Tesla Model 3 will have 'average reliability', says Consumer Reports ahead of official testing

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by gene, Oct 19, 2017.

1. gene

gene Moderator

#1 gene, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Consumer Reports predicts that the Tesla Model 3 will have an ‘average reliability’ rating when the vehicle eventually begins to hit the consumer market and extend beyond the few hundred vehicles first delivered to employees and their families.

Jake Fisher, director of auto testing for Consumer Reports, says they were able to come to that prediction because of historical data collected from the Tesla Model S. “What we have is a lot of data from the Tesla Model S,” notes Fisher. “That gives us a little more confidence in the Tesla Model 3.”

Though the reporting agency indicates that they have yet to purchase a Model 3 and put it through its usual series of tests, likely because Tesla is still in the midst of working through its manufacturing bottlenecks and have not opened up orders to regular consumers, Consumer Reports believes that their average outlook on the vehicle isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

“We are predicting that the Model 3 should have about average reliability,” said Fisher. “We don’t go around recommending that people buy cars that are below average, so if it is average or better, that is not a bad thing at all,” In regards to giving the Tesla Model 3 an average reliability score, Consumer Reports says, “let’s be very clear, we are not giving it super high marks. We are saying it is basically par for the course.”

A Tesla spokesperson commented on Consumer Reports premature “ranking” of the Model 3, saying that the organization’s reporting is “consistently inaccurate” and “misleading”.

“Consumer Reports has not yet driven a Model 3, let alone do they know anything substantial about how the Model 3 was designed and engineered,” says a Tesla spokesperson. “Time and time again, our own data shows that Consumer Reports’ automotive reporting is consistently inaccurate and misleading to consumers.”

DON’T MISS: Consumer Reports’ fluctuating ranking on the Tesla Model S and Model X through the years

Article: Tesla Model 3 will have 'average reliability', says Consumer Reports ahead of official testing

2. Not_Mandatory

Not_Mandatory Member

Tesla spokespeople should probably stop attacking an independent consumer advocate with a long track record of success when it publishes things that fall short of the idyllic "sunshine and rainbows" praise they prefer. It makes Tesla come across as petulant and bitter.

There are far better ways to politely disagree with independent "projections" such as these.

GOOD: "We respectfully disagree and are confident that once Consumer Reports actually has a chance to test and evaluate the design and performance of the Model 3, they will find it is an above average vehicle in nearly every respect, including projected reliability."

BAD: "Consumer Reports has no idea how the Model 3 was engineered, so for them to even consider assessing it as less than the best car ever made is outrageous and heretical. Consumer Reports is always wrong and continually misleading to the world's consumers and our data proves it! Sad!"

Tesla is a terrific company with paradigm-shattering products. But their spokespeople are an embarrassment.

*facepalm*

3. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

That could be yet this still leaves you to wonder whether Consumer Reports has an agenda, here coming out with these ‘projections’ at this totally premature time... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. Not_Mandatory

Not_Mandatory Member

Except that they almost always announce projected reliability for new models.

From my experience with CR (for over 30 years), their only real agenda is keeping the consumer informed and pointing out product flaws when they occur. And this is the same organization that gushed effusively about the Model S ("the best car we've ever tested"), which Tesla was more than happy to repeatedly quote when the news was positive. I think the only "agenda" here is that both Tesla and a lot of Tesla fanboys get prickly whenever the Tesla news is not 100% favorable.

5. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

I am all for being objective. Yet that still not explain to me clearly enough what their base is for such assertions. Thanks for the reference on their assessment on the Model S which I am observing after they tested it... When did they test Model 3? I must have missed something...

6. just_another_engineer

I honestly don't care about the whole discussion about Tesla but as an engineer, I found this kind of news interesting.
    Any kind of prediction in math is done based on data.

I need to use 2 examples which would be related to this "prediction".
    1) A guy has an older brother. His older brother is a great soccer player. Based on that, I will predict that his young son will also be a great soccer player. We usually don't see any correlation for that.
    2) A parents has 2 kids. The behavior of the older one is directed related to how he was raised and therefore we can assume that the second one will be raised the same way and therefore show the same kind of behavior. Perhaps, in this case, there is some correlation but I'm far from a psychologist.

Well, the parent here is the same for ModelS, X and 3 , Tesla but just to a certain extend. Production lines are completely different and the designs are also different. So, making bold predictions like data based on weak data is dangerous.

This just show how Americans are manipulated by the news. 99% of Americans would not be able to have their own conclusion. They read something and assume it is true.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Creative attempt at psychology, @just_another_engineer , yet, IMHO, not sure projected skills or behaviors for direct relatives are very relevant to projected reliability on a new, simpler car model, vs. more complex previous models, which by the way got better over time... :D

8. Top12

Top12 New Member

I have my own conclusion.I have two Model S cars that are getting old (180.000 miles), but they feel like new.I have therefor made reservations for 2 Model 3 cars.(But I will not sell the Model S cars )

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1