The Electrified Journey

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Groovidad, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Groovidad

Groovidad New Member

#1 Groovidad, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    I began my quest in November of 2017. Weary of gas pumps and the specter of oil changes for what seems like an eternity, I removed $1000 from the secret pocket sewn into the bottom of my modest iComfort mattress, constantly looking over my shoulder for those that would seek to quell my endeavor.

I sat staring at my iPad, studying the Tesla site like a hungover college kid attempting to study first year physics. My finger hung like a Damocles over the reservation button, all the time wondering if I would wake the next day, had I drank too much 18 yr. Scotch and made an intoxicated purchase(?). My vision blurred and I blinked, attempting to clear the film that now obstructed my targeting system. My finger fell, but I missed and tapped again and again, each time with more force. Suddenly, the screen went white. HUH!? Then came the congratulatory message. DAMN YOU STEVE JOBS!!! I need a new iPad!

The next day came and I went to work thinking, I just bought into the future. I had to convince myself that this wasn't a 57 year old guy (a very handsome one, at that) trying to deal with a late mid-life pang that drives those to hair plugs and and fast cars. Meh! I shrugged it off and made my way to the bathroom to trim some nose and ear hair that I neglected at my home.

I paused for a moment remembering Teslas haphazard mention of "when" I could expect my endeavor: Fall 2019. I stood frozen, micro scissors shoved into my nose, the sting of hair, still attached, caught in the dull blades. My eyes watered and I winced thinking, "Fall 2019?" What have I done!? My mind raced, had I promised myself more than Elon had promised?
    Hmmm, I need coffee!...........................

STAY TUNED FOR MORE.........

• Like Like x 2
  2. agdejager

agdejager New Member

Keep believing and good faith. You did the right thing imho.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Matthew McClosky

Matthew McClosky New Member

Groovy Dad - Me Too BTW - In short I place my order March 31, 2016 for a 35k Model 3. I told a few close friends. I thought about it from time to time... I scanned my tesla profile now and then looking at various configurations... One night I decided to switch to the long range version. 1 week later an email appeared asking me to configure. What a surprise to learn that I went from 35k to 55k. Needless to say I did not look back. My car was delivered May 3rd this year.
    It is as much as a car as the phone you carry is a phone. The Model 3 is a pleasure and long overdue.
    Enjoy the journey. The journey is like a treasure hunt. When you get your car it will be a new wonderful journey.
    Be patient.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  4. Groovidad

Groovidad New Member

#4 Groovidad, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    December came and went. The holiday hustle and bustle took my mind away from the previous months decision. January 2018 found me pouring over any article, any YouTube video, anything related to the Model 3. I looked at specs, compared it's 0-60 times to gasoline powered speedsters, fit and finishes, paint options, ad nauseum . Soon, I had read or viewed everything I could find. By the end of the month I had exhausted my searches leaving me empty and wanting for more. Sadly, I could only resort to stock surges or drops, Elon and his personality laced tweets, production rates, executives bailing out, yadda, yadda, yadda. I needed a fix! I began to twitch from time to time as my continued searches yielded the same material I had read or viewed over and over again.

My mind wandered back to the time I would watch "Apocalypse Now" over and over again, memorizing key lines in the movie. It seemed I had become obsessed. I thought to myself, "I need a drink". As I moved toward the half empty (or was it half full?) bottle of Scotch, I realized this would only fuel my desire, my need to know and see EVERYTHING Model 3! I stared longingly at the bottle for a moment and walked on by. Instead, I settled for a glass of blended beansprouts, kale and a banana. MMMMMM! Wait! What's happening to me?! Things are starting to get weird. "Get hold of yourself!", I barked out loud. Ok, ok....it's all going to work out. Patience will win out, I told myself. DAMN! I hate that little voice of reason! I sighed heavily and walked toward my bedroom. For now, I could only fashion the sheets, blanket and pillows of our bed into a replica of the Model 3. As I squinted rather hard, I felt the pleather of the drivers seat envelop my bottom and thighs, the pillo...er...steering wheel felt firm and comfortable in my hands. That new car smell (or was it the Bed Bath and Beyond plug-in my wife installed?) wafted around me. I pulled the right stalk down and soon I whisked past the dresser and out the door, silently, with barely a sound from the electric motor, down the hallway. I tapped the iPa...er, 15" touch screen, changing to "Chill Mode" (I didn't want to tear up the carpet) and effortlessly accelerated towards the living room and around the coffee table. Suddenly, I was awakened from my self-imposed ecstasy by a voice. "What are you doing?" My wife stood next to my electrified fantasy with a look of wonderment. My mind raced quickly, as quick as the 0-60 time of a Model 3 Performance. "I'm...I'm just rearranging the bed, trying to find a more comfortable way to...for us to sleep at night." Her head bobbed up and down as she gazed at me through glassy eyes. Did she buy it? NOPE! "Ok, I'll fix it", I stammered as she exited the room.

My soul wanted. February creeped by like a snail on valium. March came and I continually exhausted my miniscule supply of Model 3 information. Again, I was memorizing videos and articles. Up to this point, no one knew that I had reserved a spot on the list of 450K(+/-) spot holders, save my wife who doesn't share my zeal and passion on obtaining my electric dream. I had to find something to distract from this journey, if only for a few months. HA! Right!.....................................

STAY TUNED FOR MORE.......

