Tesla SVP spotted entering Model 3 with rumored "key card" instead of fob

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by gene, Jul 22, 2017.

1. gene

gene Moderator

#1 gene, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tesla’s Senior Vice President of Engineering Doug Field was recently spotted at the Fremont factory driving off in a gorgeous midnight silver Model 3 with serial number 003. However, it isn’t the sighting of Tesla’s third production Model 3, likely belonging to Field himself, that people are talking about - the first Model 3 off the production line was gifted to CEO Elon Musk - rather it’s the sighting of a Tesla-branded “key card”, leading keen-eyed observers to question whether Tesla will forego their ubiquitous key fob in favor of a simple card.

Field, a VP at Apple prior to joining Tesla, can be heard commenting about Tesla’s customer base in a new video posted to Vimeo. “Never been in a company that had customers like this” says Field while adjusting the Model 3’s adjustable front power seats.

Field is seen grasping a black Tesla-branded cardholder/booklet of some sort before placing it into Model 3’s center cupholder and driving off. Model 3 devout quickly took to social media to proclaim that we’re seeing a key card which Tesla may use in place of their standard key fob that’s in the shape of the actual vehicle.

We’ve included several images, one showing Field grasping the Tesla booklet, along with a few images of what appears to be the same booklet noted in previous Model 3 sightings. Photos courtesy of 888455690657902592[/MEDIA]]Model3OwnersClub via Twitter.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Using a simple RFID-based key card similar to a hotel room card would allow Tesla to further cut costs on Model 3. Unlike the Model S and Model X key fob, a Model 3 key card would have no buttons since Tesla has already confirmed that the vehicle will have a manual trunk. A generic key card is also presumably readily available and cost effective relative to production on a custom molded Model 3 key fob.

What do you think? Leave us your thoughts!

Here’s another video of the Model 3 showing the vehicle’s 003 serial number.

Article: Tesla SVP spotted entering Model 3 with rumored "key card" instead of fob

2. pete8314

pete8314 New Member

Home Page:
    My sources confirmed a keycard a week ago, possibly with a 'regular' key to folllow later for an additional fee. But for sure, they're launching with the card (and phone control).

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bill D.

Bill D. New Member

So I assume that is just to start the car with its' presence? To use remote activities (remote start, lock/unlock doors) you will use your phone? :)

4. Johnny04

Johnny04 New Member

A manual trunk? I can't digest this. What other cars also have a manual trunk? So we're going back a few decades? 20-30 years?

5. pete8314

pete8314 New Member

Home Page:
    I think Gene's analogy to a hotel door is right, if it's passive RFID, then it would need to be close to the doors to unlock, but certainly workable, and very cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GrumSa

GrumSa New Member

This is awesome! Small, convenient, I will just put it in my wallet and forget about it!
    And it will help never leaving my wallet at home ;-)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. waiting4model3

waiting4model3 New Member

Mercedes has had these for at least 15 years. I had one on my 2003 Model S.

8. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Understand how you feel. Certainly practical to have it power assisted...
    Yet ask yourself this: does a base 3-Series BMW have it?
    Also, T≡SLA may add this feature down the road, which of course may not help you if you get your car early... ;)

9. Outcome

Outcome New Member

RFID card keys like that are point of contact... meaning they have to be close to the RFID reader... I have one on my car.... and my car also has a keyfob that broadcasts the RFID electronically using a tiny battery. The keyfob can stay in my pocket or my wallet (it's slim enough).... but once the battery goes dead, I have to use the RFID card manually by pulling it out of my wallet and holding it against the RFID reader which sits underneath the front windshield.

So you won't be able to leave it in your wallet... hence the reason he sets it in the cup holder.... he had to have it out to get in :(

I REALLY need my Model 3 ASAP as my current vehicle is 12 years old... But, I really don't want to get just an RFID card.... I mean, I have an aftermarket electronic proximity keyfob that cost a few hundred dollars to install and purchase. Surely, they will have a keyfob ready in the next few months!?

10. Rasmus Christensen

Rasmus Christensen New Member

Here in Europe, almost all cars sold in this price range has a manual trunk. if it is available it is as an extra.
    Even model s is sold with a manual if you do not choose the premium package.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Michel Colman

Michel Colman New Member

My 8 year old Mercedes had a manual trunk. My new one has an automatic trunk (well, a lid since it's a 5 door estate version), and I hate it!!! You want to throw something into the trunk, so you grab the bottom of the trunk to open it, it goes to about halfway before the car decides it wants to do it itself, so it slows down the opening (yeah, thank you, car, that's really helpful). Meanwhile you've thrown your bag in and want to close it, but noooo... the car now thinks the opening was obstructed so it blocks all motion. If you force it, it makes a horrible screeching sound. You can, however, use the button to close it. So the correct procedure is: open the trunk, throw your stuff in, push the button, be annoyed because the button only works when the lid is all the way open, wait, wait some more, yes, it's open so now I can close it. Sigh...

Maybe Model S has a more intelligent system, I certainly hope so, but anyway, a manual trunk doesn't bother me at all, quite the contrary. I don't need the automatic system, I don't even want it, and it's just one more thing that can break. What's wrong with this world if people think that manually opening and closing a trunk is too much to ask?

12. Samuel Johnston

Samuel Johnston New Member

Are all model 3 interiors to be identical, regardless of exterior color?

13. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

If yes, that would only be initially.
    News very soon! ;)

14. Joshua Blickman

Joshua Blickman New Member

Do we expect to have a memory driver seat?

15. chippy

chippy New Member

I am hoping for one of those little car replica key fobs... Why would he take that card out of his pocket if it was RFID? It looks like he just came from work. My guess is that this is his keycard for getting into the building. I put my work keycard in the same spot when I leave work.

16. Rene Lambert

Rene Lambert New Member

Tesla 3 is like the original iMac.

Simple and focused on the user needs trashing all the obsolete technology (Back then were floppy and serial ports vs USB).

Tesla has focused on ultra minimalism to achieve the true key things the consumer wants: aggressive pricing, electric propulsion and autonomous technology in a package that no German luxury car has today at any price point.

By reducing the parts and accessories they reduced the development costs and cut the engineering time to be ready by this month. I can tell you that one year ago every car supplier was having fun of Tesla in delivering is such a short time. No car has been designed and brought into production in such a short time.

This is a revolutionary approach in the car business.

Just compare this approach to that stupid and useless touch screen key introduced with BMW 7 Series. Who needs that in a car that is already obsolete from the introduction?

Cheers

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Samuel Johnston

Samuel Johnston New Member

WHERE DO I GET A SHIRT LIKE YOURS MIKE?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Stevez1

Stevez1 New Member

Morning, Sam. I used this website model3ownersclub.com and they also have it at teespring.com

• Like Like x 1
  19. Taylor S Marks

Is nobody else going to comment on the fact the floor of the passenger compartment is made of lava?

Seriously, what the heck is going on there? Weird reflection on the window? Cuz it sure seems to me that it's below the seat, not something on the glass. Some weird lighting on the floor?

20. MyNameHasThreeLetters

Whether a card in my wallet, or in the case of my Volvo XC60 has a fob, matters not. Touching the door handle unlocks only the driver door. Absolutely love it...