Tesla confirms Model 3 battery pack uses 2170 form factor cells

Discussion in 'In the News' started by gene, Aug 2, 2017.

1. gene

gene Moderator

#1 gene, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tesla has confirmed through its 2017 Second Quarter Update Letter that Model 3 is using the company’s high energy density 2170 cells in its battery pack. This confirmation puts to rest previous speculation that Tesla was producing a lithium ion cell with a much larger form factor specifically for Model 3.

Tesla had begun mass production of its 2170 form factor cells earlier in the year for use in its line of commercial and home energy storage solutions - Powerpack and Powerwall. The company confirmed today that Model 3 battery packs will also be sharing the same lithium ion cell type, however built on a new production line at the Gigafactory facility outside of Reno, Nevada.

“Model 3 drive units as well as battery packs made with our proprietary 2170 form factor cells are being built on new lines at Gigafactory 1. We are now fine-tuning these manufacturing lines to significantly increase the production rate.” said Tesla in its update letter.

Tesla’s proprietary 2170 cells, produced in conjunction with partner Panasonic, replaces the more common 18650 form factor cells that’s currently being used in the Model S and Model X battery packs. Tesla CTO JB Straubel noted earlier in the year that the 2170 cells were designed from the ground up to be the optimal in size and energy density for electric vehicles, balancing energy storage with external surface area to allow for sufficient cooling.

Though one might assume that future Model S and Model X refreshes may also include a battery pack upgrade in the form of newer 2170 cells and similar to Model 3’s battery pack, Tesla CEO Elon Musk indicated that there’s no such plans. “No plans to change cell form factor for X and S” said Musk in a tweet posted in June.

The decision to maintain two types of battery cells might have something to do with being able to maintain production and supply chain efficiency. With commodity 18650 form factor cells readily available and production lines for Model S and X well established at the Fremont factory, creating new production lines as they did with Model 3, and reworking the factory to accommodate a different Model S and Model X battery specification is likely something that might take place down the road. For now, disruption to an already well-established supply chain would arguably provide little value to the company and, let’s not forget, Wall Street.

Article: Tesla confirms Model 3 battery pack uses 2170 form factor cells

2. vincent wolf

vincent wolf Member

Probably because the plans for the X and S include a totally new battery chemistry---solid state batteries would be my guess. With ranges above 500 miles.

3. Knut Erik Ballestad

Knut Erik Ballestad New Member

I would hope they have other plans ready to execute before solid state batteries, because that is at least a couple of years ahead.

My guess is that Tesla will introduce 2170 batteries in Model S/X late 2018, after production have been reliably scaled up so that new S/X batteries would not affect Model 3 ramp-up.

4. fasteddie2020

fasteddie2020 New Member

I agree with your logic. If the 2170 cell is lower cost (I think it will be MUCH lower cost), then S and X will surely shift over. AND, if it turns out that a 2170 can be charged significantly faster (even 10%), I would think it would be highly desirable to make the changeover.
    The supply chain issues are real, of course, so Tesla's words will have to be tailored to buy time for a practical changeover to the new "EV Optimized" cells.
    I am sticking with my cost prediction....but I don't have any input on the charging rate for the Model #. Anyone have any knowledge on this matter?

2170 Cost Prediction.jpg

5. Knut Erik Ballestad

One of the main reasons that Tesla Model S/X can be charged so quickly is that they contain a large number of cells.
    So, basically the Model 3 with both larger/fewer cells and smaller total battery capacity would need a quite big increase in charge rate just to be able to chrage at the same speed/effect as the S/X.

So my guess is that the Model 3 cannot charge as fast as Model S/X, unless the chemistry changes allow for *much* higher charge rate.

6. fasteddie2020

fasteddie2020 New Member

I hope you are wrong...because bringing out a vehicle at this date that takes LONGER to charge would be a mistake. Which means that designing a cell that takes longer to charge is a mistake. Which means that designing a plant to make such a slower-charging cell for a slower-charging vehicle is a mistake. Etc....you get the picture.

7. Knut Erik Ballestad

Which just might be the reason they have no plans to utilise the 2170 cells in Model S/X......