Tesla dumps leather seating option as company goes cruelty-free

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Mike Dolzer, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Mike Dolzer

Mike Dolzer New Member

#1 Mike Dolzer, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amid all the excitement over the Tesla Model 3 Delivery Event tonight, there was another big piece of news: All of Tesla’s premium interior options will be completely leather-free.

While the company hasn’t released an official statement, a Tesla spokesperson confirmed the news to USA Today, saying that Tesla now only sells its premium seating option, a non-animal seating material designed specifically for the company.

The Tesla representative could only confirm this transition for the Model S and Model X, but Musk has previously tweeted that leather-free will be an option for the Model 3.

?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Fmoney%2F2017%2F07%2F26%2Ftesla-now-sells-only-its-premium-synthetic-leather-interior%2F509954001%2F

Teslas still come with leather steering wheels, but there are leather-free options available.

“Cars still come with leather-wrapped steering wheels, but cruelty-free vegan options have been offered upon request in the past,” PETA said in a blog post.

Animal agriculture — including the leather industry — is responsible for 51 percent of all greenhouse-gas emissions. Turning animal skins into leather also requires 130 different chemicals, including toxins like cyanide, and to cap it off, leather production uses 15,000 gallons of water per ton of hides.

Tesla has always offered the vegan option of standard cloth seating, but PETA, which is a Tesla shareholder, has long pressured the automaker to drop leather seats entirely by 2019.

Although Tesla stockholders voted against the proposition, the following year Tesla rolled out its first synthetic leather premium seating option in “Ultra White” for the Model X, a victory for vegan Tesla lovers.

PETA Director of Corporate Affairs Anne Brainard noted that other luxury car companies have also begun offering faux-leather seating as an option.

“PETA will continue to urge all companies to follow Tesla’s lead in choosing sustainability and kindness over cruelty,” Brainard said.

We’ll keep our eyes and ears open at tonight’s delivery event to see if Musk mentions a leather-free future for Tesla.

Article: Tesla dumps leather seating option as company goes cruelty-free

2. ToddGeorgia

ToddGeorgia New Member

Seriously? This is the most ridiculous thing I've read all year. I really might reconsider buying another Tesla if there's no leather option. I don't want to pay $100k+ and get what will essentially be vinyl seats.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. John P

John P New Member

Faux leather, huh? I've had faux leather before. It's terrible. No way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Evolved Organism

Evolved Organism New Member

Great news! I've experienced both Tesla's animal leather and vegan "leather" options and the vegan option is much nicer.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. Mark Schaffer

Mark Schaffer Member

Things have changed since you last had faux leather. Dismissing it out of hand is unfair.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. joeski1

joeski1 Member

Home Page:
    Worst decision Tesla has made since they discontinued the solid roof.. the new 19 wheels suck.. the 19 inch cyclone wheels were way better looking.... and yes..I would definitely rethink lease buying a $106,000.00 Tesla if it didn't have leather seats as an available option.....

I personally think this is BS to force cheaper seats on Tesla buyers..

Let the market decide Elon!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mark Schaffer

Mark Schaffer Member

If leather seats stop you then you aren't thinking about the effects of burning fossil fuels and aren't thinking much at all.

8. joeski1

joeski1 Member

Home Page:
    #8 joeski1, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Bunch of baloney! 21300 gasoline and tailpipe exhaust free miles on my 2016 TESLA MS 90D
    Powered with and energy use offset by 100 % homegrown solar pv.

I ride my butt on soft , fine, aged, sustainable, natural leather... you can sit on recycled plastic coke bottles bro'.. (mostly made from oil!)

You're responding to a guy that spent $2500 extra for next gen LEATHER seats.. not some cheap imitation. ...

9. Mark Schaffer

Mark Schaffer Member

Good for you! What are the effects of cows raised for beef and hide using fossil fuels? Do you really think that is closed loop?

10. ToddGeorgia

ToddGeorgia New Member

Not everyone buys a Tesla because of "climate change" and trying to reduce their carbon footprint. I certainly didn't. The environment wasn't a factor at all in my purchase decision. To the contrary, I would have still bought the car even if it was worse for the environment. I bought it because it's an amazing car and very compelling (as Elon would say). Let's be real here, getting rid of leather seats on the S and X isn't going to stop one cow from being raised. The leather will still be produced and sold, it just won't be in a Tesla sadly. Don't force your views and opinions on others, rather come up with a better argument and maybe you'll win some minds that way.

11. Mark Schaffer

Mark Schaffer Member

There is no "winning" with someone who so clearly lacks good critical thinking skills. Your scare quotes around climate change just scream at educated readers that you are ignorant.

