Tesla updates free lifetime Supercharging policy with Dec. 31 deadline

Discussion in 'In the News' started by gene, Jun 16, 2017.

1. gene

gene Moderator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tesla has updated the terms for its “free for life” Supercharger policy, again, this time putting a deadline for unlimited Supercharging on future Model S or Model X purchases. According to the updated language found on the MyTesla page, first pointed out by redditor TeslaBargain, existing Model S and Model X owners are entitled to free, unlimited Supercharging on new Model S or Model X vehicles purchased before December 31, 2017.

“You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle as well as any new Model S or Model X purchased before December 31, 2017. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner. In addition, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Read our Supercharging terms.” reads the updated terms on Tesla’s website.

We’ve provided a before and after look at the Supercharging terms.

Supercharging language from May 20, 2017.

[​IMG]

Updated language noted on  June 16, 2017.

[​IMG]

Tesla had initially rolled out free lifetime Supercharging to all Model S and Model X buyers, but as demand for the fast-charging network began to exceed the amount of available Supercharger stalls at popular hot spots, Tesla began implementing a cap of 400 kWh of free Supercharger use per year on vehicles sold after January 15, 2017. The Silicon Valley-based electric car maker would also implement an “idle fee” to minimize Supercharger abuse.

In a show of good faith, Tesla would later grandfather new Model S and Model X buyers that did not originally qualify for free Supercharging with free access.

A Tesla spokesperson told Teslarati at the time (emphasis added):

“We heard from our customers that free, unlimited Supercharging was one of their favorite reasons to refer a friend to buy a Tesla, so we’re bringing it back for Model S and Model X owners through our referral program, which we update periodically. Beginning today, existing owners can give free, unlimited Supercharging to up to five friends by sharing their referral code, and all existing Tesla owners who purchase a new Model S or Model X will receive free, unlimited Supercharging too.”

In summary, and as it stands now, if you’re an existing Model S or Model X owner, future purchases made before the end of 2017 will qualify for free, unlimited Supercharging. If you’re a new buyer, being referred by an existing owner, your Model S or Model X will receive free lifetime Supercharger usage for long distance travel, but only if purchased through a referral code and the code has not been used more than 5 times.

Oh, and you also need to be a friend to the referral code giver that’s not a YouTuber.

Got all that?

Article: Tesla updates free lifetime Supercharging policy with Dec. 31 deadline

• Like Like x 1
  2. J.Taylor

J.Taylor Active Member

Supercharging needs to be switched to “pay for your electrons” so it will become a self sustaining business venture. Sure a few legacy cars can charge for free without being much of a problem, but somehow the power needs paid for, and one way or another, owners of TESLA cars will foot the bill. Better to have it as a pay for what you need system.

3. ThosEM

ThosEM Member

Home Page:
    Waayyy too complicated! Agreed it should be pay as you go, except for a few legacy cars like mine ;-) No, actually, I would gladly pay for supercharging if it meant that I owned the juice in my battery and could use it however I pleased, for example as emergency or campground power.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gene

gene Moderator

What do you mean? Isn't the existing paid Supercharging model by region already a pay for what you need type system?

• Like Like x 1
  5. vdiv

vdiv Member

Since Tesla appears to be rather "flexible" with these terms (aka playing games), the prudent thing for any buyer is to negotiate them at the time of purchase.

6. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    Except, Tesla keeps changing the rules in a blanket fashion, and isn't the whole point, no-negotiations, everyone gets the same price.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. vdiv

vdiv Member

The transaction should not be one-sided. If Tesla's approach is our way or the highway (wait, need to rethink that :) ) when their way changes sporadically on a frequent basis one begins to question the true value of the relationship.

8. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    Agreed.

There was a clean vision. That said as of this date... No wait, this later date... Every car gets 400 kWh, then charged.

...And then it changes a few months later... to say EVERYONE with an S or X purchased up until THIS DATE gets free supercharging AND any S or X that you purchase from now on gets free supercharging...

...and NOW this... a restriction to what we really mean about free supercharging, it's not what we said earlier, it's got a time limit.

Tesla needs to provide a clear vision. They've expanded their generosity and now restricting it again. There's a culturally insensitive term that used to explain this behavior when I was a kid... (and I don't want to use that term for this behavior,) but that just sucks...

• Like Like x 1
  9. J.Taylor

J.Taylor Active Member

Sort of, but not really.
    Elon got $2,000 from each owner to get the system in place. Now he has to find electricity cheap so he can supply the cars, or find something else to charge for.
    The problem with 'one price for all' is that we don't all use the same amount of power.

=> I will drive a thousand highway kilometers per month.
    => My neighbor and his three sons will join Uber and drive 24/7 using only the superchargers (just because they are cheap outs).
    => You however will only drive to Grandmas once a year (for which you need the supercharger) and pay the same full rate.

The one price fit's all deal doesn't seem like quite such a bargain when you really think about it with a view to the math.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bcsteeve

bcsteeve Member

That's an interesting view/demand. Let's equate that to ICE. You buy the fuel and you pump the fuel and put it into your gas tank. You own that fuel, but effectively you can only use it for a single predetermined purpose (powering the car). Of course you have the option, if you wish, to stick a hose in there and siphon it out into a gas can and then you can put that fuel to work as you please, "for example as emergency or campground power" in a generator.

You're no more restricted here. If you buy the "fuel" (the electricity) and fill your Tesla's "tank" (batteries) then you do own that electricity, and if you're willing to take the same risks and "siphon" (tap into) you battery you can use that however you wish.

I say "same risks" because you won't look through any ICE manual and find a section on how to siphon a tank. That activity may go back decades, but it isn't "authorized" by any manufacturer. Tesla's not going to authorize it either. But if you have the electrical know-how and appropriate tools... tap away. Its your electricity... do as you please. But I suggest you make sure your last will and testament is current before proceeding.

11. joeski1

joeski1 Member

Home Page:
    I'm not impressed by this waffling. .. I think included unlimited supercharger access for life means just that.. TESLA writes the rules as it goes.. if I did get another TESLA, well hell yeah I'd like the unlimited supercharger access included because I have it already with my present vehicle.. how could they hope to keep me "in the fold" by taking away a feature and raising the cost of the vehicle at the same time? All this "game playing" is gonna eventually start changing minds about TESLA and put them a notch back of the gold standard they themselves set as a benchmark of luxury, execution and convenience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lindsey

Lindsey New Member

this is a tough one, I know why they do it, purchasing a car of this price level is a major decision for most people. Free super charging is certainly something that can tip the scales for someone who is deciding whether or not to take the plunge. So Tesla has been using this a way to move demand forward, first by saying Dec. 31st 2016 was the deadline, then Jan. 15th 2017, then take it away, and now give it back.

I agree though, it does create alot of confusion for the potential consumer, which can lead to folks being turned off by the antics.

I do like the fact that they have not ever waffled on Model 3, Model 3 consumers will pay for super charging.

I really wonder deep down if Elon expects to see a 10x drop in the cost of electricity in the future,

• Like Like x 1