Tesla Model 3 with RWD will be produced first, followed by dual motor in "6 to 9 months"

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by teslarati, Mar 24, 2017.

1. GoingofftheGrid

GoingofftheGrid New Member

#41 GoingofftheGrid, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    I do agree there are some 'negative' feelings going around. However, I remain fairly confident that the M3 will be worth the wait - and yes, I'm waiting for the AWD (anticipating) that it will not be available to me until 2019. However, with that said, not only will I (you/we) have the opportunity to assess other options (MB EQ and do not forget Volvo's EV - expected early '19) but we will hear many real-time reviews from current M3 drivers (non-Tesla employees at that!) and given the 'potential' competition, maybe that allows for those of us that do want other 'options' on the M3 to get them at a better price: remember the Model S appears to be having issues with selling due to the upcoming M3 and its higher cost. The same may happen to the M3, when Tesla (read as 'Elon') reveals more about the Model Y. If I had my ultimate choice, I'd pick the Model Y over the M3 in a heartbeat (as I have a family of 4, soon to be 5).

Crossing fingers (and toes) for the best.

Michael Russo likes this.
  2. EVFreak

EVFreak New Member

I feel exactly the same way about the single screen in the middle as well. The Lucid Air is looking more and more attractive, but the lack of a supercharger-equivalent network for other EVs is the biggest problem.

3. GoingofftheGrid

GoingofftheGrid New Member

Biggest problem? I would respectfully add that the Lucid Air price point is no different than the Model S - so for many (myself included for sure), the Lucid Air will not be an option - starting base price is set to be $60K and that's for RWD with 240-mile range (400hp).

4. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

@EVFreak , @Dan8 , with all due respect, you are in California... which means you'll get to see the final car, touch it, feel it... and drive it, before many of us, 'in person'!! I am in Western Europe... Imagine that! That way you will be able to judge, objectively, whether it is a fit or not for you...
    Also, unless you just sank your $1,000 within the last 2 or 3 months, you will also get the offer to order at your leisure sooner than folks on the East Coast, let alone us in other world area! AWD will most likely start being available as of 1Q18 and the full tax credit should be possible (for those eligible...) on most if not all deliveries by mid-2018...
    IMHO, you may not be in such a bad place... [​IMG]
    Stay tuned, the car will be great and with no match in sight for a while!
    Note: I am not a shareholder nor am I remunerated by T≡SLA

GoingofftheGrid likes this.
  5. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    I wouldn't cancel a reservation due to the later arrival of AWD, in the past, it just set when the configurator opens up for you and when you can order. I believe you can sit on it as long as you want (i.e. until AWD turns up). That's my plan. Sit and wait for AWD as I'm not ordering another RWD S. Mine has been fine but I would prefer AWD. Unlike some who go to snowy areas sometimes, I live in an area that gets a lot of snow all winter.

6. rkornblithme-com

rkornblithme-com New Member

Sorry to come so late to this discussion, but I just found out about the AWD vs 2-wheel drive issue. I had a reservation <18000 and am an existing S85D owner. The "D" was extremely important to me..in fact, it clinched the deal. Not only is the performance superior, but so too is the safety.

I've already gotten screwed once by the false representation that the hardware on my car (what now is HW1) would be sufficient to provide autonomous driving. Now, I'm being screwed second by the false implication that being an existing owner and early in the queue would be a benefit in purchasing a Model 3. I'm extremely concerned about the strategy and, in particular, about what is going to happen to purchasers such as myself: does this mean that I have the choice of getting a less than adequate vehicle or finding myself at the back of the line when I decline that first opportunity?? At least the stock is doing well...for the moment.

7. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

@rkornblithme-com , hi. I will not allow myself to comment on the 1st reason why you mention feeling 'abused'...(;)) as this depends largely on precisely what was implied at the time you went for your S85D and on true definition of 'autonomous' driving.
    As for the 2nd, I'm less sure you should feel that way. Isn't it our understanding that being a T≡SLA employee or owner puts you in front of the line, at least for the initial large batch of 2016 reservations, as soon as the car comes into production? In this case, I imagine you'll still be able to be asked among the first when AWD does get produced, which should be ~YE17/early'18...
    Please note this is from someone who reserved in October, in EU, so I know what back of the line feels.
    By all means, get the Model ≡ you want! ;)

8. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    With Tesla, and any other product you buy, make sure it does everything you want before you buy it. Do not buy them on the promise of future functionality that may or may never not come to pass. I'd wait until you see what you want is available and confirmed before buying to avoid any surprises.

9. Jimlans

Jimlans New Member

When I made my Model 3 reservation, I assumed AWD would not be available in the beginning. I live in Colorado, and I'm willing to wait. My assumption is that when I get the email saying my number is up and I can configure the Model 3 that I want, I'll just be given a later delivery date. So I probably won't get mine until 1H2018. While I'd certainly love to be an early adopter, I will wait to get the car that meets my needs.

10. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

-AWD is important for me too. Or I do feel it is important to me. Reason for that is safety, grip and stability in severe weather conditions and in upcoming accidents, where you have to manouvre quickly in a split second.
    -For that same reason a performance drive train, premium standard size wheels / trims and smart air suspension are important to me too. (I had a few near death accidents with my bike, because other people were not paying any attention to traffic while they were driving).
    -For more safety EAP and FSD are must have's.
    -For range and severe winterconditions the biggest batterypack, Sub zero weather package are important for me.
    -For my own health, asthma and bronchitis (and the health of my wifey) I think a premium upgrade to Bio Defence mode is a must have.
    -For more energy saving and opening the car at all times (even with a flat battery) a solar roof is needed.
    -Interior I do not care too much, although I am a Vegan. So Vegan seats are a preference, but necessary no.
    -As long the car has a good indistructable paint I do not care. Preference on the model 3 is metallic Obsidian Black.
    -Although I am a serious Classical music lover, I do not need to listen to "First I look at the Purse" of the J. Geils Band or to Bach through a Ultra High Fidelity sound system.
    -And for a future stand-in for Bjorn Nyland,(ha, ha if I only could) I do not need the tow hitch, but it is a preference to have one.
    -Different charger is not needed in Europe as far as I know.

As AWD is an option which I need, 8 other options are necessary as well. Other options are preferences; not must have's.

When AWD or a few important other options are deleted from the programm of model 3 I rather would wait a few more years. But rather not. I want to get the most money for my present car and spent that to the model 3, as well.

11. Alan F

Alan F New Member

AWD is a must have for me and I'm tired after a year of waiting I requested my refund since production is nowhere in sight.
    Has anybody else had trouble getting a refund on a reservation for a model 3 ?
    I processed my refund request online March 18th. (It's now April 18th as I write this)
    I was told I would get a confirmation email and that actual refund would take 2-3 weeks.
    I asked them to send me a check rather than credit the original card since I no longer have that card. They said they can't due to federal laws against money laundering. (BS). March 28th I sent an email to Tesla since I had still not received a confirmation email.
    April 8th I sent them another email since I still have not received any response.
    April 18th send more emails and called them. Still have never received any responses and "Manuel" from Telsa is looking for the $1000 they have misplaced.
    I think poor Manuel is the only employee they have handling orders, reservations and refunds.

12. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

@Alan F , sorry to read that, for you mainly... While AWD has indeed now been quoted as delayed 6-9 months, one can reasonably expect production to begin early 2018, which I would have not characterised as 'nowhere in sight'... But, hey, it's a free country (to-date...;)) so if you decided you could not wait any longer, so be it...
    Just hope you don't come to regret it when you see the car on a nearby driveway...

As for the refund, I had not problem after I had cancelled my initial reservation (hadn't properly secured my in-house CEO no exception... :( Yet managed to do soon thereafter so was back on again one week later... :D). Granted, they did credit my Visa within the planned 3 weeks so unfortunately can't comment on your specific situation with a card that does not exist any longer in the meantime... :confused:

Good luck. So what is your EV Plan B?

13. EVFreak

EVFreak New Member

Sorry to hear you are cancelling, but what are you going to choose as your next car? If it's AWD but not a Tesla, sounds like it will not be an EV.

gene likes this.
  14. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

My point exactly, @EVFreak ! Hence my question to @Alan F about his Plan B... ;)

gene likes this.
  15. gene

gene Moderator

I can certainly sympathize with the agony of having to wait for AWD or anything for that matter, but from my perspective the wait for Model 3 will be well worth it. After all, you initially placed the deposit for a reason so it would be a shame to abandon all of that initial excitement, and all of that drive and motivation that led you to put down the deposit in the first place, because of a production sequencing decision. Heck, maybe waiting is even better since presumably it'll allow Tesla to also work out any hiccups it discovers from the first batch of RWDs cars?

Just curious, but your profile says your from San Jose. Can I ask why the immediate need for AWD?

16. EVFreak

EVFreak New Member

I think that's my profile - Alan F's profile says NYC

17. gene

gene Moderator

Well, I completely messed that one up :p Sorry about that! It appears @Alan F may have just did a hit and run with his one and only purposeful post.

18. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

I think it will be a Lucid.

19. GrandPoobah

GrandPoobah New Member

I'm in agreement that the AWD delay may be a blessing in disguise in that many of the kinks of a new car launch may be worked out by the time I get my car. Always better to look at the glass as half full than half empty! :)

20. GrandPoobah

GrandPoobah New Member

Sorry to hear of your rebate refund issues, but at least "Manuel" is not "Automated" :)