Tesla publishes Model 3 vs. Model S specifications in employee-only handout

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Kyle, May 22, 2017.

1. Kyle

Kyle Member

#1 Kyle, May 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tesla has begun distributing Model 3 information to its employees, showing a visual side-by-side comparison of Model 3 specifications against the company’s flagship Model S, according to Trevor Page founder of the Model3 Owners Club forum. “You won’t find this on Tesla’s site, it’s ‘talking points’ given to all Tesla employees for when talking to customer about the differences with Model S and Model 3”, says page.

The new photos posted by Page highlights several new data points for the Model 3 including a 0-60 mph time of 5.6 seconds. This is the first firm performance data point that has been publicly shared beyond a “sub 6 second” time. 5.6 seconds is just a hair slower than the 5.4 seconds achieved by the Model S 85kWh version, and a time that should put a smile on anyone looking at the base Model 3 configuration.

The much talked about Model 3 trunk also gets some attention in the new side-by-side Model 3 vs. Model S comparison. Model 3 will have less than half the cargo space of the Model S, measuring 14 cubic feet compared to the cavernous 30 cubic feet of the Model S. The measurement includes both front and rear cargo space. Tesla notes that the Model 3 will have a manual trunk compared to the power lift gate available on the Model S.

The simplification Tesla has done to bring Model 3 to market is also put on display in the newly published slides. Model 3 shifts from two massive displays found on the Model S to one smaller display that’s mounted in a landscape orientation. Tesla also notes that Model S has more than 1,500 configurations compared to less than 100 for Model 3. Streamlining production has been a key focus for the company as it aims for volume production this year. Tesla CEO Elon Musk announced that first Model 3 deliveries will take place in July.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Photo credit: 866685532746764289[/MEDIA]]Model 3 Owners Club

The drastic reduction in configurations between Model S and Model 3 might mean longer wait times for anxious Model 3 reservation holders holding out for a dual motor drivetrain with performance battery pack and Ludicrous mode.

What type of Model 3 configuration are you interested in?

Article: Tesla publishes Model 3 vs. Model S specifications in employee-only handout

2. Taylor S Marks

Taylor S Marks Active Member

1500+ configurations on the S?

I think they're saying 5 battery/powertrains, 9 interiors, 2 roofs, premium?, subzero?, sound?, rear seats?, and Ludicrous spoiler? as how they get 1500+ configurations (adds up to 1728 configurations). I don't think they're counting Autopilot, Paint, or Wheels when they say that.

I would guess the <100 configurations for the 3 would be...
    4 powertrains (55, 75, 75D, P75D), 3 interiors, premium?, subzero?, sound?... giving 96 different configurations. And then also Autopilot, Paint, and Wheels are options not counted in there.

Edit: Oh, on the S I forgot that the air suspension is optional on the 90D... didn't factor that in...

• Like Like x 1
  3. benw

benw New Member

This flyer doesn't really make sense. Elon said that the Model 3 would come standard with a glass roof to make everyone feel roomy, but the flyer says that one of the premium features of the Model S (what I am assuming is not available on the 3) is the glass roof. Also, I am hoping for a power liftgate. Seriously, these are 40,000 dollar cars with options, which is what I would consider as basically a luxury vehicle, and it doesn't have a power liftgate? I am hoping for a "premium upgrades package" that includes the power liftgate and some better lighting. I was surprised the cargo space on the 3 is so small, but the length of the car is only less than one foot shorter. I feel that Tesla is purposely consuming cargo space just to make whoever buys the Model 3 hesitate and then buy the S.

4. clprenz

clprenz Member

I definitely agree with a lot of what you've said. I think Musk is working hard on making the Model S far more attractive. However, the glass roof will definitely be standard, while it wasn't standard on the Model S for a long time. They probably are just exaggerating the "premium" features the Model S has included.
    I would think the major premium differences lie with the materials and flashy features like; handles, doors, and upgraded air filteration.

5. benw

benw New Member

Sure, but I feel like Elon thinks they made the Model 3 too good for the price, and too many people are abandoning their decision to buy a Model S and reserving a Model 3. Honestly, the two cars don't have too big of a difference other than range and size and displays. But sacrificing all of that to save 30,000 dollars is something most people are willing to do. Now, Elon is just downgrading the Model 3 and also anti-selling it. I wouldn't be surprised if he purposely makes a few production delays and makes some "design barriers", cutting the front trunk, range, and other stuff like that.

6. Discoducky

Discoducky New Member

I wonder if at launch we'll see way less than 100 configurations possible in order to accelerate launch ramp? 2 battery options, 4 paint options, 2 interior options, subzero, premium package and 3 Autopilot options.

Edit: I think glass roof is still standard, no option for anything else.

7. The Stig

The Stig New Member

I've never seen a company advertise it's own product in such a negative way. I appreciate they need to balance the risk of losing Model S customers for Model 3's, but I really wouldn't have thought that's a big risk for them. I'm sure a few S owners will switch but they cars are not in the same class. You dont see BMW doing little flyers comparing the 7 series to the 3 series!

