Tesla Model 3 with RWD will be produced first, followed by dual motor in "6 to 9 months"

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by teslarati, Mar 24, 2017.

1. EVFreak

EVFreak New Member

My guess is that it wouldn't be because the wait will probably be even longer than for the AWD Model 3.

With the price drop on the Model S 75D, that may now be a worthwhile candidate.

2. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    If that would be the case then you should look at the Model S. Lucid is priced more like the S than the 3.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Jaken

Jaken New Member

#63 Jaken, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
    The Model 3 gives several hints as to what its original design intent was for. Its design language shouts ride-sharing autonomous people mover. In other words an urban vehicle. Its not mom car nor a cargo mover of any significant volume amounts. It was always intended to have a smallish trunk and frunk. A hatchback was never in the cards for this vehicle. For that you have the Model Y coming. The Model 3 is not really intended for long distance traveling either, although in the 75kwh configuration you could do longer trips but it was never designed with long distance traveling in mind. The Model S and X were always designed for long distance trips, also to be capable of moving fairly significant amounts of cargo weather for city or long distance traveling. Anyone who maybe disappointed that the Model 3 was never really intended for long trips well you are looking at the wrong vehicle. In a 75D configuration it should be capable of longish trips, its just not ideal. Another hint that the Model 3 is primarily designed as an urban auto. Look at where most of the next round of Superchargers are going to be installed. Mostly urban environments. The Model 3 is almost ideal for urban dwellers.

4. MyNameHasThreeLetters

#64 MyNameHasThreeLetters, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    You are talking about hypothetical conditions... I live in Minnesota and am old enough to know exactly what you are going on about. I have 36 years of driving experience, 33 of those with a CDL, have spent time on skid pads, and have even had a 48-passenger bus in a four-wheel drift.

In short: every vehicle is different, even copies of the same make and model. Each handles differently in the same conditions.

While I did put one in the ditch (at age 15) while experimenting to see just what that vehicle would do. I learned something very important... (It is your responsibility to) Drive for the road conditions.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dan8

Dan8 New Member

What I'm afraid of is that I'm really going to miss that exhilarating experience of diving into a corner, dropping a gear and coming out climbing the revs hearing that sweet exhaust singing it's lovely tune. Nothing like it.

6. MyNameHasThreeLetters

That's a whole different issue. Having driven Model Ss half a dozen times; I seriously doubt any Tesla is what you want.

Seems like a Formula Vee closed-circuit is the experience you seek. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dan8

Dan8 New Member

Didn't say I won't give it up but I'll sure miss it. Beginning to think driving a self driving will be like riding the bus. Maybe I'll just keep the cherry British Racing Green MG TD for weekends to keep the heart pumping and take the M3 to work.

8. GrandPoobah

GrandPoobah Member

You can always disable (or not get) autopilot. :)

As for "hearing that sweet exhaust", may I suggest saying "VROOM VROOM" whenever you feel the urge? :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. D|BigBlackNerd

D|BigBlackNerd New Member

You aren't particuarly well versed in drivetrains in general.

The only traction benefit of a FWD vehicle is when you have the majority of the weight of the vehicle on the front wheels. (Engine, transmission, differential,steering gear etc...) However, in the case of the tesla, where you have an almost 50/50 weight distribution, any advantage of FWD is negated.
    So, tesla went with a RWD configuration to allow more space in the frunk and reduce motor noise heard by the driver.

And yes, although AWD is helpful offroad, in an EV, it is far from necessary. The instant modifications to torque and RPM which the MCU can make, makes the 2WD version awesome in poor weather conditions. Couple that with the lighter weight, and, in some cases, the RWD could be even better in the snow than AWD.

TL;DR you cancelled your reservation for no reason.

10. EVFreak

EVFreak New Member

I sold my Panamera GTS with what I think is one of the best sounding factory exhausts ever and don't miss the lack of exhaust sound at all. Being able to accelerate hard without attracting attention is a big plus to me.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

For the first few years it'll be a model 3, after that a Lucid Air. I've got the money now. I am not going for the S.