Tesla's Next Gen Roadster is a beast: 0-60 in 1.9 sec., 620 miles of range

Discussion in 'In the News' started by gene, Nov 16, 2017.

1. gene

gene Moderator

#1 gene, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tesla CEO Elon Musk took the wraps off of the “something else” at the Tesla Semi event Thursday night, revealing the company’s next generation Roadster. Making a grand entrance onto the airport runway before thousands in attendance at the Jet Center in Hawthorne, CA was a gorgeous red Roadster piloted by Tesla’s Chief Designer Franz von Holzhausen.

The second generation of its first ever production car released in 2008, the Tesla Roadster, will not only be the company’s quickest accelerating car in its fleet, but also the world’s quickest on many levels. The Next Gen Roadster will accelerate from 0-60mph in a vertigo-inducing 1.9 seconds and 1/4 mile in 8.9 seconds. By comparison, supercar exotics like the Bugatti Veyron, Porsche 918 Spyder and McLaren 720s tip the 1/4 mile scales at just shy of 10 seconds.

And why build something so seemingly outrageous? “The point of doing this is to give a hardcore smack down to gasoline cars” says Musk before a cheering crowd at the event. “These are all world records.” he adds.

Musk revealed the following specifications for Tesla’s Next Gen Roadster:

• 0-60 mph: 1.9 seconds (before upgrades)
    • 1/4 mile: 8.9 seconds (first time any production car has broken 9 seconds in 1/4 mile)
    • Power: 10,000 nm Torque
    • Range: 620 miles (998 kilometers)
    • Battery size: 200 kWh
    • Top speed: 250+ mph
    • Production timeline: 2020
    • Drivetrain: 3 electric motors
    • Seating: 4 passengers in a 2+2 configuration
    • Amenities: removable roof

Capable of traveling 620 miles of range per single charge, nearly 1,000 kilometers, the Roadster’s 200 kWh battery pack will be the company’s largest yet and double the battery capacity of its current flagship P100D and 100D vehicles. Musk noted during his presentation that the Next Gen Roadster will be able to drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles, and back, without needing to stop and charge.

Musk did not reveal a price for the electric hot rod but did hint at a 2020 production.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Tesla’s Roadster was the first highway legal production all-electric car to travel more than 200 miles (320 km) per charge released in 2008 in limited production. The Silicon Valley-based electric car maker sold approximately 2,450 Roadsters in over 30 countries before discontinuing production and making way for its long-range Model S sedan.

Article: Tesla's Next Gen Roadster is a beast: 0-60 in 1.9 sec., 620 miles of range

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. J.D.

J.D. New Member

They pulled it off, didn't think I'd see this in the Semi-Truck reveal, even though it was rumored. Wow, what a beautiful car, it may be a few years till we see them on the road, but it is a knock out!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Member

Hey guys look over here please and forget about the model 3 blunders. Great looking vehicles though for sure

4. AlexNZ

AlexNZ New Member

Colour me distracted. That has made me forget all about the M3! What a beautiful car. A dream for now, but I'm going to start saving anyway!

5. Not_Mandatory

Not_Mandatory Member

Oh, man. And I thought the P100D Ludicrous acceleration was dizzying. This thing is pretty much at the theoretical limit of a ground vehicle's quickness. And 1,000km range?!? *drool*

All I need to do is save $50,000 a year over the next four years...

Anyone know how much a healthy kidney sells for nowadays? Asking for a friend...

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. ThosEM

ThosEM Member

Home Page:
    10,000 n-m torque! Let\'s hear it for international units!

7. s_streiffer

s_streiffer New Member

So, how long have mules been testing in the wild? My wife saw a black sports car in Oak Park Il this past summer, that she thought was a Lotus when it passed her – until she saw the Tesla name on it. I showed her a picture of the original Roadster thinking that was it, since that model was a of course a reworked Lotus. However, she said it wasn't the car she saw. I showed here the rear views of the Roadster II, and she immediately said that was what she had seen.

8. ThosEM

ThosEM Member

Home Page:
    Anyone taking bets or will still be capable of 100 MPGe (with a light foot)?

9. ThosEM

ThosEM Member

Home Page:
    Anyone want to be it won’t still be capable of 100 MPGe? With a light foot, that is...

10. patrick-gilhard

patrick-gilhard New Member

I can't wait to ger more détails on the technology of this New 200kwh battery pack and the New Tesla MegaChargers

11. gene

gene Moderator

Never thought I’d want a $200k 2 seater until I witnessed this in person. Ridiculous. 

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Didn’t Elon say it sits 4? ;)
    Ok... no one above 5’6’’ in the back I take it... :)

13. jlewisthe3rd

jlewisthe3rd New Member

Very Surprised they've been able to keep this a secret since everything else seems to be leaked, such as the Semi, Model X, Model 3, etc. very good job Tesla. I'd definitely like to know more and see other colors aside from the red and grey. I did manage to see this black rendition which looks promising!

• Like Like x 1