The Official Model ≡ Production cars thread

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Michael Russo, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

With a bit more evidence provided by @TrevP , the keycard is appropriately labelled Model 3!

2. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Posted by M3OC member Dudeman - kudo to him!

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  3. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Same car driven away by Doug Fields, T≡SLA VP of Engineering

4. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

5. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Though Midnight Silver is definitely my first choice, can't say I am not moved by this orgy of gorgeous blue T≡SLAs!

6. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Member

Anyone else a bit shocked at the lack of info at the final reveal?

7. Fat Bloke on Tour

Fat Bloke on Tour New Member

Pretty basic Big Auto -- bait and switch in the raw.
    Average car revenue will be somewhere north -- far north -- of $50K.
    The much touted $35K would have sunk the company.
    However the very naked attempts to up sell are not going to help Tesla engage with its target audience.
    Plus this pricing allows a huge target for Big Auto to attack.

Most of the stuff associated with the Model 3 is pretty low rent.
    The warranty is one area for example -- doing as little as they can get away with.
    Very little surprise and delight in the published package.
    Battery silence is a huge own goal -- smacks very much of trust me I am a SV billionaire.
    No, no and thrice no if you don't mind.

Looking at pretty big money for a premium CD vehicle.
    However the numbers suggest that it has a pretty big interior.
    One negative surprise for me is the full styling package.

Side views from Baywatch.
    Front views from Crimewatch.
    The Model 3 shares some styling DNA with Japanese high speed trains.
    Offers more weight to the duck billed platypus aero look -- not sure it will catch on.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Dan8

Dan8 New Member

Just saw the official specs and prices. What a mess! Most everyone was wrong. $9K for the extended range. Over a years wait (for me) for the AWD. 6 mos wait (for me) for the standard battery. No breakdown of costs. Bad Elon, you screwed up and are screwing us all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Sailor

Sailor New Member

I was but they made good today by updating their site and giving me price options and delivery time windows! Basically in a couple months I can choose to get the long range with premium package. This is in line with what I wanted so I will go for it.

Attached Files:

10. Sailor

Sailor New Member

Not sure I get the mess you refer to. This seems in line with the option pricing for the model S. This is the ball park I had figured and for months the news was that the first batch would be no/little choices, rear wheel drive, and premium options / higher costs to generate more revenues from the get go.

11. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Not sure I understand some of the negative comments... sure I would have preferred a higher base range yet nothing else was promised.
    Options are pricey yet in reality this is the same thing BMW does, the same option costs the same on a 3 Series vs. a 5 or a 7...
    Johnny, not really... main thing we don't know is the relative size of the batteries yet in truth it matters much less to us than what the two versions will delight in terms of key functionality for an EV, in other words range!
    Not everybody will be able to pay $44k, probably not even myself ;), yet even the $35k standard will offer, a little later, a lot more than the Bolt at a similar price point, despite a mere 18 miles of range deficit..,

12. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Member

Yeah, after seeing the site updates it definitely helps. Still a bit shocked at how much Musk was pulling back expectations in regards to the ramp up.

13. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Sorry if I did not see it well enough, yet did he not confirm the 5k per week in December '17, and double that by YE18? Not that he said it would Br easy...;)

14. Jan Kjetil Andersen

Jan Kjetil Andersen New Member

Is it possible to have a towing hitch on model 3?

15. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

My understanding is that Elon said yes at some point...
    since I trust you're in Europe like me, by the time we get our cars delivered, I hope this will be possible indeed! :)

16. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Member

He confirmed it by saying thats their goal. And that its gonna be hell, and that everything needs to go perfect and there are 1000 parts and they can only move as fast as their slowest part and that scaling is the biggest challenge. To me, it sounded like he was preparing people for a let down. He seems unsure that he will meet that 5k a week mark. Im one of many who got that same impression. Hope im wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BenitoFR06

BenitoFR06 New Member

Back to the range I would like to better translate it in EU norms and reality.
    310 miles EPA norms means 498.9 kms which is huge.
    But in reality? Especially when range counts a lot, meaning travel on highways ?

EU norms is NEDC. I usually counts a factor of 0.7 to have a real range (ex Zoé 400 kms NEDC is ~280kms real)
    In between NEDC and EPA there is a mean factor of 1.3 (data from european specialits in EVs)

Conclusion:
    500 kms of range is more or less "reality". Let's count 400kms on highways.
    When you know that the battery may gain 270kms in 30' on a supercharger there is no brainer !
    You stop every 250kms for 15-20 minutes and keep on your travel like that. You then stay in the limit 20-80% of the battery where the charge is more efficient. This was the main argument against EV and now it is really over.

We just need more superchargers :)

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  18. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Tout à fait d'accord!

Good news is 3 times more SCs by end 2018!

Have a nice evening, bonne soirée!
    Greetings from California

19. Dan8

Dan8 New Member

Well so far we still don't have much information. We know the current loaded version cost and configuration but that's all we know. I can't use half of the stuff that's in it and don't want to pay for it. The 35K ? Can we upgrade to what we want or will Elon screw us again by loading it up with stuff we don't want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

We know a lot more than we did a few weeks ago...
    Just like with S/X, there will be stuff you can upgrade to later like the Enhanced Auto Pilot software, over the air, or wheels yet some extra features like the 310 extended range (which implies the larger battery) will of course be only available from the start if that is what you want and can afford.

In the end, the latter two criteria will prevail, you get the best car you choose with the features that matter to you and in line with your budget. At some point down the road, if you're happy with black and base 18'' wheels, no extra frills, you can still buy one for $35k.

You choose... ;) Not sure where you feel you were 'screwed' before... just sayin'...