Tesla patent hints at possible Model S, X refresh with new HVAC system

Discussion in 'In the News' started by simonalvarez0987, Jun 13, 2018.

1. simonalvarez0987

simonalvarez0987 Active Member

#1 simonalvarez0987, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2018
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Details coming out of a new international patent application filed by Tesla reveals an infotainment-controlled HVAC system that could be intended for an upcoming Model S and Model X refresh.

A similar HVAC control system has already been rolled out by Tesla in its compact electric sedan, the Model 3. The Model 3 uses two intersecting planes of air for vertical control. Lateral fins hidden within the electric car’s dashboard provide horizontal air control while also providing a clean, minimalistic look. Tesla’s filed patent describes features that are similar to Model 3’s air vent system that’s controlled through its 15″ center touchscreen. Patent US2017 / 058015 titled “Infotainment System with Air-Vent Control,” describes a system to manipulate the airflow inside the vehicle through the vehicle’s media control unit. 

The air vent assembly includes a first vent portion placed in front of the driver and a second vent portion that is placed in front of the passenger. These vent portions may be elongated as compared to traditionally known designs of air vent assemblies in that they have longer, more linear vents instead of more circular or boxy vents.

Embodiments of the present disclosure enhance the capabilities of this air vent assembly to provide air flow in a leftward, rightward, onward, and a split configuration using a single rotary actuator. In certain embodiments, the user interface may also allow a user to define the degree to which the vents may cause air to flow in the rightward, leftward, or split direction. 

Similar to Model 3’s unique HVAC system, the one described in the patent application also allows passengers to customize the airflow within the vehicle according to passenger preferences. 

In certain embodiments, the user customizes the airflow, for example, the specific direction of the airflow. This can allow for a more comfortable experience for the occupants of a vehicle. For example, certain occupants may desire for air to be directed towards themselves while other occupants may desire the temperature of the vehicle cabin to be set to a certain value without having air directly impinging on themselves.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

An illustration of Tesla’s recent patent on an infotainment-controlled HVAC system. [Credit: World Intellectual Property Organization]

With anticipation running high that Model S and Model X is due for a refresh, an update to its HVAC system would not only unify the dashboard design across its fleet of vehicles but could also simplify production. For one, Tesla’s unique air vent system requires less hardware and thus minimizes the need for multiple suppliers. Using a simpler design, Tesla’s thinner HVAC system can efficiently utilize space in the dashboard, and provide a much more expansive interior feel. Such a system, as proven by the Model 3, would also give drivers better road visibility.

While Tesla’s international patent application did not specifically mention a vehicle model, illustrations included in the document resembles the design of the Model S and Model X’s dashboard. Figure 1, for example, features a dashboard that is similar to the all-electric luxury sedan and SUV. Apart from a similar-looking instrument cluster and infotainment system, the illustration also features a dashboard curvature that’s aligned with that of Model S and Model X’s current design. Armrest cupholders located between the front seats at the bottom of Fig. 1 also draws resemblance to ones found in the Model S and Model X.

Adopting an HVAC system that’s akin to the Model 3 for the Model S and Model X would likely be a welcomed change for Tesla enthusiasts. During his testing and teardown of the vehicle earlier this year alone, Detroit veteran Sandy Munro, who issued a harsh critique of the electric car’s build quality, admitted in a later comment that the Model 3’s HVAC system was “brilliant,” citing its simple yet ingenious design. 

Aside from major refreshes, Tesla continues to improve the components of its vehicles over time. As revealed by Elon Musk in a recent conversation with Consumer Reports’ Jake Fisher, the Tesla CEO noted that improvements have been rolled out to the Model 3 since its production began, from better interior materials that reduce road noise to a software update that improves the vehicles’ controls. Tesla’s flagship Model S and Model X are no strangers to this, and a revamped HVAC system can only improve the experience for its driver and passengers.

Article: Tesla patent hints at possible Model S, X refresh with new HVAC system

2. joeski1

joeski1 Member

Home Page:
    They better make dam sure it works better than the existing system for heat.

They can only go backward in the MS with an M3 interior look.

Jaguar and BMW are chomping at TESLA's pants seat with more typical and consumer expected interiors.

TESLA is on thin ice of minimalistic looking barren and without art or style in form.dash layouts

Dull and CHEAP immediately come to mind.

3. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Howdy. As always, please do consider that opinions are all over the map on this one. Some people love the minimalist interior of the 3. ;)

4. joeski1

joeski1 Member

Home Page:
    #4 joeski1, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Operative word:

"some"

Market?

