Tesla shorts drive Pulitzer-winning journalist off Twitter after glowing review of Model 3 Perform

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by simonalvarez0987, Jul 22, 2018.

1. simonalvarez0987

simonalvarez0987 Active Member

#1 simonalvarez0987, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2018
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Tesla Model 3 recently got its first professional review from a veteran auto journalist. In an article published in the Wall Street Journal, Pulitzer-winning journalist Dan Neil gave the Model 3 performance a glowing review, stating that the car is a “magnificent” piece of automotive engineering that is “representative of the next step in the history of autos.”

Tesla is currently offering test drives for the Model 3 Performance in selected showrooms across the United States. Key publications such as CNET‘s Roadshow also posted teasers about an upcoming review of the vehicle. Based on Neil’s report, the Model 3 Performance is being touted as one of the electric car company’s best vehicles as of date - one that can push Tesla to new heights.

Dan Neil’s review of the Model 3 Performance was largely positive. Though he stated that the car would have performed better had it been equipped with better tires, and he likened the vehicle’s 15-inch touchscreen as the “broken flower pot on Mona Lisa’s head,” Neil was nonetheless impressed by the electric sedan. Neil noted in his WSJ article that while Tesla as a company has its own fair share of issues, including those fueled by CEO Elon Musk’s actions on Twitter, the Model 3 Performance is a star, considering its speed, raw power, and handling. Neil’s observations about the car’s performance mirrored some of the conclusions of Sandy Munro, who conducted a teardown of the Long Range RWD Model 3. Just like Neil, Munro gave a positive review of the vehicle’s capabilities, even stating that whoever designed and tuned the Model 3’s suspension could easily be an “F1 Prince.”

Neil’s positive review did not sit well with Tesla’s staunchest critics. His Twitter feed, for one, was quickly filled with vitriol. The comments section of his Model 3 Performance review in the Wall Street Journal were filled with much of the same criticism as well. Neil defended himself on both places, and on Twitter, he ended up crossing tweets with some notable Tesla short-sellers, including Mark Spiegel and the vocal MontanaSkeptic1, who recently debated Tesla bull Galileo Russell on the Quoth the Raven podcast. Over the weekend, and amidst what appeared to be an overwhelming amount of negativity from Tesla shorts, Neil opted to delete his Twitter account. Fellow automotive reporter Urvaksh Karkaria posted a tweet later on claiming that Neil decided to let his Twitter account go because of the responses to his Model 3 Performance review.

Screenshots of Neil’s final hours on Twitter were captured by members of the Tesla Motors Club, and from what could be seen in the images, the Pulitzer-winning journalist was engaging Spiegel and the MontanaSkeptic1 before he deleted his account. Both Tesla shorts seemed to have taken issue about why Neil has not reviewed the Jaguar I-PACE yet, as well as the $35,000 Standard Range RWD Model 3. One of Neil’s responses to Spiegel also gave the impression that the Tesla short was suggesting the vehicle given to the journalist was “prepped” especially for him (a notion that Neil described as having “no possibility”).

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Dan Neil’s Twitter feed, filled with responses to Tesla shorts, before he deleted his account. [Source: Twitter]

Overall, it is unfortunate to see journalists of Dan Neil’s caliber be subjected to criticism simply because he wrote down his opinions about the Tesla Model 3 Performance. Neil, after all, might be friendly with Musk, but he is never one to shy away from questioning the CEO’s statements. Back in 2011 alone, Neil made a bet with Musk about when the company could start producing the Model S. In an article in the Los Angeles Times, Neil described Musk’s timetable for the all-electric sedan as an “audacious timeline that makes many in the car industry roll their eyes.”

Tesla might be controversial amidst Elon Musk’s occasional Twitter outbursts and the company’s tendency to meet its target timelines later than expected, but at the end of the day, the vehicles it produces ultimately speak for themselves. After all, professional reviewers like Neil, who are veterans of the auto industry, are praising the Model 3 Performance not because of Elon Musk’s rockstar status, but because of its own merits. And that, ultimately bodes well for Tesla.

Article: Tesla shorts drive Pulitzer-winning journalist off Twitter after glowing review of Model 3 Performance

2. mail2larryh

mail2larryh Member

Funny how today\'s business world bullies are mimicking today\'s political world bullies. If you happen to support someone by wearing a Hat or Tee Shirt you get drinks thrown in your face and even beaten up. Those short sellers want to control everyone and everything, you know, like Globalists.  Sad state of affairs. 

3. J.Taylor

J.Taylor Active Member

The shorts are trying to drive TESLA into failure and really don't want anyone telling the truth about how good the car is working.
    Bullying is just wrong.