I've never seen a company compare it's own products like that. You'd expect them to produce a flyer like that for comparison against the bolt, with a little slow stopwatch and tiny battery etc.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Discoducky

Discoducky New Member

Right! Amazing how much Tesla isn't competing against any other car but their own cars.

• Like Like x 1
  9. anthony j eckstorm

anthony j eckstorm New Member

No HEPA option? That's a bummer. Was looking forward to that. Hopefully it still has a cabin filter at least.

10. EggMcMuffin

EggMcMuffin New Member

During the 1st unveil a driver stated that there will be a metal roof as well. I believe that the glass roof will be optional on the 3 (it is standard on the S now). I do not recall anyone from Tesla promising a standard glass roof on Model 3.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GTV6

GTV6 New Member

The idea that Elon is purposely trying to make the 3 less attractive is counter-intuitive. His business plan clearly
    indicates that he must sell the 3 in mass quantities or he's out of business. 5K more large car sales is not going to keep him in business. Furthermore, have you looked closely at $40K BMW's? Their features and interior are not particularly luxurious.
    $40K is no longer enough for a luxury car, especially one with this type of performance and safety. I also do not recall anyone promising a glass roof. I think the biggest problem is the minimal storage but I think that about all sedans without a hatch. But nothing has cooled my anticipation. Hope the "cool" thing is not rims because they would probably be oversized, a problem on my local rural roads on most any vehicle. An Elon bobble-head doll for the rear package shelf might be appropriate, with eyes serving as third brake light. The to-60 time is plenty for any sane non-track use. Still would prefer AWD.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Jeffrey Herrera

Jeffrey Herrera New Member

I'm also looking forward to the model 3 but I have to say that watching a company seem to back pedal is discouraging and it's making me want to see the car before I buy it. Its just causing questions like How small is this trunk space? Can I fit a suitcase or two? What does less than 100 configurations mean? Is Elon going to beat the 215 mile range like he hinted?

I wonder why they just didn't stick with some basic luxury differences like, bio weapon defense mode, air suspension, high performance and ludicrous mode only available on model s.

13. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

All RCs had the all glass. Things that point in the direction of that being the base is the relatively small center that would have been metal between the very large windshield and rear window as well as the simplification of only offering two roof versions instead of three on the S for a minimal extra cost & and a major plus on exclusivity! :)

14. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Was very much in the same place last night... then I slept.... and woke up to a bright new sunshiny day! Overall, I still feel the car will be great and I'm almost certain (99%) I will want it even more after I see it and drive it... Am I happy about the apparent small cargo space? For sure not... yet, would I have had more in a coupe? Nope. Of course, like you I want to 'feel' the car and, yes, clearly hoping for a higher than 215 miles of range! :)

15. Adam P90D

Adam P90D New Member

Negative? I'd say this is spot on positioning statement. The people who put this together know how to inform a sales team ... prioritized differentiators, not fictional value propositions (which tend to beg customer objections, leading to "overcoming customer objections" ... by the time you read that on a sales training document, expect to have no fun selling the product and having a high percentage of the customer population saying "why did I buy this, it's not what I want?")

i I were to read between the multi-lingual graphics, I'd say this is a "anti cannibalization" training sheet.

This document says "continue selling the Model S; Model S customers are not going to be happy about waiting for the Model 3 only to find it's like a BMW 5 Series or Mercedes E customer waiting for the entry level model to arrive ... no customer thinking about an S Class or E Class is saying "but what if I really like the new C Class ... I need to wait and be sure ... maybe I really do want a much smaller car with far less content, fewer options, less performance, and less perceived value ..." : )

Personally, I wish Tesla would spring a surprise on us and say "ta da, we also built a two door version of the Model 3 with optional ludicrous plus version on R compound tires with carbon ceramic brake rotors and factory roll cage with harness mounts for track days, as light as we could make it, and we'll stand by the warranty." I think they'd sell all they could make. Talking with Model 3 waiters and people like me with 22K mile Model X, there's a theme of 'maybe this Model 3 isn't what we want now there's no high end stuff like HUD.' I can afford an S and I don't need it smaller in terms of length, though narrower would make sense since both S and X take a wide berth in the parking spots and the narrow city street lanes, and it's not as if I'd ever get in a 100D Model S and mutter "oh no, I've made a terrible mistake ..."

Maybe Tesla should offer a Prius or Volt trade-in program to donate those vehicles to schools for a tax write-off when the schools convert them to plug-in EVs and take out the gas engine entirely ... : )

• Like Like x 1
  16. AWDinCT

AWDinCT New Member

First post here.

I'm still a little salty about the news that AWD will be available "later".

Waiting is one thing - I waited years for an AWD vehicle from a luxury brand with safety and great energy mileage (Model S is just too expensive to justify, more on that below).

