Tesla Model 3 owner shares insight on vehicle safety after 60 mph crash

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by simonalvarez0987, Feb 15, 2018.

1. simonalvarez0987

simonalvarez0987 Active Member

#1 simonalvarez0987, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2018
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Tesla Model 3 owner recently provided some insights on the compact electric sedan’s safety features after crashing the vehicle into a stopped car at 60 mph. While the entire front of the Model 3 was totaled during the collision, the owner of the Tesla stated that the electric car was able to protect him and his passenger admirably.

The Tesla owner shared images of his crashed Model 3 with the online community at r/TeslaMotors subreddit. While the driver of the vehicle stated that he needs to straighten things out with his insurance provider before providing more details on the accident, the Tesla enthusiast did share some useful insights on what happens inside the Model 3’s cabin during a major collision.

According to the Model 3 owner, the accident he was involved in was very serious, to the point where paramedics noted that he would not have made it out of the collision had he been in a vehicle that was less safe than the electric car. As could be seen from photos of the totaled Model 3, the car’s entire front was completely destroyed, but its cabin was still intact.

[​IMG]

If there was one thing that the Model 3 driver had comments on, however, it was on the 15-inch central touchscreen of the electric car. Describing the accident to members of the online community, the driver stated that the glass on the touchscreen shattered during the collision, which caused a gash on the arm of his passenger.

Updated: Elon Musk addresses Tesla Model 3 crash with vow to add new safety enhancements

Apart from this, the driver stated that he had a difficult time accessing the vehicle’s title and insurance after the incident due to the glove box’s controls being on the central touchscreen of the electric car. With the display shattered, accessing the glove box proved challenging.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Photo credit: Model_3_Crash_Dummy via Reddit

Despite these inconveniences, however, the Tesla owner stated that he was incredibly impressed with how the Model 3 handled the collision. The driver further stated that he had already put in another reservation for the electric car.

The recent Model 3 collision proves once more that Tesla’s vehicles are some of the safest cars on the road. As we mentioned in a previous report, the Tesla Model X recently proved its 5-star safety rating after getting into an accident with a car that ran a red light at high speed. While the Model X’s front end was damaged due to the incident, the driver of the vehicle was able to exit the car safely without any injuries.

Article: Tesla Model 3 owner shares insight on vehicle safety after 60 mph crash

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. tillymedders60

tillymedders60 New Member

This dude was obviously using Auto Pilot crashing into a parked car!  He won\'t say it because his insurance may not cover it.  Anyone spending 5K on Auto Pilot is just plain stupid to show off to your friends \"Hey\" No Hands\"  

3. keefsmail

keefsmail New Member

The Tesla Model 3 has already had 3 major crashes.
    Each of those crashes could easily have killed someone in another vehicle.
    Instead of bragging about how the lucky Tesla owner was how about investigating whether the driver was fiddling with the touch-screen or relying upon the \"Autopilot\" or Automatic Emergency Braking to protect himself.
    Even after multiple deaths and crashes owners are still not being given a loud and clear warning that Autopilot does not recognise stationary objects and will KILL YOU in the blink of an eye.

4. Rasmus Christensen

Rasmus Christensen New Member

A parked car isn't a stationary object that is a car and the autopilot should recognise it. My model s stops behind it if it is a bike car truck or pedestrian. But faults happen and the driver should always be aware since it is only level 3

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  5. komocode

komocode New Member

probably shouldn't assume these things.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. JeffreyR

JeffreyR New Member

Home Page:
    One thing obvious is that Tesla should put a protective film on top of the 15-inch touch screen. For those already in the field a film for a tablet sounds like a good idea.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. JeffreyR

JeffreyR New Member

Home Page:
    I think Tesla has been explicit about what Autopilot can and cannot do. The problem is that Autopilot will allow you to use it beyond its stated capabilities. Like using autopilot in an airplane, where the pilot is fully responsible, using Autopilot in a Tesla the driver is fully responsible. Autopilot is an assistance technology to make your drive easier. It won't do everything for you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. anonim1979

anonim1979 New Member

I smell 2 dirty FUD spreading shorts...

9. MaxJ

MaxJ New Member

Your insurance covers you even if you do something stupid.

10. roby1324

roby1324 New Member

So he hit a stationary object at 60mph, doesn\'t seem to be the least bit shaken by the accident and he already ordered a new car.Just hope he doesn\'t cost someone else their life in the future...

11. aracelyreynoso

aracelyreynoso New Member

The car was totaled. The cops and fire department showed up, Ask someone to pry open the glovebox. it wont hurt the value of the car any more then it already is. Also, you got in a car accident you were lucky to walk away from. injuries are to be expected, saying \"oh no fair, my friend cut their arm in a accident, the car shouldnt have any glass that can break\" is Absurd. What bothers me most about this though is there is no mention of the person he hit. Were they ok? Their comments make it seem like they dont matter, not even a \"i cant say if they are ok or not\".

12. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Guys, as some (e.g. @Rasmus Christensen and @JeffreyR for instance) appropriately wrote below, use of Autopilot does not mean drivers don’t need to stay ATTENTIVE.
    And if I remember correctly EAP today is actually Level 2, Rasmus, no?

13. Tiger

Tiger New Member

Where was automatic emergency braking when it was needed?

14. Rasmus Christensen

Rasmus Christensen New Member

@Michael Russo
    Yes I believe you are are correct, I really hope Tesla succeeds getting their 2.0 .2.5 to a level 5 in the future as Elon promised :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. sophia51m8

sophia51m8 New Member

Yeah, got into a crash with my SUPERGREAT Tesla at 60 mph. Didn\'t even break the windshield, right front headlight, or bend a rim. Man they\'re tough. Also hit a bridge abutment at 170 with my Chevy Van. Scratched the bumper!!

16. EVnut

EVnut New Member

Additionally, we should not assume that we have knowledge of the cause. It should be referred to as a crash, not an accident.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. JordanWilliamson

When I was using Autopilot, approaching stopped cars the Model S completely stopped, crept up and fully stopped again.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. joeski1

joeski1 Member

Home Page:
    While that may be true... it is NOT guaranteed. . And then after your claim... your premium rates will definitely be adjusted upward to reflect your "stupidity "

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. joeski1

joeski1 Member

Home Page:
    And why did you write it that way?

" when I WAS using autopilot. ..."

Is that because of _______?

I disabled mine and haven't used it in over a year...

20. joeski1

joeski1 Member

Home Page:
    T/S should NEVER shatter.

This screen should be made with DOT approved glass.. just like the rest of the vehicle.. it should be made with the plastic layering just like the W/S..

Rediculous.. every vehicle T/S screen should be recalled and covered with a shatter guard if this is a demonstrated issue..