Tesla Model 3 with RWD will be produced first, followed by dual motor in "6 to 9 months"

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by teslarati, Mar 24, 2017.

1. teslarati

teslarati Administrator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any speculation that Tesla will be producing a fully-optioned Model 3 first can be put to rest. Elon Musk confirmed through a series of tweets, aimed at addressing questions from anxious Model 3 reservation holders, that the company will be producing rear wheel drive versions of Model 3 first. This is in sharp contrast to the production sequence seen Model X reservation holders whom were largely prioritized based on the number of options they selected for the vehicle. At that time, buyers that lived closest to Tesla's factory in Fremont, California and selected a fully optioned vehicle would receive first deliveries.

That's no longer the case with Model 3.

Musk confirmed via Twitter that Model 3 early production vehicles will have a real wheel drive configuration in order to minimize configuration complexity. By reducing the number of options being made available to buyers through the Model 3 Design Studio, Tesla has a better chance with keeping to its aggressive production schedule.

Tesla uses an online design tool that allows buyers to configure their vehicle by selecting battery size, motor configuration, interior trim, and choice of Autopilot, among others. The company has been making a conscious effort to increase production efficiency by streamlining the number of unique combinations being made available on its fleet of vehicles.

RELATED: Elon Musk reveals video if first Model 3 Release Candidate

Tesla recently began creating "bundle sets" that include the most popular combination of interior trim and vehicle color. The bundle sets are being shared across both Model S and Model X. The company has also revealed that it has begun bundling insurance policies into the purchase of a vehicle in some regions.

While it makes sense that first production of Tesla's Model 3 will be a simpler base version, allowing the company to maximize production volume, one has to question whether Tesla already has a pulse on the types of configurations its reservation holders want? A recent poll looking at early reservation data via Model3Tracker.info revealed that only 7% of buyers would want a base Model 3.

Anxious reservation holders that are looking to purchase a "P" or performance version of Model 3 will have to wait until next year before hoping for delivery. If you're part of that group and discontent with the announcement made by Musk, he has a magic want that can change all of that.

What are your thoughts? Discuss it with us!

Article: Tesla Model 3 with RWD will be produced first, followed by dual motor in "6 to 9 months"

2. EVFreak

EVFreak New Member

AWD is one of my must haves, so it doesn't look like I"ll be able to get the federal tax credit :(

• Like Like x 1
  3. gene

gene Moderator

I was thinking the same thing. Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see what % of their total reservations will actually want a RWD configuration.

Data from @Paul Carter's Model3tracker.info seems to suggest that most people are like you and I, and want the dual motor all wheel drive set up.

4. gizmowiz

gizmowiz New Member

#4 gizmowiz, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Well, that means I'll be cancelling my deposit. I demand AWD for Colorado and if it means losing out on my high reservation number because I'm unwilling to accept a base RWD car in a snowy icy state then screw Tesla. I guess I'll just get a Leaf or Bolt then. I can live with FWD in Colorado but I cannot live with RWD in Colorado. And I refuse to give up my rebate when I should be getting one as one of first depositers. Really ticks me off.

Sorry Tesla you blew it here.

Really really really disappointed.

Tesla has put all cold weather aficionado's on notice that they are not important--screwed 3 times--1st, your not a Tesla customer yet--2nd, your not a Californian, and 3rd your not a RWD aficionado.

Hey Tesla, your 4th on my list now too--bye.

5. Matthew Hill

Matthew Hill New Member

Why would you want FWD in a car that doesn't have an expensive ICE engine over the front wheels? The only reason to put up with such a drivetrain, IMO.

I agree AWD would be nice to have for snow but I got by fine with an RWD (w/o traction control) car in upstate NY for years before moving south, and Tesla's control electronics are way better than what we had back then.

I think you'll be fine.

• Like Like x 2
  6. gene

gene Moderator

I wouldn't jump to conclusions here that RWD is not suitable for snow. Sure, AWD is better but having driven thousands of snow-driven miles in a RWD Model S, I can tell you that you'll be fine. It's also worth noting that I drove through the dead of winter from a snowy Utah to Aspen, CO and the vehicle remained poised throughout the journey.

[​IMG]

From: http://www.teslarati.com/map/3745/glenwood-springs-supercharger

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

#7 Mergoscia, Mar 24, 2017
    I live in The Netherlands, Europe. So I always knew I would be one of the latest to get the 3 delivered. And as well no rebate or any other subsidies. But do I care about all of that? For a good quality car which can bring me everywhere in Europe for the next 10 to 15 years, No!

I only would care if the 3 will have a maximum batterysize of 60 or 75 kWh and being terribly expensive with all the other options. Then I would change my mind and wait for half a year more for other brands with electric cars.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gizmowiz

gizmowiz New Member

Not in colorado high country. Almost every vehicle out here is a 4WD truck or SUV. You cann't negotiate Colorado high country in a RWD car without getting yourself killed someday. New York in no place is anything like Colorado or Minnesota--the two coldest states in the nation by far. We have more black ice here than anywhere in the world and seen so many RWD cars spin out and down embankments--way down.

9. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

#9 Michael Russo, Mar 24, 2017
    Am confused. What would you do with a Leaf or a Bolt then...? Ok, they are FWD, yet not 4WD... and I'm not even talking about the looks... :eek:...
    Anyways, what's 6-9 months in the grand scheme of things... I reserved the car in Europe last October... knowing full well that I most likely would have to wait as long as two and a half years to get my Midnight S≡R≡NITY... The only other car I would ever have considered waiting that long for before was a Ferrari. Which is way.over.my.league... :p
    So why not think this over a little longer before you pull the plug... Let the car be seen... touch it and feel it when you can... then you can always confirm whether or not it is worth your wait... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. LeoChelsea

LeoChelsea New Member

OMG, Elon you're killing me. I changed the number of dependents such that I would owe Federal taxes at the end of the year and take advantage of the $7,500 credit in anticipation of getting a fully loaded Model 3. I recall customers with orders with full loaded Model X's were given priority. Today most buyers purchase cars with everything but the kitchen sink. With the RWD model, maintaining control on snowy roads here in New York will be difficult. At minimum, it should have been FWD. What else will it lack? Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed.

11. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

#11 Mergoscia, Mar 25, 2017
    Why should you still buy a model 3 now?
    With a batterypack of 75kWh max, either the RWD or the dual drive / AWD will not take you further then 155 miles or 249 km in real life. And where is the Superchager by then? Right.....50 miles further down the road.

When Elon and Tesla stick at the 75kWh batterypack Tesla will go bankrupt very soon.
    Cause the strong point of Tesla was performance and range combined. Now it seems that is not possible. And they knew all along!

Here is the death / downing of the EV!

12. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

@Mergoscia , I am not this pessimistic... First of all, I think Elon has now learned to manage expectations... So I don't view all these news of yesterday as definitive... Remember, T≡SLA is known to keep improving its car continuously, rather than in fixed model cycles... No one else does that...
    The priority is to get production started & ramped up soon, limiting complexity initially... Yet they are aware that a lot of reservation holders are prepared to sink mucho $$ in fully loaded cars so they'll no doubt gear to meat that profitable demand as soon as feasible... As I wrote on Twitter this morning l, with hat are 6-9 months on the scale of time...
    Performance & range? I am convinced that under normal weather conditions & without driving like a Fangio, the 75 kWh will get you at leat 350-400 km of real range... And how many €45-50k ICE cars give you less than 6 sec. from 0-100 km/h...?
    No, frankly, IMHO, T≡SLA will be fine and will delight many, many Model ≡ owners even if several reservation holders finished the day disappointed somewhat. [​IMG]
    I say... stay tuned !! :)

13. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

#13 Mergoscia, Mar 25, 2017
    @Michael Russo,
    There are still a lot of places in Europe where (super) charges have distances between them of more then 450 km. Even I am not prepared to just drive 300 km and have to stop for at least an hour (all together) and that every 300 km, if possible at all. I will not drive like a Formula one driver (the one time I sat in a Formula One car was great!) all the time, but there will be situations where you have to be quick. But what about weather conditions in the Alpes, Pyrenees or Scandinavia in wintertime. In Wintertime I want to be able to go to Mergoscia. Then you need a P85D at least. Do you think you can upgrade a P75D model 3 to P85D in a few years without high costs?
    And realisticly...predicted ranges are never met. About the costs of the purchase-price.. I will give my opinion there.

14. gizmowiz

gizmowiz New Member

Driving on the Interstate and driving on local highways is a huge difference in RWD verus FWD versus AWD. Just try living in a home in Conifer--which gets snows up to 10 feet in a 72 hour period and having to negotiate 2 miles of UNPLOWED local streets in a RWD car. You just are looking at a simple case. RWD will get you spun out on black ice. At least FWD you can maintain control as your pulling the car not trying to push it.

15. gizmowiz

gizmowiz New Member

I want AWD but at least with FWD--it's a proven superiority over RWD on snow--as your pulling the car not trying to push it. When the front tires meet resistance via slush or snow--the Rear wheel drive cars tries to push it against that resistance and that's what spins the car out on black ice UNDER the snow. If you haven't driven Colorado high country you haven't drive snow. Try going over the OLD Loveland pass during a snow storm with a RWD car. It's dangerous and I have seen in my lifetime hundreds of cars over the edge and usually RWD cars (I'm nearly 70). Sometimes you see AWD too but that's because some stupid people over drive their cars thinking they can stop as fast as they can accelerate on ice. Myself--I always use 4 studded tires no exceptions in the winter. I'm immune to black ice then at least I can stop--eventually. But with RWD and no studs your a gonner eventually you'll mess up.

16. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

@gizmowiz , I understand where you are coming from. If I was in Colorado like you, I'm pretty sure I'd seek AWD too... Yet, as I wrote in post #9 above, why the rush...? In the end, your choice, it's just that there won't be any true alternative BEV on the market anyways...
    Have a pleasant day anyway, ok?
    Greetings from Europe!

• Like Like x 1
  17. gizmowiz

gizmowiz New Member

One word: Rebates.

It's unfair Tesla singled out prior owners to get 1st choice regardless of reservation #, it's bad that they give Californians 2nd choice regardless of reservation #, it's really bad they give AWD aficionado's 3rd choice regardless of reservation #. What good is a reservation # really for trying to first to get the rebates which is the only way I can afford it. Take away the rebate and it's not an affordable option anymore. I signed up actually a minute before the reservations began so I know I'm one of the first on the list. But will be probably hundreds of thousands later to get my 'reserved car'. Not nice. So cancelling is my only option now.

All probably a moot point since Trump is sure to terminate the rebates this year.

18. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

@gizmowiz, For someone who is 70, you look pretty young and handsome. I guess you get a lot attention of women who like fully grown men with a marvelous body. Even or especially in Wintertime, when the snow is 20 inches thick.

19. gizmowiz

gizmowiz New Member

It's a real pic of me which is more than I can say of most web users! No interest in gathering attention but facebook wanted a pic so I gave them one.

20. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

I have pics like that too............ All women droole (if spelled correctly) and still want to cuddle me. I let them...nice and warm...