Tesla Model 3 reservations holders would rather wait for dual motor AWD

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Teslarati Bot, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Teslarati Bot

Teslarati Bot New Member

#1 Teslarati Bot, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Initial demand for a dual motor Tesla Model 3 was high, with over 70% of Model3Tracker.info survey respondents noting that they were planning to order the AWD version of the affordable electric sedan. However, a notable change in the poll data occurred after Tesla CEO Elon Musk revealed that only rear wheel drive versions of Model 3 would be produced first, followed by the more sought after dual motor variant “6 to 9 months” after.

The team behind Model3Tracker saw a spike in configuration adjustments shortly after Musk’s reveal which indicated that some Model 3 reservation holders were willing to do whatever it takes to become a first recipient of Tesla’s upcoming self-driving Model 3. The graph below shows the number of respondents making a change from all wheel drive to real wheel drive following Musk’s announcement.

[​IMG]Source: Model3Tracker.info via Teslarati forum

However, it’s important to note that the shift in sentiment only represents a very small fraction of nearly 7,000 respondents, and counting. The large majority of Model 3 reservation holders want the dual motor configuration and willing to wait for it.

Model3Tracker has continued to provide valuable insight into the thought process of the Model 3 reservation holder ever since the vehicle’s debut one year ago. Visibility that 93% of respondents were planning to upgrade from the base model, at the very least, reinforces Musk’s estimate that the average sales price of the Model 3 will be closer to $42k versus the $35k base price.

“As it stands now, 29% are wanting Rear Wheel Drive. From the year end report, it stood at approximately 25%.” notes Paul Carter of Model3Tracker.

New data from the reservation tracking site shows the strong preference for an all wheel drive dual motor Model configuration from both first time Tesla buyers and existing owners.

[​IMG]

Model 3 reservation holders are clearly excited about the upcoming Model 3 launch event and anxious to find out what the final specifications will be for the highly anticipated mass market sedan.

Just yesterday, a black Model 3 release candidate version with two additional sensors was spotted testing outside of Tesla’s Silicon Valley-based headquarters. With three months remaining before Model 3 is expected to go into low volume production, we expect to see very minor updates being made to the release candidate.

If you’re a Model 3 reservation holder, be sure to help the community by logging your choice of Model 3 configurations in Model3Tracker.info.

[​IMG]Black Tesla Model 3 release candidate spotted on April 4, 2017 in Los Altos, CA.

Also, if you think you spotted a Model 3, send us a tip with photo directly from your iOS or Android phone!

Article: Tesla Model 3 reservations holders would rather wait for dual motor AWD

2. danzgator

danzgator New Member

This is a bit of a stretch. It assumes that everyone that input information is aware that Musk said AWD would be delayed, and that everyone in the survey that changed their mind would login and change their specs because of the news. I can't even remember what I spec'd, but will get the the RWD to maintain my spot in line, or move up. I'm sure there's more people that can't be bothered to update their specs like me than ones that are logging in at each news update.

3. Taylor S Marks

This data is riddled with flaws.
    #1 - Users are self selected (you don't have a random sampling of the whole - whatever it is that leads people to know about, sign up for, and/or give information to that website, may also lead to biased selections.)
    #2 - Users aren't facing actual dates and prices yet.
    #3 - Not all users who have changed their mind will log into the website again to change their selection. Not all people even realize Musk made those announcements via twitter.

4. Lamont

Lamont New Member

I will be waiting for the dual motor. It makes no sense to not buy what you really want.

Michael Russo likes this.
  5. gizmowiz

gizmowiz New Member

#5 gizmowiz, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    It will always tick me off that Tesla decided AWD Tesla fans have to wait and bypass the Federal rebate as a result. Considering were making them the larger profits this is so opposite of the way that Tesla sold model 3's and X's. So many of us are ticked off. Their decision makes no economic sense. In fact if just 4% opt for the RWD that would have bought the AWD at its substantially greater price, then using an estimated $9,000 AWD option price Tesla just threw away close to $100 million dollars (4% x 70% x $9000 x 400,000 reservationists for AWD option > $100 million). I don't think it's investors care too much for that kind of logic.

6. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

#6 Michael Russo, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    @gizmowiz ... I hate to sound like a broken record, yet how can you be so sure you would have missed on part of all of the federal tax credit... if you would not have cancelled your reservation, that is...? ;)

7. gizmowiz

gizmowiz New Member

You hate it heh? Seem to me your enjoying it. Happy your number is one higher heh?

8. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Last thing I'll say, @gizmowiz ... I get no joy from reading about someone's frustration and/or anger with T≡SLA, particularly for reasons that, IMHO, I don't fully understand... Again, I do get you wanted AWD, as well as to benefit from the full US tax credit. Before you decided to cancel, I remember trying to respectfully suggest to you to take a breather & hold on, before concluding (again, very much IMHO) hastily that the two would be incompatible...
    Yet, of course, I look forward to getting my Midnight S≡R≡NITY whenever feasible... ;)
    Take care.