Tesla launches "Powerbank" and Desktop Supercharger for mobile devices

Discussion in 'In the News' started by gene, Nov 20, 2017.

1. gene

gene Moderator

#1 gene, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tesla has launched a portable battery, dubbed “Powerbank”, and a Desktop Supercharger just in time for the busy holiday shopping season. The new accessories have been added to the company’s online store and aimed at providing mobile device users with a little extra juice.

At the core of Tesla’s Powerbank is a single 18650 lithium ion battery cell that’s arguably become best known as the foundation for the Model S and Model X battery pack. Tesla’s flagship consumer cars leverage thousands of 18650 cells that are packed into individual modules to ultimately give its vehicles the long-range and performance capabilities they’re best known for. But instead of having 100 kWh of battery capacity, enough energy to move a vehicle weighing over two-tons more than 300 miles (482 km), the Powerbank has enough energy to power your standard iOS or Android mobile device with its 3350 mAh capacity.

The $45 Powerbank is designed and inspired after Tesla’s supercharger monument at the Tesla Design Studio.

The Tesla Powerbank features:

• Compact Design
    • Integrated USB
    • Integrated Apple lightning and detachable micro USB
    • High efficiency circuitry to deliver maximum battery capacity
    • Charge status indicator

Technical Specs:

• Single 18650 cell with 3350mAh capacity
    • Input: 1800±200mA
    • Output: 5V/1.5A max

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

In addition to the portable battery, Tesla also added a Desktop Supercharger to its storefront which in essence is a miniature Supercharger for your mobile device. Tesla notes that the accessory was modeled off of the same 3D CAD data used to manufacture the actual Supercharger.

Though this isn’t a life-sized unit, as we recently saw when one Tesla owner decided to build a Supercharger for their garage, it’s nonetheless fun to have a working miniature version of it sitting on ones desktop.

DIYers, of course, can also 3D-print their own Supercharger.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Article: Tesla launches "Powerbank" and Desktop Supercharger for mobile devices

2. Taylor S Marks

I\'d love to have that desktop Supercharger, but I can\'t justify that price. I\'d feel bad even asking for it for Christmas.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Marcos Cunha

Marcos Cunha New Member

tesla should stop releasing products and start delivering model 3\'s

4. orr

orr New Member

No kidding...

5. Martin Busler

Martin Busler New Member

You are correct. Model 3 is make of break.

6. J.Taylor

J.Taylor Active Member

Great idea to get in on the overpriced swag market for those who have everything ...

7. deanrand

deanrand New Member

I received my desk top supercharger today, it appears to be a non-functional model with no ports nor battery, not what we expected for $45.