Tesla invites Model 3 customers to order, December delivery for first cars

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by gene, Nov 21, 2017.

1. gene

gene Moderator

#1 gene, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tesla Model 3 reservations holders that are non-employees are beginning to receive invitations to design their vehicles through the company’s online configurator. The California-based electric car maker began sending email invitations to select reservation holders, prioritized by reservation sequence and location for vehicle delivery.

“Deliveries of Model 3 will be generally prioritized by geography, starting with owners registered in California or those taking deliveries at Fremont.” said Tesla in an internal email sent in July to its employees that were Model 3 reservation holders.

[​IMG]

Today’s email, a surprise by many accounts, invites regular Model 3 customers to “Get Started” with designing their vehicle only weeks after Tesla CEO Elon Musk revealed battery production challenges faced by the company.

Even more noteworthy is the “Delivery in 4 weeks” messaging seen on the first screen of the Model 3 online configurator. This would put a date of late December for first customer deliveries, a follow up to the “Model 3 Update” email wherein the company notified customers of the revised Model 3 delivery dates.

[​IMG][Credit: danzgator via Model 3 Owners Club]

There doesn’t appear to be any difference between the employee and customer versions of the online configurator.

Buyers have the option to choose from a first production Model 3 with long range capabilities and premium upgrades, or hold their place in line for a $35,000 base model that has an expected production date of early 2018. Those looking for a dual motor all-wheel drive variant will need to wait until Spring 2018, according to the messaging on the configurator.

[​IMG]

Model 3’s Long Range Battery option, capable of an advertised 310 miles of range though EPA documents suggested that the Model 3 has closer to 334 miles of range, and Premium Upgrades will increase the price of the Model 3 to $49,000, or 40% over the base price. Included in the Premium Upgrades package is a glass roof, 12-way power adjustable front seats, premium audio system, and higher end finishes.

Don’t miss the thorough, hour-long and in-depth review of the Model 3 in 4K video if you want to learn more about the vehicle’s features.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

With first deliveries expected in December, it would appear that Tesla is making good progress on addressing its Model 3 production constraints. Musk revealed during the company’s recent Q3 earnings call that the software responsible for manufacturing two of the four Model 3 battery modules needed to be rewritten “from scratch”, leading to a delay to volume production.

“We had to rewrite all of the software, from scratch. We managed to write 20 to 30 man-years of software in 4 weeks.” said Musk in explaining the level of reprogramming needed on the mechanical elements of Model 3’s automated manufacturing process.

Tesla expects to produce 5,000 units per week in the first quarter of 2018, followed by a larger ramp up in the second half of the year.

Article: Tesla invites Model 3 customers to order, December delivery for first cars

2. aquadoggie

aquadoggie New Member

3. 2fatpugs

2fatpugs New Member

I live in Fremont and I waited in line for my reservation on 3/31/2016 but I still haven't gotten my invitation yet :(

4. aquadoggie

aquadoggie New Member

Current Model S owner or no?

5. GrandPoobah

GrandPoobah Member

From what I've seen on M3OC, the only people getting the invite are S/X owners who signed up on 3/31/2016 at a store. This is really great news though, as this opens it up to the second "batch" of customers ... we're next!!
    1) Employees and family members (check)
    2) S/X/Roadster owners (check)
    3) John Q Public (geographically west to east)

6. aquadoggie

aquadoggie New Member

S/X/Roadster owners who didn't sign up at the store may be a subsection of your #2. Maybe that's just what I'm hoping.

7. GrandPoobah

GrandPoobah Member

Yeah, they'll probably work through all the owners (or most of them) before opening it up to non-owners. Not sure how they treat an owner who signed up a month (or two) later vs a non-owner who signed up on day 1.

The bottom line, I take this as a sign that they're confident that the first set of bottlenecks is solved and that the ramp-up is coming soon!! :)

8. 2fatpugs

2fatpugs New Member

Nope, I guess I'll have to wait till Tesla works through that backlog too...

9. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Agree this is good news and a step towards the end of the hell tunnel where nothin’ is ever Boring! :D

10. MyNameHasThreeLetters

Great.Where\'s Signature Red?

11. RFP

RFP New Member

Hello all, As I generally complain, here's another complaint. In fairness to everyone, and giving ALL folks who ordered early some type of priority and the opportunity to get a piece of the disappearing tax credit and considering that, I assume, all of us will pay a transportation fee, why is it that CA folks seemingly have a priority? As I am >3000 miles away on the MA/NH border and I pre-ordered 2 or 3 weeks from the intro. it seems that we will be last in the U.S. line. Recognizing that it's a great big world out there my take (excluding RH drive cars) all should have a close to equal chance as possible. Has Tesla ever explained their (my opinion) unfair approach? I would really like to know how others' feel. Ron

12. GoneSailin

GoneSailin New Member

So... no white interior yet?

13. JordanWilliamson

JordanWilliamson New Member

It's not unfair when the approach was known day 1. There are a number of obvious factors that someone could conclude. The first is there is a significantly bigger market for EVs on the west coast. More reservation holders. Better Tesla infrastructure.

They can ship to more people faster if they focus on high volume areas. Also if there are issues, they can deal with them better with the better infrastructure in California.

If they were 100% in order of who reserved first. What would they do if the first person was in Alaska, and no one else in the top 10,000 were in Alaska? Ship a single car on a truck to Alaska? Or does it make more sense to deliver to the 8,000 of the first 10,000 who are within a 5 hour driving window of their manufacturing plant.

If you generally complain, maybe you should buy another car?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. JordanWilliamson

JordanWilliamson New Member

I don't think anyone expected there to be changes for the early reservation holders, it was known that they would be offered the first production models and if they want different features (shorter range, dual motor, different interiors) they would have to wait.

15. aquadoggie

aquadoggie New Member

Yep. Was told that white interior will be available in 3rd production cycle. I really wanted a white on white Model 3, but getting the car sooner is more important to me.

16. papa

papa New Member

Received the invitation to configure yesterday, and did so immediately: 4 weeks delivery. And yes, I am the expected first batch: Model S owner, based in Los Angeles, CA, 8th in line in Santa Monica to reserve.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

@RFP , objectively, today there is no certainty the federal tax credit will disappear. Have you approached your Congrssman/Congresswoman ? :)

18. RFP

RFP New Member

Hello again,
    Yes, I understand the comments and I'll take a wild stab that they may be from West Coast residents! My issue is that understanding that there were announcements regarding "S" owners, employees, investors and yes the CA population, but to what degree?

Most companies try extremely hard to satisfy all their customers and not just a subset; it plainly just makes good business sense. A good and current example is the I-Phone. Apple distributes new product via stores and e-commerce without checking zip codes. I assume that their mission is not to alienate customers. Car carriers whether by rail and/or over the road criss-cross this country 24/7 and don't care what vehicle they carry. There are 3 Tesla stores within a 40 mile radius of me so the infrastructure (less repairs???) is in place.

Apparently no one agrees with me but I think that Tesla has been quite cavalier throughout this entire process. I surely want the car but a little "Tesla love" wouldn't hurt. As an aside , originally, Elon whispered that there may or may not be any level of free charging although there were hints that there may be a small amount as good will. Even that disappeared!

Michael, after the Holiday I will contact my Congressperson/Senator to see where this all stands. Somehow, I think I have a better chance of success getting my 3 by this time next year. Happy Holiday to all. Ron

19. aquadoggie

aquadoggie New Member

If I had to guess, I think the geographic roll out has more to do with the production process being in its infancy and Tesla wanting to be able to fix bugs or physical issues faster and the west coasters are closer to home base. Plus, current Model S owners are probably more loyal to Tesla and thus would be more willing to put up with any initial issues that may arise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Sending you some ‘T≡SLA love’ from the South of France! Have a Happy Thanksgiving! :)