12. ToddGeorgia

ToddGeorgia New Member

Ah yes, because name calling and belittling people works so much better than facts, logic and reason. Since I'm so ignorant and my critical thinking skills are so poor, it should be relatively easy to get me to see the light. But the "science is settled" so anyone who dares to disagree (in part or whole) is clearly just delusional. I'll go back to my padded room now. LOL.

13. Mark Schaffer

Mark Schaffer Member

Explain who John Tyndall and Svante Arrhenius were for starters.

14. ToddGeorgia

ToddGeorgia New Member

Tyndall studied what gases have the most absorptive powers. Arrhenius theorized about burning fossil fuels leading to global warming. Both lived 100 years ago. What about "Climategate" 1 & 2? What about climatologists like Richard Lindzen, Anastasios Tsonis, Freeman Dyson?

15. Mark Schaffer

Mark Schaffer Member

Clever boy looking up names without understanding context. When ignorant arguments are made about scientists chasing money will you be happy to note when John Tyndall and Svante Arrhenius lived? Think about it.
    Read here for full context of why so called "climate gate" was about nothing:
    http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2010/11/one-year-later/

To understand why no person can be considered educated on global warming leading to climate change and use your small group of compromised individuals as sources see here:
    On Freeman Dyson:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/12/the-danger-of-cosmic-genius/308306/
    "...He did not believe the pronouncements of the experts. He did not claim to be an expert himself, so he would not argue the details with anybody; he had not given much time to the issue and did not pretend to know the real answers, but what he knew for sure was that the global-warming experts did not know the answers, either..."
    I hope you can see how this is a variation on the argument from ignorance for starters.
    As for Lindzen:
    https://skepticalscience.com/Lindzen-Choi-2009-low-climate-sensitivity.htm
    He is wrong.

Now try this on for size:
    http://www.jamespowell.org/
    "Studies of the consensus among scientists on anthropogenic global warming that are based on literature surveys give higher and more consistent results than opinion polls. Using rejection as the criterion of consensus, five literature surveys (11-15) agree closely (literature survey 10 did not use rejection alone). They comprise 54,195 articles from 1991-2015 and reveal an average consensus of 99.94%. I estimate that at least 150,000 individual authors wrote those articles and that number does not include all those who wrote about AGW during the period, only those found using specific search terms. (See Powell 2016, Bulletin of Science, Technology & Society, 36(3), 157-163. doi:10.1177/0270467617707079. Download HERE.) "

16. J.Taylor

J.Taylor Active Member

Cows are not produced for leather, they are raised for milk or beef and leather is a secondary product. Car seats must have a very rugged material covering them and leather is one of the few things that look good and stand up extremely well to wear.

Now it is obvious that Tesla should produce some sort of a non-leather interior option, especially to please vegan buyers, but it is not a requirement to drop leather as an option. Does PETA expect everyone to give up milk, hamburgers and steaks? Why then expect people to give up leather products?

In any event, if Tesla fails to make leather an option we should expect to see an aftermarket leather seat being offered by someone. Where there is a market, expect to see a product to fill that market.

17. Mark Schaffer

Mark Schaffer Member

How many gallons of water does it take to produce one pound of beef? How much materials are used in producing leather including water? What are the byproducts? Have you personally experienced what Tesla is using in place of leather and over time?

18. J.Taylor

J.Taylor Active Member

Remember, leather is a secondary product. Reducing leather use will not stop the production of beef or save the many gallons of water and feed used to support beef and milk production.
    As for the leather replacement product Tesla is using, it is excellent and probably the one I will choose. However, you should remember that no matter how great a vegeburger is, lots of people prefer beef. There is still a big market for leather seats in $100,000.oo cars.

19. Mark Schaffer

Mark Schaffer Member

Whether it would affect cattle raising is an open question that your assumptions without hard data do nothing to answer. My point was simply that the alternative offered by Tesla should be tried before people leap to conclusions about how good it is versus leather....and that the production of leather divorced from beef incurs its own environmental cost.

20. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver New Member

I like eating beef. I enjoy the sizzle on my grill, and the flavor on my tongue. My heart - is not so happy with my belly preferences. I am reluctantly reducing my cow needs for my plate. (steak, butter, milk, cheese - all things I love but need to restrict). I love the leather seats on my sofa, shoes and Model S seats. I am willing to see if faux leather is good. Mercedes has a MBtech fabric that is very nice and I had a hard time discerning it was not animal based. I am confident (but not certain) that cars can be made with PETA preferred products.

Now - should ALL of Tesla be vegan, or just an option. Should Tesla have an ICE option, or hold with design?

I support the trend to vegan. I understand the need for bragging rights, the history of luxury being leather wrapped. But that may be a historical trend that can evolve.

• Like Like x 1