Tesla Superchargers will use solar power and batteries, says Musk

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Teslarati Bot, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Teslarati Bot

Teslarati Bot New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tesla CEO Elon Musk revealed on Twitter that all Superchargers are being converted to solar and battery power, with the end goal of being almost entirely off the electricity grid.

The reveal follows Tesla’s continued push “to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.” According to Musk’s Master Plan, Part Deux, one of his principle goals is to integrate energy generation and storage through solar and battery products “that just works”. Musk’s pledge via Twitter demonstrates that this plan is still on the forefront. “All Superchargers are being converted to solar/battery power. Over time, almost all will disconnect from the electricity grid.”

The shift to off-grid Supercharging isn’t as lofty of a goal as it may seem considering the company’s successful track record for building self-sustained energy systems. Tesla has created a microgrid system that can sustain the island of Ta’u for 3 full days without sunshine through the use of solar and its commercial Powerpack battery system. Tesla has a similar installation in Southern California, and plans to install the largest Tesla solar-battery energy system to date in Southern Australia.

Tesla currently has 861 Supercharger stations and 5,655 individual stalls globally, with plans to double the high-powered charging network by the end of the year.

The company’s innovative energy storage systems highlight the global opportunity for grid scale batteries to replace peaker units and base load energy generating units.

Article: Tesla Superchargers will use solar power and batteries, says Musk

2. PowerCell

PowerCell New Member

o_O;):eek:... is Musk on crack these days?

3. J.Taylor

J.Taylor Active Member

Powering all the superchargers from solar is just a first step in Elon's mission to convert the entire grid to sustainable power.

Master Plan, Part Deux
    (excerpt)
    The point of all this was, and remains, accelerating the advent of sustainable energy,

So, no, Elon is not on crack, but he is on track to create a sustainable future.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. PowerCell

PowerCell New Member

Well it’s just a ducky idea! I mean, except for the math...

5. joeski1

joeski1 Member

Home Page:
    #5 joeski1, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    Elon... I know your heart is into it.. but right now, it won't work... a roof over 7K system can barely supply enough juice for one vehicle using 5000 kWhrs per 15000 miles annualy... my home solar carport has 400 sq ft of roof and supports almost 3K of pv... this just to "help" power a single vehicle.. in order to power 100's of charges per day.. or even just 50.. you'd need a football field of solar pv per supercharger location..this is just not practical.. in my case, I have clocked 20000 gasoline and tailpipe exhaust free miles on my 2016 TESLA MS 90D. ..

• Like Like x 1
  6. SargeEnzyme

SargeEnzyme New Member

He never said the solar would be on the roof. e.g. Last Wednesday the UK had ~50% of it's electricty from low carbon sources(including nuclear) as more renewables are added to the grid the number of days this happens will be the norm.
    If he goes forward with his promise on batteries, then several(or even a dozen) Tesla Powerpacks per location would make a big difference.
    He would then have a massive virtual continental power station, which could be charged up during off peak times, any excess stored could then be sold back to the grid at peak times, thus eliminating a few gas peaker plants and continuously making money for Tesla.

7. joeski1

joeski1 Member

Home Page:
    #7 joeski1, Jun 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Use is one thing... actually off setting ALL power use of each supercharger with solar pv will take a considerable effort not possible at this time.. if every user of a supercharger uses 50 -80 kWhrs per charge.. each station would need enough batteries to support the daily use of each charger on site.. even as little as 50 charges daily @ 50 kWhrs would take an roughly equal amount of solar generation and battery storage to fully offset just a single routine charger daily demand. . I use Solar power to charge my TESLA. .but I wouldn't say that my TESLA is anywhere near completely solar driven.. that would simply be a salesman's stretch of the actual truth! And one must realize.. the botton line is.. that above all, Elon Musk is a salesman.

• Like Like x 1
  8. J.Taylor

J.Taylor Active Member

Elon's Superchargers will need about 1000 sq ft of panels for each car charged, and estimating a daily use of 20 cars charging per day per charger, that would be 20,000 sq feet of solar panels per charger with battery storage. Notice these don't all need to be connected in the immediate area, electrons travel quite well. I think Elon is quite capable of this level of math, and expect him to have various areas (such as the desert near his gigafactory) set aside for solar power production to make this happen.
    Powering the entire earth with solar would take an area about the size of Spain. The Chinese think they can find enough rooftops and other areas for solar to power China. I wonder why people think the math won't work in the USA?

9. Kyle

Kyle Member

A. You drive a lot.
    B. You live in New Jersey
    C. He gets solar panels at cost, at high volumes
    D. He gets batteries at cost, at the highest volumes
    E. The math works in most areas of the world. Just need more panels or more storage.

I've been driving on solar myself for many years...but in Sunny So Cal :)

• Like Like x 1