But one of the big hooks for me was the $7500 tax credit. This really seemed to make a pragmatic spender like me take the leap. But as it turns out, now those of us who live in climates with weather challenges may literally get screwed financially. It's one thing to let people "reserve" their cars in order, knowing they have to wait longer for the AWD dual motor models to be manufactured, but it sounds like I will be choosing between taking a rear wheel drive version with the $7500 credit, or, waiting for dual motors and paying somewhere between $8000 and $12000 more for it (since I'm paying the extra for the dual motor as we losing $3750 - $7500 of the tax credit). Double penalty for being a loyal advanced reservation holder.

As for the model S ... trust me, I've considered it since the day they existed. But at $80K or more, this father of 3 (all starting college in the next 2-7 years), who understands finance and depreciating assets, I continue to fail in my attempts to justify the cost.

Lump me into the "not quite a millionaire" category, $1200-$1500 a month for a car payment (before energy and insurance costs) is for those who have so much extra cash they need to be creative to figure out how to burn it. Don't get me wrong, I love that the option is there and people who can afford it, but the jump from say $45k model 3 with options to 75 or more for an S is essentially double - for what feels like 20 percent more car (and many bells and whistles not needed).

The reason Musk is anti selling the 3 is because of the aforementioned. What does the S get you? More space, a few millisecond to 60mph? A dual display panel?

I think I would need it to mow my lawn with AI, work as a power source for my house, work as a wireless server for my programming work, and transform into a convertible hovercraft that can fly over water for summer lake outings for me to justify 80 or more :)

Having said that, I'm still dying to get my 3, as I was in 2016, and for many years before it was even announced. But I wonder, if another luxury brand announces an eye catching comparable EV soon and it has the $7500 credit for AWD, what is the prudent choice?

• Like Like x 2
  17. GrandPoobah

GrandPoobah Member

AWDinCT, I feel your pain. I'm a father of 2 who are in PRIVATE colleges now, and have come to a similar conclusion with regards to the "affordability" of the S. I too made my reservation basically as an "investment" to recoup the $7500 credit later. I live in MD, so we don't get the harsh winters that you do, so I'm contemplating sticking with the RWD model so that I am more likely to get the full $7500 credit. That pains me some, as I really like the boost in performance that the AWD brings, but perhaps a bigger battery and more range will make up for my angst.

I am also keeping my eye on other brands, but even if they announce something tomorrow, it will likely be another two years before I would get a car. Quite frankly, my 2008 Prius with 192K miles will probably not last that long, and at this point there is some doubt whether it will even last long enough for the Model 3.

I am also considering buying a used S, the most affordable way to get behind the wheel of an S, albeit without the latest Autopilot features.

18. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Lots has been said and written on this one already... however, since you joined today - and though your avatar scares the sh.. out of me :p - let me just say that to the extent the 200k cumulative registrations threshold in the US is reached by T≡SLA by say December of this year, you'd still have the full $7,500 tax credit if you get you car by March 2018... And if the 200k is surpassed post 1/1/18, you have until June... And in any case after March or June 2018, you still have two quarters at half the tax credit.

Also please check this thread which seems to have been written especially for you... ;)
    https://forums.teslarati.com/thread...-the-7-500-federal-tax-credit.2485/#post-4517

So my guess is not all is lost.. If I were in CT, or even in OH where my wifey is from, I'd definitely wait for AWD...

Best of luck!
    Mike

19. MyNameHasThreeLetters

#19 MyNameHasThreeLetters, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    I've been interested and followed Tesla since pre-release of the 2008 Roadster, but it's becoming obvious on the cusp of releasing Model 3. Tesla still doesn't care to make a practical, real world vehicle.

1) Pricing on Model X just is not approachable for most of us.

2) Model S Rear Facing Seats (RFS) area has no ventilation.

3) Model S RFS only accommodate children less than 5 feet tall. (In other words, your kids cannot be too little, or too tall. They have to be just... perfect (in stature for this feature to be useful)).

Model 3 certainly won't address any of these concerns.

So, I reached out and presented these notions to Tesla. I was told you can pre-heat or cool the entire car. Okay, but that means you are limited to a grocery run, or to the movie theater... not really a solution.

Merely, I suggested that such considerations should be considered for future iterations of the car. My suggestion was summarily ignored, deflected, then cheerfully volunteered Elon's fan club-style backstory of RFS was included when he had kids... It's well-&-good that Elon is a family man, and that he can afford to have a car designed for his specific needs.

However, the elephant in the room is that Tesla is now supposed to be selling cars to the rest of us... and there are still a great deal of improvements to be made. (and they aren't willing to take suggestions.)

So much for: accelerating transition to sustainable transportation for the masses!

Still just a luxury bauble.

20. MyNameHasThreeLetters

Definitely agree. I'm sure people will happily take my place in line, but the closer we get to release of Model 3... The less attractive Tesla appears as a practical brand.