Tesla refreshes mobile app with modern UI, Touch ID and improved speed

Discussion in 'Tesla Apps' started by Teslarati Bot, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Teslarati Bot

Teslarati Bot New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Early Model S adopters many of whom have been using the company’s mobile app for several years with little to no change finally have something to rejoice about. Tesla has released an updated version of the app with a new modern user interface, Touch ID for iOS users, and significantly improved speed.

Tesla’s app provides Model S and Model X drivers with the ability to interact directly with their vehicles, and control common functions such as starting and stopping vehicle charging, and setting in-cabin temperatures remotely through the app. Tesla owners with Autopilot-equipped vehicles can also use the app to Summon their vehicles.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Vehicle climate control settings are now presented on an overhead view of the interior, similar to the user interface that’s on the vehicle itself. The new screen is more responsive than the previous app, and contains striking detail of the interior. Even differences between early generation seat patterns and latest generation seats are reflected on the app perfectly. And in striking detail.

Despite the new UI improvements, it’s worth noting that no additional features were added to the app. This might come as a surprise to many, especially to those Tesla owners living in cold regions of the world who were expecting windshield defroster and seat heater controls in the mobile app.

Tesla has also incorporated a new splash image that features the company’s latest Referral Program.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Article: Tesla refreshes mobile app with modern UI, Touch ID and improved speed

2. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    This was a pretty positive review for an update to an app after 4 years that added almost no new functionality.

The only new feature of interest to me is Touch ID ability (effectively killing my use of Remote S). I'm not a fan of the speed of the Apple Watch but they also are missing functionality there.

Overall, it was a very mediocre update and uninspired.

My guess is the code base was stale and they needed an update. From the looks, I'm wondering if they went with a single code base via react-native (https://facebook.github.io/react-native/). That would be good news for the Android folks as they would no longer get left behind. The functionality is so light that the relative immaturity of react-native won't be an issue.

Is anyone excited about this update? As far as I'm concerned they may as well have skipped it.

3. gene

gene Moderator

For me, I always like to see progress no matter how small it is :) I'm happy with the new update and looking forward to seeing (hoping to see) new functionality making its way into the app. More features = more APIs too! :)

4. RJFlorida

RJFlorida New Member

What is "Switch to Vader"? A blackout of the lights?

5. gene

gene Moderator

The app allows you to toggle between vehicles, in this case one of the vehicles is named "Vader".

6. electric joe

electric joe New Member

After using it for a couple of days I agree that this is an improvement, even if it's a little disappointing to see that Touch ID was the only added feature. It's certainly more responsive, and I like the general layout now that I'm used to it. One thing I miss, although it's not important, is that the Location screen of the old app used to show a version of the speedometer from the instrument cluster so you could see electricity use (or regeneration) and speed in real time laid out in a circle just like on the dashboard. It was a fun thing that's now gone, probably because the autopilot-capable cars don't show that graphic even in the car anymore.

7. gene

gene Moderator

Me too! That was one of my favorite features of the app which was especially useful for monitoring when the car was in the hands of valet attendants.

8. Dan_TeslaX

Dan_TeslaX New Member

Not living in a major metro with heavy 4G coverage, I had gotten used to the app not connecting. My home is in a particularly dead zone, and I had about 1 chance in 10 of connecting with the old app (Android), and not just restart the app - if it decided not to work that day, no amount of restarting would help. Sometimes rebooting the console seemed to help, but not every time.

With the new app, I have seen a marked improvement in my chances of actually connecting to the car so I think something went on behind the new visuals to improve performance (perhaps in advance of new features?). I've only not connected 1 time since the new app was released.

I too miss the throttle/energy consumption display - keeping track of the wife, so I can backseat drive from home.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gene

gene Moderator

LOL.

They're probably no longer highlighting poor connection issues thus giving off the appearance that there's no issue. That's my guess at least.

10. Dan_TeslaX

Dan_TeslaX New Member

Nope, in fact the new app actually lists a 'time since last update' so you know if it breaks connection. I also know if it connects when I turn the climate control on and get a response.

11. gene

gene Moderator

I guess the positive takeaway is that you no longer get the annoying pop up message.

Is your car connected to WiFi at home?

12. Dan_TeslaX

Dan_TeslaX New Member

Some of the problem is that my WiFi is very weak in the garage, as is cellular. I had just though no signal was the cause, BUT teslalog can always locate the car at home and the new app seemed to make a big improvement.

It may just be placebo, however as I can't connect right now, and have had a few more failures lately.

13. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    I count presses to do a thing I normally do. Too many presses to unlock my door.

14. eric

eric New Member

Why can't we see the camera from the app? Rear camera in older cars and all the other cameras in the new cars. Sensors in the car could even tell you if someone is messing with your car...

15. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    They probably don't want to send that much data through the servers/net/connection.

16. electric joe

electric joe New Member

Having a remote camera view would be great, though. Hell, even getting a one frame per 20 seconds update rate would be helpful for making sure the garage door is closed, or seeing if it's snowing outside.

17. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    You mean like this:
    Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 9.53.03 PM.jpg

Checkout Foscam or Amcrest. Cheap little cameras that just need power. I can see my cameras (I have 12) from anywhere in the world. And they record on motion etc.

Link to the most recent model I bought:
    http://amzn.to/2lxrP32