Tesla Model Y rendered on existing Model 3 platform

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Teslarati Bot, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Teslarati Bot

Teslarati Bot New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the frenzied excitement over Model 3 beginning to level out, buzz and fanfare will soon emerge for Tesla’s second installment in its line of SUVs - Model Y.

Chief Elon Musk recently confirmed that the compact electric crossover will be built on the same chassis and underpinnings of the Model 3. While details of the Model Y have remained light, Tesla did share a silhouetted view of the vehicle earlier in the year. Shape and styling of the compact SUV is left to one’s imagination.

That is until a new Model Y rendering by AutoExpress surfaced that provides a comprehensive look at what a Model 3-based SUV just might look like.

[​IMG][​IMG]Tesla Model Y rendering via AutoExpress

Tesla expects to begin production of Model Y in 2019. The vehicle will have substantial carryover from Model 3 components, according to Musk. This is in contrast to statements made earlier in the year when the serial tech entrepreneur said that Model Y would be built on a completely new architecture. However, in order to speed up  production and bring the vehicle closer to market faster, Tesla will be able to greatly reduce research and development costs by leveraging Model 3’s test-proven platform.

In terms of wiring and electronic systems, Musk says that Model Y will contain a mere 100m of wiring versus 1500m of wiring needed in the Model 3, and 3000m in the Model S/X. Hailed as an incredible engineering feat using Tesla’s “flex circuit”, Musk places the production priority of the Model Y behind that of the Model 3, and expects vehicle demand to reach as high as 1 million vehicles.

Article: Tesla Model Y rendered on existing Model 3 platform

2. Snowcat

Snowcat Member

I'd buy that if the price is right! Hopefully they can cut costs with the new wiring and the loss of the lead acid battery.

Looking forward to the Y, it'll be shown before model 3 becomes available where I live anyway, so It'll be great timing to decide whether I'll go for Y or keep the reservation for the 3.

3. vincent wolf

vincent wolf Member

That's a horrible looking Tesla Y. No thanks.

4. orr

orr New Member

Man, that is butt-ugly. If it looks like that (which it shouldn't), I'm out too.

5. Rob Stark

Rob Stark New Member

That is not an SUV. That is not even a real CUV.

Model Y has to be more than a Model 3 raised 2" with wheel well cladding.

It needs to add more room in the back with a more squarish hatch even at the cost of Cd and range.

Two years from now battery cells will be cheaper and you can add more kWh to the pack while keeping cost constant.

6. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Really? Where do you live, Snowcat?

7. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Well, folks, if these initial few reactions are any indication of what target customers what and don't want, it is cleat Franz has to do a lot better! :D

Remember, this is merely a independently developed rendering of what Model Y could look like, not at all a projected look that would be blessed by T≡SLA... I concur, IMHO, that there have more intriguing designs... :rolleyes:

8. Accent

Accent New Member

That is still one huge Yank Tank!
    When will Tesla realise that most of the world does not drive on Californian-sized highways and their cars a just too big?
    Bring on a Tesla around the size of an Audi A3 and they would seriously challenge the Euro/Asian manufacturers.

9. Rob Stark

Rob Stark New Member

A4/Q5 sized cars do just fine in sales.

North Americans,Chinese, and South Koreans prefer larger cars.

That is half the global market for cars.

And Australians will prefer larger BEVs to smaller ones because the cost difference to power them is not significant.

It is really densely populated Europe and Japan that are the odd markets that prefer itty bitty cars.

Most Latin Americans, Africans, and Middle Easterners would prefer larger to smaller cars if the cost difference of fueling was not so large.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dan8

Dan8 New Member

Yea, raising the vehicle just a few inches isn't going to do it. The 3 is just, what, 6 in off the ground? We older folks want to be able to just slide in like I do with my Murano; perfect height. Hope I can still be in the front of the MY line with my early M3 reservation.

11. Dan8

Dan8 New Member

Why can't we get a good side view?

12. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

To be clear, there is currently no indication that Model 3 reservation will be transferable to Model Y. Not saying it won't be possible yet I'd consider it unlikely, IMHO... to be watched & confirmed in due course.

13. buckyswider

buckyswider New Member

Agreed! Too much overlap with the M3 in this rendering. Even the X has a lot of overlap with the S. What's needed is what you relate- something with a little room, sorta like an Escape or CR-V...

14. Dan8

Dan8 New Member

I'm going to wait for a real SUV from someone that understands people's needs. Not sure a M3 or even a MY (based on the M3 chassis) will be that popular once other models begin to hit the street. EQ anyone? Waited this long might as well get what I really need instead of being driven by today's crowd frenzy. Give it 2 years and the choices will be there.