Tesla Model 3 Performance possibly spotted ahead of dual motor rollout

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by simonalvarez0987, Jan 21, 2018.

1. JordanWilliamson

lol I didn't see your post. I did say 4.4-4.6 so I wouldn't let you have 4.4 and under because that's in my range. I wouldn't put money on it because I really have no idea, these are just my guesses based on speculation.

A couple years ago people were saying the base model of the model 3 would have model s acceleration. Tesla made sure that's not the case. From my understanding, the engine costs very little relative to the total car. Having the model s engine in the model 3 would barely raise the price. I believe it's a business decision to not cannibalize their flagship and I think they'll continue with that.

2. Ryan

Ryan Member

OK so you're not that confident if you don't want to bet. :D

That's fine, though: we're all having fun speculating. And here's my stance: there's simply no way Elon sells a Performance car for a $10k+ premium (my guess is $20k) that shaves less than a second off of the 0-60 time. And Elon ain't selling a "Performance" car that is ANYWHERE in the 4's. I appreciate your caution but I just think you're going to be very, very pleasantly surprised at the performance (the price, on the other hand...stay tuned :p). Finally, once Model 3 is at full production, the S isn't really the flagship anymore. Not from a financial perspective. The 3 is what will make the company profitable, in time. Elon doesn't have time to worry about "protecting" the S. He's got a planet to save, and to do that he has to get as many people into Model 3s as possible. And he's figured out that a good way to do that is to have awesome performance. If people are willing to pay a premium, a la BMW M3, Audi S4, etc., Elon will give them a car they can't resist. Because he doesn't want people buying ICEs anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  3. J.Taylor

J.Taylor Active Member

Tesla uses cobalt from Canada. This fact has been widely published to stop turds like suvirvin801 from spreading fake complaints.

4. aquadoggie

aquadoggie Member

In all honesty, I'm a bit confused why people care about a performance model of the Model 3. The whole idea was an affordable version of an S, if I'm not mistaken. It is bizarre to me that this is one of the most commented on threads in this forum. The Model S is fast. The Model 3 is fast. Yay. I am concerned about the performance of the car in the real world in real world situations. The point of Tesla, and Elon's overall goal, is to change the world. Creating fast cars is secondary, as I understand it. Elon just happens to have made "fast" part of the basics for his cars.

5. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Guess it’s human nature for many... some folks like it fast, always faster... That’s ok as long as you don’t forget to smell the roses at times, or, as our good friend @Ryan , if you spend hours per week to prepare & deliver an info-rich blog to keep us informed & entertained! :)

Also, considering the exorbitant price of the SP100D, up to the new MP New Roadster the epitomy of T≡SLA speed, a P Model 3 at, say $75-80k, would be more ‘affordable’, wouldn’t it? ;)

Having said all this, IMHO, I am on your side as not having this need and will be more then happy with Midnight S≡R≡NITY giving me ‘reasonable’ LRB performance... :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. JordanWilliamson

Looks like I was wrong, Model 3 to have 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. Still not low 3 seconds but very good. Although the price makes it completely unattainable for what Tesla says is the Model 3 target market.