• Like Like x 2
  5. agdejager

agdejager New Member

Keep faith.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Groovidad

Groovidad New Member

During March and April, I waxed my Lexus 18 times, drank 32 bottles of various Scotch (with friends, of course...*HIC*), cut my toenails 4 times, shaved my head 9 times, pulled weeds from our shrub bed (there were a LOT!), helped my wife fold my underwear, plucked ear hair (don't you just hate those pesky varmints?), went to work, went home, cut the grass........YAWN! STILL, to no avail, I could not distract myself enough to forget about the "when".

Then....June came! As I sat at my desk at work, doodling on a pad of Post It notes, (It's what I do when the boss isn't looking) I noticed an email alert on my desktop. Upon opening mail, I see this: "Your Model 3 is Ready to Order". WHAT!? When I placed my reservation the site said delivery "Fall 2019". How can this be?! Was this some sick and twisted spam mail joke?! Was I dreaming...*pinch*..OUCH! No, I'm awake. Hmmm, fearing a sneaky email attack by some bored, pimple faced boy in his parents cellar, munching on Cheetos and drinking can after can of grape flavored energy drinks, I hesitated. Nah, no harm in just opening the email just don't click on anything else. But, what...."if"? Heck with it! I hovered the cursor over the message as my right index finger quivered over the mouse button. I felt like mission control at NASA preparing to launch the next space mission....3..2..1...*click*.

The screen flickered white for just a moment, then I realized, THIS IS REAL! WOOT WOOT! (I heard my daughter say this one day, sounded cool) I quickly accessed the site and marveled at the ease of configuring my future realization. Back and fourth I went. Red...no, silver...No, gray......no....ARRRGH! Why did Tesla have to have so many groovy colors to choose!? Single Motor, Dual-Motor, 18" rims or not? I went through what would have taken a normal person maybe 5-10 mins. to do for more than 40 mins.! Finally, I had it where I wanted it (or thought I did) and then saw: "Delivery within 2 weeks". WHAT!? This can't be right, can it(?) Then, as I basked in the glory and ecstasy of the moment, my brain slammed stop on every thought process. I was seeing the dreaded "blue screen" in my mind and suddenly, the harsh reality of my situation came into crystalline focus: I had a year left on my Lexus lease! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo! The first time I have EVER leased a vehicle in my life, this happens!! All functions ceased! I pulled the brake handle and screeched to a dead stop! My mind raced, after performing a hard re-boot of my brain still stuck in blue screen mode. I stared at the monitor and felt defeated, robbed....castrated (Ouch! Not that dejected!). I realized, at that moment, I had some phone calls to make. I stared at my creation on the screen and whispered ever so softly, " You will be mine! Oh, yes, you will be mine!" (Thanks Wayne!)...............

STAY TUNED FOR MORE.............

7. Groovidad

Groovidad New Member

Supervisors can be demanding! As I sat contemplating my next move, my boss calls me from her adjacent office. My train of thought derailed, I stood and moved towards her lair. She began by asking me to reach out to so and so and obtain some metrics to be used in a briefing. "You got it, Chief!", I gleefully responded. Back at my desk, I muttered under my breath, "Geez! Work!? Does she think I have time for that!? Doesn't she understand I am at a crucial part in my existence and that the fate of my electric journey is being thwarted by a pesky lease that I now have to contend with!?" I sat and rolled my eyes. I sighed deeply and picked up the phone to obtain her wishes. (HER wishes! What about MY wishes!?) The nerve of some supervisors!

Five minutes later I had completed the draconian request by my overbearing supervisor and got back to more important matters at hand....
    Dang it! I had a meeting to attend! When will this squandering of my precious time by the machinations of my employment cease!? Alas, I suppose I should do....something, even if it didn't involve my pressing dilemma.

The 3 o'clock whistle blew! YABBA DABBA DOOOO! Away from my desk, I swiftly moved. Down to the elevator I strode, my mind working on my next move with the leasing entity. I jumped into what had suddenly turned into the Bain of my existence. (Honestly, it is a good car...gas powered, albeit) I drove home, numbers running through my head. I had a year left before I could be free but, waiting that year to avoid any penalties would be excruciating! This can't be happening yet, it was. REALITY SUCKS! Ok, just say calm and get the info from the lender. It's going to be okay......or would it???

I reached home and bolted for the half empty (or is it half-full?) bottle of 15 year. I'm gonna need 4 fingers to contemplate my options and rid myself from what was standing in the way of my goal. I searched the number to the bank holding the lease and dialed the number. I sipped on the liquid gold, savoring every flavorful note. The phone rang on the other end and finally picked up. Automated phone systems are worse than nails on a blackboard. I listened impatiently as each menu option was not what I needed. Finally, option 64, "Auto Leasing", the absolute LAST option in a 36 min. menu! I pressed 7-1 and was transferred. The phone rang twice, "You have reached the Auto Leasing Department. We are currently closed. Our hours of oper..........." AAAARRRRRGH!!! I stood and walked to the bathroom and dropped the cordless handset into the toilet. I flushed and then, I flushed again. It wouldn't leave the bowl. I swallowed the last of the Scotch and stared blankly at the phone, tiny bubbles escaping every few seconds. It was then that I realized the wife is not going to be happy about this. Reluctantly, I reached in and grabbed the phone, swaddling it in half a roll of triple ply toilet tissue. I frantically searched for a location to stow the soggy handset. I headed towards the garage wondering where I could hide it until I could come up with a suitable fix. AH HA! The tool chest! The wife will never look there! In it went. I grinned as I walked back into the house for round 2 of the 15 yr. I grabbed a refill and sat on the couch, flcking the remote for the TV. "Honey!?" Yes, my love? "Have you seen the phone?" *GULP*........

STAY TUNED FOR MORE.....................