Tesla Model 3 battery options to top out at 75 kWh with likely 300+ mi. range

Discussion in 'In the News' started by clprenz, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

#21 Michael Russo, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    @Lowhican, I must admit your post has me a little confused... you say you are a big fan of Elon, yet most of your concerns seem to indicate a somewhat insufficient understanding of his vision and how to best accomplish it... You are correct in saying that Model S & X were launched as exclusive cars (although in the case of the S, did it really have all the bells & whistles right from the start?), yet with a sticker price that goes with that positioning... T≡SLA has been formidably successful up to now with this approach, yet this was just step one...
    As I trust you know, Elon's goal (or I should say, one of his goals, besides boring tunnels building Hyperloops and reusable rockets to colonize Mars...;)) is to rEVolutionize the future of transportation... Model ≡ changes the game: it must - and will - promote T≡SLA from a niche designer/producer of sleek high end vehicles to (over the next 5+ years) a mass-market carmaker focusing only on BEVs!
    How they manage this ramp up is critical to vision execution and sustainability of the company. This has never been done by anyone before; if they need to minimise complexity at least initially, to make this happen, then so be it.
    Because you see, IMHO, that is precisely customer-centric... The >400k folks who put down $1,000 to get in line are not all created equal. They don't alll want a supercar that does 0-60 in less than 3 sec, with a range of 400 miles, all that for $35k and on top of that now! Most of us knew we would have to wait... and that it would.NOT.be.easy every day... We need to stay real, and remember, this car will know no equal. It will be the first sleek, exciting electric car that hundreds of thousands can afford, not tens of thousands!
    I do agree with one portion of your posting, the one in orange above... because the reasoning behind is at least unrealistic in the short term. But they does not mean that Elon is fundamentally wrong overall.
    And finally, I'll say that we may still have positive surprises between now and July...
    Keep the faith!! :)

2. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

@JP White,
    Thank you for the information.

3. John P

John P New Member

300 miles is not enough? For me, it's plenty. I could drive from my home in Milwaukee to visit relatives near Eau Claire. There are Superchargers and other charge points along the way. And it's already been stated that the size of the model 3 simply isn't large enough for a bigger battery. I'm o.k. with this. I look forward to the time they'll tell me it's time to configure my car.

4. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

@Michael Russo,
    He's driving in the fjords as well?

5. John P

John P New Member

I agree with you on the front center screen being the only instrument. I do hope for something right in front of me. A speedometer at least. Elon may say you don't look at the dash on a taxi, but I'm not in a taxi. I'm in my car and I want to see stuff right in front of my face. I also doubt that I'll buy the self driving features. I'll get it if I can, but it's far down my wish list of options. why? Because my daily drive is in heavy traffic. To and from work. it's going to take a lot to get me to trust it in that kind of traffic around here.

6. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

@ Knut Erik Ballestad,

I pose a open question, so not sceptical meant.
    Those ranges were hit in Scandinavia in wintertime at 20 C below and snow of 30 cm thick?

7. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

@ Kut Eric Ballestad,

Is that so? I looked at the Dutch prices and configurations. All round the Euro 75.000 or a bit more. Not that much more. Or I did make a mistake.

8. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

@Lowhican,
    1)We all knew the base model would be priced at $35k. But that prices would spiral out of control with fully loaded versions no-one had anticipated that to happen.
    2) And I think you are right with the auto-pilot / full self driving possibility. People will still love to drive by their own and wildly at times. That's the joy of having a Tesla. So from driver's point of view the safest place for a HUD is the position in the windowscreen. And more easy for driver's who cannot handle maps (on navigation tools) as good.

9. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

#29 Mergoscia, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    @ John P

It is not about the range in miles, but in km (kilometres) 300 km equels 187 miles when driving in severe winterweather, snow of 30 cm or 10 inches and minus 20 degrees Celcius. Cause as I understood ...range will be severly affected by weather conditions.

Elon did say: "Model 3 will not have 100kWh. It simply doesn't fit. That's what he said in first.........................
    Then just this weekend, after the announcement of the discontinuing of the model S 60, he says that M3 will not fit higher then 75kWh.
    Who believes his story? I do not think many people. The platform will fit higher but not more then 100kWh at the moment.
    The desicion to top it out at 75 has all to do with the commercial sales-aspect of the model S 75 ; not the footage of the platform.

For my range and safety wishes I need a model 3 P85D.

For all who are interested.....In The Netherlands the first intelligent road is to open this spring. So full self driving cars can drive themselves there.

10. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

All over Norway, though I don't remember seeing one exclusively by the fjords... :confused:

11. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

@ John P,

I as well look forward to a HUD in the windowscreen.

12. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

@ Michael Russo, I mean on the ice in a Fjord or on the ice of the Northpole. I want to copy 007 when he was driving there...

Michael Russo likes this.
  13. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

LOL! Check it out... I have not seen it, which does not mean he did not do it... he's probably crazy enough in a creative sort of way...
    Or it's something that goofy Clarkson could have had one of his two acolytes try to do... :D

14. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

Tesla was not always succesfull in the delivery- approach, Remember the delays of both model S and X.

15. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

What was the name of the movie which was partly about a place on the Northpole? Clarkson is not brave enough to do this, I think. He never sat in a Formula One car. I have.

16. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Yep. And they have learned from these mistakes. Hence some of the (somewhat unpopular) measures taken now.
    There has not been a more novel new, still affordable new car in this segment for a long time, if ever...

17. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

No idea... You mean Bond, James Bond movie, right...? Dunno.
    Yet, a word of caution, dear friend, we're dangerously veering offtopic here... Autopilot, steer us back on track!! :D

18. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

We all hope the car will be affordable when some serious options will be included.

19. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

Yes, Bond, James Bond.... the man .....stirr not shaken, the man I mean. Ok, autopilot on the Northpole......................

20. Lowhican

Lowhican New Member

Having a vision is one thing, but you have to sell a lot of cars - cars people really want. Up till now, Elon has done that with the Model S especially. An argument can be made it is the best car made today. 35k for the base model car with rear drive only- translation slowest and smallest battery- translation fewest miles available is still in my opinion not the best way to come out of the gate with the most compelling reasons to buy it. People with only 35k are actually just as if not more particular with their limited resources as a millionaire who can afford to make a mistake with an expensive car like the S. My worry is that how many people are going to wait for more "bells and whistles" available "hopefully" in nine months. Then you factor in everyone who may not want just a center counsel, because they were hoping for a HUD to compliment it. As you can read in the comments, there are still a lot people still expecting and still hoping for the HUD to be part of the car. If it is part of the launch car- Great! If not, not good that's for sure. I am all for Elon's many visions and his scientific approach to solving life's obstacles, but Tesla is still not a low cost proven concept. The gigafactory hopefully has driven the cost down low enough to make a $35k car that goes 265 miles on a full charge profitable. Until then, Tesla wont achieve it's great vision and satisfy all the hype around its inflated stock price. If the Model 3 fails to close sales like the expectations that were set with the 400,000 preorders, the Tesla bears will have a field day and could make it harder for Tesla to succeed. That's why I would have started with the ability to serve the best Model 3's first to potential customers with all of the bells and whistles available. Headlines at launch, "I love my Model 3!" not potentially, "It's okay - wish I waited for dual drive version with a bigger battery."

LeoChelsea likes this.