Tesla reveals Model 3 dual-motor AWD, Performance price and specs

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by simonalvarez0987, May 19, 2018.

1. simonalvarez0987

simonalvarez0987 Active Member

#1 simonalvarez0987, May 19, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2018
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tesla has released the pricing and specifications for the Model 3 in a dual-motor AWD and Performance configuration. Upgrading to a dual motor drivetrain costs an additional $5,000. The Performance variant, capable of accelerating from 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds, and complete with all options except Autopilot, will be priced at $78,000.

Buyers choosing the Performance package for Model 3 will have the option to add a Black and White interior that includes the highly-anticipated white seat trim. According to Musk, the Black and White interior is being limited to Model 3 Performance for the time being, due to limited parts availability, but will broaden over time. It will be closer to the end of the year before non-performance Model 3 will be offered with the white seat option.

Also, the dual motor Tesla Model 3 Performance will be equipped with a carbon fiber spoiler and 20″ Performance wheels, a third wheel option that adds to the standard 18″ Aero Wheels and the 19″ Sport wheels.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Tesla Model 3 belonging to Chief Designer Franz von Holzhausen

Considering the capabilities and features of the Model 3 dual motor performance version, the line between Tesla’s mass market compact sedan and its flagship Model S continues to blur. With a $3,500 price difference between the Model S 75D that starts at a base price of $74,500, and the dual motor Model 3 Performance version that’s priced at $78,000, Tesla’s two electric sedan offerings are very comparable. In range alone, the dual motor Model 3 boasts 310 miles of driving range per single charge - same goes for the Model 3 performance version - while the Model S 75D has a rated range of 259 miles per charge.

The Model S 75D is rated with a top speed of 140 mph and 0-60 mph in 4.2 seconds, while the dual motor Model 3 tops out at the same 140 mph, but with a slightly slower 0-60 mph time of 4.5 seconds, or .6 seconds quicker than the Long Range Model 3 in single motor configuration at 5.1 seconds.

RELATED: Tesla Model 3 clocks 0-60 mph in 4.6 sec, beating Tesla’s performance claims

A key advantage that the Model S 75D has over the two new Model 3 variants, aside from being an all-around larger car with greater passenger and cargo capacity, lies in its features such as the power liftgate and Air Suspension. The electronically adjustable Smart Air Suspension feature for Model 3 is expected to be available in 2019, as noted by Elon Musk. The lack of free Supercharging is also a considerable disadvantage for the Model 3 over its more premium sibling.

As noted by Musk in a tweet, the dual-motor AWD and Performance Model 3 would likely start production in July and begin when the Model 3 line achieves a steady rate of 5,000 vehicles per week. Otherwise, Musk stated that the additional options would end up adding complexity to the electric car’s production line.

Model 3 Dual Motor AWD Specifications

• 310 mile Range
    • 4.5 sec 0-60 mph
    • 140 mph Top Speed
    • $54,000 (price without Autopilot)
    • First deliveries in July 2018

Model 3 Performance Specifications

• 310 mile Range
    • 3.5 sec 0-60 mph
    • 155 mph Top Speed
    • $78,000 (price without Autopilot)

Article: Tesla reveals Model 3 dual-motor AWD, Performance price and specs

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. robinrhaney

robinrhaney Member

In the world of exotic ICE sports car, the price increase to go from a super-sports car, 0-60 in 4.5, and a supercar, 0-60 in 3.5, is a lot more than $23000. Frankly though, not being interested in track days, and not being willing to drop $1000 on new tyres for one of same, the AWD, which will likely do 0-60 in 4.1 or so if pressed, will be good enough. Disappointed its $5000, not $4000, which would accord more with promises made, but that\'s what my order will be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steve B

Steve B New Member

44% more for the performance over the dual motor? I\'d laugh if it\'s just a software feature flag

4. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

It’s a steep price delta, no doubt, yet this is a definite illustration of value pricing relative to cost plus... ;) To the extent the Performance Model 3 will represent an alternative to classics like the BMW M3 or even the mythic Porsche 911, I can rationalize this price though it feels like just too much money for me...

Red Dragon meets my needs. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Famman49

Famman49 New Member

First day line-stander. Still don't have the option to select AWD or Performance. Anyone else locked out? Also very disappointed white interior will only be available on performance for now. Can't wait for that to be available since that will drop the Fed Tax Credit substantially.

6. waiting4model3

waiting4model3 New Member

For those of us that live in Oregon, the ground clearance information is more important than the time it takes to get to sixty miles per hour.  Does anyone have the ground clearance info and whether it can be raised or lowered?

7. RFP

RFP Member

As with other folks, I need some clarification.. I would want the base at $35K + two $5K packages and $2500 for sport wheels and paint packages and AWD for $5K. ($52,500). What I see is a 310 mile range price. Does this mean an additional $9K until, if ever, the standard battery is available? I won't expand on this in case, hopefully, I am misinterpreting the statement.

8. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

And..................what will the price be in Euro's?
    Euro 66.000 excluding taxes and fees for the one I want. My wife will say I am mad. In fact...........I will say the same.

The Jag I-pace is a far better package by then for me. The only negative about the Jag is the loading infrastructure. Hope that Jaguar and Tesla can come to an agreement at this point as Elon proposed opening the Tesla Superchargers for other carmakers.

9. Kaz

Kaz New Member

Can't be raised or lowered unless you modify the suspension.

10. Kaz

Kaz New Member

BOO!

"It will be closer to the end of the year before non-performance Model 3 will be offered with the white seat option."

11. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

This morning I was in a Tesla shop in The Netherlands, Europe. There the assumption for the model 3 is that Dutch consumer prices (including VAT or BTW as called in Holland) will be around the same as American prices. Base model most surely around the Euro 40.000 mark including BTW.

Something else..................Almost everyday they get emails stating that production is ramping up rapidly. From that the other assumption is that deliveries in The Netherlands will start late this year. More precise. At the end of the year. Even for my reservation done in November 2016.

But as the employee said on both points: It is not sure and it could be off. (very good of him to be careful)

As they are always very careful (as they should be), I think both points are possible projections.

I as well was at a Jaguar dealer. i-Pace will be delivered at the end of the year, "but if you want one this year you have to hurry. The production batch is almost full": was the talk. Base model around Euro 80.000 including BTW. And one can testdrive from July.

12. JordanWilliamson

I think Tesla is starting to get a little ridiculous with the Model 3 now. We're up to $75,000 for a "mass market" car, that doesn't even include the other features they have promised like air suspension.

In my opinion Tesla shouldn't have made a performance version, it should have been SRB and LRB, AWD and RWD. Other options should have been purely cosmetic. Focus on getting the cost of ownership down even further so they can be even more competitive once governments end subsidies. Is this car aimed at the mass market or a slightly less expensive upper class toy like the Model S?

Also if you want to get positive media coverage, release the $35,000. As of right now they are selling a $50,000-$75,000 car. This isn't mass market.

Big Tesla fan, but still holding my reservation until they release their mass market car which right now is said to be early 2019.