though perhaps not a direct quote of him, that is certainly inspired by what I've read of his.

16. holls1315

holls1315 New Member

I have to disagree on this. The model 3 was meant to be the affordable Tesla that would be accessible to the masses. There's no good reason it can't be built with practicality in mind.
    I love Tesla and all it's trying to do with the car industry and electrification of motor vehicles. It is truly the future we need to head towards, but my heart sinks when I see the boot (trunk) of the model 3. In simple terms, it's shite.
    I have been following Tesla since 2012 and I reserved a model 3 about a day after reservations started but I can't reconcile buying a car with a boot like that. It's simply hideous. It's such a same because I love everything else about it.
    The argument that you can't have a hatch because there needs to be a glass roof for head room seems ridiculous. How about increasing the height of the roof by a few inches? Does the car need to be so low profiled that it can't have a higher roof?
    I don't get it? As a consequence I won't be getting one unless a hatch version is released at some stage.
    Does anyone know if there are going to be hatch versions on the cards at some point? I read somewhere a while ago that there may be three different versions of the Model 3. I was hoping one of those would be a hatch. I live in hope...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

As @Jaken rightly said, and though Elon recently disclosed during the 1Q earnings call that it will be built on a different platform than Model ≡, the closest equivalent with a hatchback will be the midsize SUV referred to as Model Y...
    Production likely to start by late 2019, or 2020. Should sell at least as well as Model ≡, maybe even in higher numbers if not too much more expensive (+ 20%?? Pure conjecture on my part, I feel compelled to add!).
    I can't wait that long, so still looking forward to my
    Model ≡ ... with no hatch... ;)

18. Red Sage

Red Sage New Member

Home Page:
    There are multiple configurations of the BMW 3-Series and neither the SportsWagon nor the Gran Turismo versions (or even the 4-Series Gran Coupe) are their best sellers (in the U.S.) The best seller is the Notchback Sedan.

This car is from an American manufacturer and must be successful in the U.S. first and foremost. It must meet aesthetic expectations for this class of vehicles, or it will not sell well here. The old Saab 900 or more recent Porsche Panamera 'hunchback' is considered to be positively HIDEOUS here. Americans tend to be rather shallow in this regard -- it doesn't matter how well the car performs, it doesn't matter how utilitarian it may be, it doesn't matter how awesome Europeans or Australians think it is -- if it is [FARGIN'] UGLY! The Model S sells far more than the Panamera because it doesn't look like an amorphous blob on wheels. As popular as the Crossover segment of the U.S. market may appear to be to casual observers, cars like the Honda Crosstour, Acura ZDX, and BMW GranTurismo gain no sales traction here at all. Because they are ugly. And even though the 4-Series looks a LOT better, NO ONE BUYS THEM.

There is another factor at work as well. Culturally, Americans associate a hatchback/liftback or a shared cargo/passenger space with 'cheap' cars. They prefer that cargo be separate from the passenger compartment in an enclosed trunk/boot in a 'luxury' or high end car. A place that only 'The Help' ever needs to access.

There is also the fact that certain electric vehicle incentives and rebates are only available to those that can transport at least five people. With a smaller vehicle, rear seat comfort for a liftback pretty much demands a 2+2 configuration, for only four maximum occupants. By designing the car to fit five real adult Americans, Tesla expands the pool of buyers who will qualify for State incentives in addition to Federal ones.

19. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Informative, Red, did not realize this cultural dislike for liftback in the US. Yet that is why the 4-Gran Coupe should be a better fit, it is essentially a four door coupe for 4 adults, with an invisible liftback... I understand why it was technically difficult to do with Model ≡... I would have preferred a (more practical) liftback door yet I'll be fine in my retirement phase... ;)

20. Red Sage

Red Sage New Member

Home Page:
    Yes. The 4-Series design is awesome -- except for the fact it is a 4-seater and is in the size classification 'Compact' in the U.S. Still OK for a Family of four Micronians... But not so hot for voluminous 'big boned' Americans.

Really though? 2+2 Sedans are stupid. It doesn't matter how large or small they are... From 4-Series Gran Coupe through Panamera. It doesn't make sense when you can have more passengers inside a Civic, Corolla, or Cruze for so much less money.