Tesla's Model 3 air vent is a work of art that's controllable by touchscreen

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by gene, Jul 30, 2017.

1. gene

gene Moderator

#1 gene, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those that had the opportunity to ride inside a Tesla Model 3 at the delivery event in Fremont, California learned that nearly every feature of the vehicle is controlled by touchscreen, including the unique air vents. The seemingly invisible Model 3 air vent that runs the entire length of the dashboard uses hidden fins and “two intersecting planes of air for vertical control”, according to CEO Elon Musk.

We witnessed this first hand as our Model 3 pilot demonstrated the capabilities of the vehicle’s HVAC system by changing fan speeds and adjusting temperature through recognizable icons. However, the highlight of the demonstration was seeing (and feeling) Model 3’s airflow being shifted to different sections throughout the interior cabin, and all done electronically through the 15-inch touchscreen display. No manual vents to move. Nothing.

We were pleasantly surprised to feel the strength of the airflow when it was directed to our seating position. Being able to concentrate heating and cooling to a main focal point is presumably a more efficient use of energy, making for the ultimate Model 3 Camper Mode feature.

Aside from being able to concentrate airflow to a specific area within the cabin, Model 3 air vents can also disperse airflow equally to both sides of the vehicle, as seen in the following video.

Previous speculation that Tesla’s mass market sedan would ditch its ubiquitous key fob for a key card was also confirmed Friday evening at the Model 3 Delivery Event. Driver’s will be able to swipe a business size key card along the car’s B-pillar to unlock it, and once again between the front seats to start the car.  Accessing the vehicle through a smartphone’s Bluetooth capability has also been added.

First Model 3 deliveries are expected to take place as early as October for Tesla employees and those that lined up bright and early the day of Model3Mania. Employees have also been granted early access to the Model 3 online configurator.

Article: Tesla's Model 3 air vent is a work of art that's controllable by touchscreen

• Like Like x 1
  2. steviet02

steviet02 New Member

Wow, so messing around with the tablet while driving is considered the future?

3. Rontheman

Rontheman New Member

No different from messing around with normal vents or hvac controls in any car, or messing about with a screen for nav, radio or anything else. Most of the time the hvac settings are left unchanged.

4. steviet02

steviet02 New Member

Not true at all, moving a physical vents or fixed buttons takes far less time than changing screens and interacting with non-tactile buttons. You can place your hand on a physical vent and put your eyes back where they should be while adjusting. Same with he radio.

Edit - And the Nav is locked out while moving in almost all vehicles as far as I can tell, it is my 2011 Ford.

5. Rontheman

Rontheman New Member

Not so in my Audi or VW Golf. Indeed several nav functions will likely only be used on the move, such as traffic re-route. And our VW Golf has a touch screen for radio, nav, car settings, audio tone control, phone etc. The latest Audi A8 has a touchscreen for all the hvac functions as well as nav, radio etc, and many Audis have a write pad feature where alphanumerics are finger drawn on a touch sensitive input pad.

The point is that simply because something like a touch screen is capable of being used on the move doesn't imply it will be used on the move. Plus, Tesla in particular is fronting the drive to autonomous driving (8 cameras, 12 ultrasonics, + forward radar) so perhaps the touch screen is complementary to that. I do accept that for much of the time, autonomous or semi autonomous mode wont be engaged. Finally, most small jet aircraft now feature touch screen input, even for single pilot operation and when autopilot isn't engaged.

Having said all that, I agree that actual buttons are less risky, but most drivers can decide when it is best and safest to make use of a touch screen.

6. Richard Vivian

Richard Vivian New Member

it couldn't be any worse than adjusting the aircon in our Honda. There are so many push buttons you have to take your eyes off the road for a considerable peroid sometimes.

7. steviet02

steviet02 New Member

I think you're mixing the two operations. Controlling vents isn't done through push buttons on your Honda is it?

Which Honda do you have?

8. Jeremy R

Jeremy R New Member

It's a valid point.. It does look like it might be a bit distracting at least until you get used to it. I will say though, my '06 Jetta has some crappy vents and are difficult to move around and are tough to tell where exactly they are pointing. I often aim one of my two vents toward the back seat for my 2 year old in her car seat and it takes me 20-30 seconds to get it aimed correctly. This may help alleviate that? It also might not, but I like the attempt at innovation whether or not it is 100% successful.

9. steviet02

steviet02 New Member

It would be great if it could sense where the humans were sitting and produce the airflow for optimum comfort.

10. Richard Vivian

Richard Vivian New Member

2010 Honda Odyssey. Some vent outlets are hand controlled but there are multiple options for directing the airflow to the back etc etc. It's all done by a push button panel with multiple buttons. The control interface is over complicated, difficult to read and distracting from a drivers point of view. I have to get the kids to reach forward and adjust the controls for me while I'm driving.

I'm not saying they wont have to do that in a model 3. I'm just saying it couldn't be any worse.