4. thesimpleHOUSE

thesimpleHOUSE New Member

I would say follow the money and see who is behind the shorts. I\'ll bet it\'s Big Oil and they are running scared because they see the handwriting on the wall and their stuckinthemud way of life eroding away. We have had our LR RWD Model 3 now for just over 5 months and 5,000 miles. We will never by an ICE again. And we own Tesla stock (full disclosure) and we\'re ahead of our purchase price.

5. edhart2020

edhart2020 New Member

6. myspam2

myspam2 New Member

Twitter is for entertainment purposes only......never had an account and never will. Haters exist everywhere, don\'t people understand given the anonymity of the internet, its quite likely your debating a companies performance with a 15 year old?

7. Pluto

Pluto New Member

Nice to see this story reported in a more professional manner! I didn’t want to reach out to Dan for confirmation when I wrote my bit because he probably wants to stay away from the limelight. But since this is gathering more attention then it probably makes sense to see if he has any comments. I mean Elon just retweeted this story to 22M followers so... Just having a fellow journalist’s comments probably isn’t verification enough.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mail2larryh

mail2larryh Member

If anyone believes BIG OIL is behind this, I have a 100 mile per gallon carburetor to sell them along with a well traveled bridge in Brooklyn. If Tesla fails, which I hope it doesn\'t,  it won\'t be because of Big Oil. The ICE engine isn\'t going away any time soon  despite pie in the sky predictions (especially in the 2025 time table set by some) Any attempt to legislate ICE vehicles out of existence will be met with the same public outcry as the \"seat belt starter interlock\" of 1974. The existing infrastructure to service ICE engine customers is well established. In ten minutes tops you can refuel for a 400+ mile trip. Transition to electric will be gradual and can only be accelerated if battery technology advances to improve range and reduce charging times oh and reduced initial vehicle cost. Yeah I know the truth hurts.

9. joeski1

joeski1 Member

Home Page:
    Paranoia is rampant.

Opinion is just opinion.

Why aren't those vehicles in the desert being directly delivered to their purchasers?

I certainly wouldn't want my brand new vehicle baking in the desert sun unprotected for any length of time, before or after it was delivered

Extreme heat warps and cracks plastic.

Could also do long term damage to battery packs if they are installed.

Shouldn't every one of those be plugged in to maintain battery charge and cooling?

Something is not right.

I am still waiting ( 2 months now) for a call back on my Bosch steering rack parts as part of a "safety " recall. I believe that is my 3rd recall so far on my MS.

Also.

Fact : Any cloth seat could be called Vegan.

& Tesla Vegan seats are mostly 2 component plastic and chemical foam.

You may not be using oil.. but you are still sitting and driving on it (tires).

10. tristacreamer6

tristacreamer6 New Member

Thanks for the unbiased review.
    To those short sellers: If you have family members who are dying because of lung cancer or pollution related diseases, please tell them that they have no chance to survive because you are killing clean-air electric vehicle company.

11. tristacreamer6

tristacreamer6 New Member

Thanks for the unbiased review.
    To those short sellers, if you have family members who are dying because of lung cancers or pollution related diseases, please tell them that they have no chance to survive because you are killing a clean-air electric vehicle company

12. MSp

MSp New Member

To Joeski1: May I challenge you to surprise everyone with a post that is NOT negative, instead of always jumping on every occasion to show us how terrible Tesla is? It gets so boring and seems such an obvious pattern. Seriously. This is just an open question, I am simply and honestly wondering, can you please try this for a change?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. martinwinlow

martinwinlow New Member

*Except* that in the mean-time we are playing Russian Roulette with the (as yet) only planet fit for us and all the other fauna and flora we share it with. Personally, it *really* doesn't bother me that I have to extend my (long) journey times by 10% to 20% to simply 'do my bit'. Quite why everyone else can't as well is a complete mystery. Perhaps they all need to just try it instead of continuing to bury their collective heads in the sand? Breaking up long trips also makes for a much less tiring and safer journey (and, again, IMO, a much more enjoyable one because of that).

As to the higher cost of new EV Vs comparable ICEVs, I can't deny this is an issue. But a/ *used* EV prices are very low comparatively speaking and b/ it is only a question of time before parity is reached and quite possibly not that much longer before EVs will be cheaper than ICEVs. And none of this really matters in the long term, anyway, because EVs are so much cheaper to run. If government incentives were organised along the lines of cheap loans rather than cut-and-dried grants (as they are here in the UK), not only would EV buyers be able to afford them but the government might even make some money from them!