Tesla Model X conquers ultra-narrow bridge after latest Autopilot 2.0 update

Discussion in 'In the News' started by simonalvarez0987, Mar 15, 2018.

1. simonalvarez0987

simonalvarez0987 Active Member

#1 simonalvarez0987, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2018
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Tesla Model X P100D with Autopilot 2.0 recently managed to accomplish a notable feat - crossing the long, narrow-laned, Hood River bridge connecting Hood River, OR and White Salmon, WA on its own - without disengaging Autosteer and requiring intervention from its driver.

A video of the Model X P100D’s feat was shared by Tesla owner and entrepreneur Bonnie Norman on social media. According to Bonnie, her AP2.0-equipped all-electric SUV was on Tesla’s latest v8.1 2018.10.4 firmware.

Responding to a comment on her YouTube channel, Bonnie noted that the nearly mile-long Hood River bridge is known in her area as a challenging structure to drive on. According to the Model X owner, even local motorcycle riders generally avoid the bridge due to its narrow lanes and the visually confusing pattern of its metal grates. The video received a lot of positive reactions from the online community, with CEO Elon Musk even liking the video that was shared over Bonnie’s 974023710272249856[/MEDIA]]Twitter post.

As we mentioned in a report back in December, Musk teased the release of a “major navigation overhaul” that’s set to be rolled out in early 2018. During that time, Musk stated that the upcoming system would be “light-years” ahead of the then-current AP2.0 suite. He did, however, state that Tesla is rigorously testing the system first before releasing it to its fleet of vehicles.

The capabilities of AP2.0 cars have been a thorn in Tesla’s side since its split with Mobileye back in 2016. Prior to the two companies’ split, Mobileye’s EyeQ3 chip served a key role in the image analysis of Tesla’s first Autopilot suite, now dubbed as AP1.0. Following a tragic Autopilot crash, however, Tesla and Mobileye parted ways, with the Elon Musk-led firm opting to develop its own hardware.

RELATED: Tesla Model X driver makes a heralding squeeze through a narrow dam in China

Tesla’s Enhanced Autopilot (EAP/AP2.0) was developed internally by the company, and while it debuted with less functionality than the Mobileye-powered AP1.0 suite, Tesla assured its customers that EAP has the capability to become even better than the original Autopilot. Though the new generation of Autopilot was released with features inferior to AP1.0, since then, owners of cars with AP2.0 have noticed major improvements in the vehicle’s ability to safely navigate challenging roadways, and topping the capabilities of Tesla’s first generation Autopilot.

A video of Bonnie’s Model X driving over a narrow bridge on Autopilot 2.0 could be viewed below. 

Article: Tesla Model X conquers ultra-narrow bridge after latest Autopilot 2.0 update

2. imipsgh

imipsgh New Member

Yes this is an accomplishment. But how is it remotely impressive? This is within the realm of a simple or benign scenario. Do not assume that because a human is made nervous by it a vehicle would be. The weather is good, no sunlight issues, it is well marked. well lit, straight, probably well mapped etc. The reason it is impressive is because Tesla has had issues drifting in lanes. Since the bar was so low and they have driven 5B miles and taken so long it is assumed this must be hard to do. The reason for the delay is Tesla\'s use of the wrong approach to doing this. Like most AV makers. Pay attention to Waymo\'s recent paradigm shift on this. From here the scenarios get much harder to accomplish. Much more complex. And how would you suppose they learn thousands of accident scenarios? They have to run each variation thousands of times each in many cases. What will that result in?

Impediments to Creating an Autonomous Vehicle
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/impediments-creating-autonomous-vehicle-michael-dekort/

3. J.Taylor

J.Taylor Active Member

Mobileye’s tragic Autopilot crash (and several other crash incidents) showed their system had a serious problem with recognizing trucks. Elon was correct to turf this system.
    It is nice to see that his A2 program is now better than Mobileye’s and without the truck limitation issue.
    Now to see when ":crash avoidance:" becomes a feature.

4. Pat Free

Pat Free Member

That is a great accomplishment !! But I don't get why we don't receive in the same time, all these superb new up-dates on Model X in Europe. I'm still at Version 2018-6.1 today in France. And even that last OTA up-date was forced by Tesla reps during my last appointment at Tesla repair center, as automoatic up-dates were blocked before that, apparently by invisible internal errors on my bottom Falcon Wings sensors, that were replaced then, despite I had never experienced any real problem with my falcons since I got delivery last September. Unfortunately I still got no other OAT up-grade since that, while I saw on YouTube demos of 2018-8 version and now this 2018-10 version. I have OAT enabled. What is the problem with OATs on Model X in Europe. Someone knows ? Everything else works perfect, so no issue. Just strange...

5. joeski1

joeski1 Member

Home Page:
    THIS TIME

WANNA SEE HOW LUCKY YOU CAN GET?

SPIN THE BARREL AGAIN AND SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER A 2ND TIME.

Then just keep on going till ya hear a loud bang