"mass"

Are they equal?

No.

Minimalistic is a double edge sword.

What have folks traditionally come to expect from their motor vehicle interiors?

The money is there, not making converts to a barren interior landscape which I see in the M3

I submit more traditional designs will increasing get more sales when available.. honestly.. I was in a propane arena service vehicle that had a more informative and easier on the eyes dash (aside from the TS) than the M3..

Some Chinese outfit makes it..

Now about the MS heater in the cold weather.. range off ,,set to 75.inside both sides... cold feet in winter.. girlfriend complains.. set to 80 her side. still cold.. 85.. not much betrer.. but warmsr.. does outside air or coolant flow between the battery top and floor?

In winter, my heater is blowing hot air.. it's just not really getting warm at the front floor while in motion...

I call it the "trailer home" effect..

Where the floor never can warm up because the freezing cold air is always working at it from underneath.. just like in a trailer home.. the heat blasts out.. but it immediately rises.. having little effect in warming the in motion cold saturated floor..

Hope they can do better.. my ears are ringing from her lack of comfort.. silly girl expects 200 degree heat at the front floor in winter just like in her 2010 Civic Hybrid.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm New Member

The Model 3 alone is outselling the BMW 2/3/4-series in the US with its “minimalistic looking” interior... obviously the “some” are many.

• Like Like x 1
  6. joeski1

joeski1 Member

Home Page:
    #6 joeski1, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Which $60, 000.00 +/- electric BMW sedan are you referring to?

That's what the M3 will go up against.

Don't compare against a $35K BMW , JAG or MB because it isn't a $35K vehicle..

Aplles to Apples

I wrote as soon as more electric vehicles become available with more traditional dash layouts ...

TESLA is not competing with ANY electric BMW right now in the 3, 5 series..

But they soon will

THAT will be real competition .

And JAG Too!

And the JAG I PACE interior appointments certainly look more like what people expect from a car inside.

Minimalistic can appear backward or lacking compared to sleek or timeless.

Wonder if their heat will function better when it's 15 out?

Gotta test drive.. their sales folks will LOVE to see me pull up in my MS..

Bet I will also see a sweet LEASE deal if I desire.. but Im not into the SUV craze at all..

It easy to say your the best pizza in town when you are the ONLY pizza in town!

Now eat our pizza as is or drive to the next town.

I predict that road to the next town over could be busy enough to open a hot dog stand and get a few pizza types to buy a hot dog instead. Get the drift?

Tick..tick..tick..

7. martinwinlow

martinwinlow New Member

@
    I think you are utterly and completely wrong on all levels... which kind of makes Michael Russo's point.

When the mobile phone was invented the vast majority of people who owned a phone thought that they would never catch on and wanted to keep their telephone conversations in the parlour (or wherever) not to mention private... Look where we are now.

If improvement is needed it should be made to the voice recognition capabilities which should, in my view, go hand-in-hand with the lack of physical controls but which is woeful on my 3 year old S - perhaps the 3's capabilities here are better?

8. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Joe, there are so many things to debunk in this post, I don’t even know where to begin.

So, in a nutshell:
    - the Model 3 is targeting the entry luxury ICE segment; what @3s-a-charm was saying is that only after a few months this year, the Model 3 (which on average does not cost 60 grand, by the way...) is outselling the BMW 2/3/4 Series in the US. By the way, the same applies to the MB C Class & Audi A4! The average selling price of these cars can’t be as low as $35k IMHO.
    - it will be at least 3 years of ‘tick, tick, tick...’ before BMW (a comparable Jag hasn’t even been announced); everybody (T≡SLA too of course) knows there will be competition over time yet the demand for EVs is going to grow tremendously over that same period... so there will be room for (much) more than T≡SLA... the ones to worry are the ICE makers, not Elon’s company...

Like somebody alluded here recently, your motives behind writing some of these posts puzzle us more increasingly.
    If you’re anything like your pic, you seem to a big guy for acting so short... :D

9. Samuel Johnston

Samuel Johnston New Member

I do not see the logic the argument that Tesla products should be more like the competition.
    More choices of electric cars are better for everybody, Tesla included.
    Transportation is a HUGE market, and newer technologies (computers) mean the future of the industry will be very different, and offer many more choices to the consumer. I enjoy my Miata with six speeds and not enough extra room to cary a goldfish, but I would rather go to the downtown airport in an underground tunnel!

• Like Like x 1