Tesla APIs

Discussion in 'Tesla Apps' started by Teslaliving, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    Yeah, I pre-paid for AWS for a year to keep the costs down. My site is a combination of 4 docker containers and moving that to Google or elsewhere was a pain. Plus I figured I could end up moving it all only to have someone block it again. So I went with a lightweight proxy server I could host anywhere and then I can flip things easily. I generally like AWS for hosting so I'd rather stay there.

Traffic can route around the cranky people.

2. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    The Tesla API is down for everyone today. Tesla's own app isn't working. API is returning a range of errors 408, 502, 500 etc.

3. gene

gene Moderator

I'd like to convince myself that this means their dev team has rolled out some major updates on the infrastructure side, perhaps to lay the ground work for "Tesla Network"?

4. Tesla Tidbits

Tesla Tidbits Member

Working in IT, on the surface, it appears some serious stuff has hit the fan. The oddball API return codes could be symptomatic of a DDOS attack, as they're all timeout/general failure messages that can be associated with a server under stress. As you mentioned, a backend API update is possible too, but that would be something that *should* have been rigorously tested before deployment. As good as Tesla seems to be on a technology front, I find it highly unlikely that they'd have done something like that. One of my listeners reported that a call to Service got him the response that it was a scheduled server upgrade, but again, as savvy as Tesla seems to be on the technology front, that seems super unlikely to be the case. Trying to upgrade a server during US business hours when that's your primary market is pretty irresponsible.

5. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    A 20-hour outage doesn't make much sense for anything intentional. People couldn't start their cars and drive. In this age, it shouldn't happen. I've built and run 24x7 enterprise sites on a lot less money than Tesla has...

Anyway, API is somewhat stable now. The usual occasional 408 and 500 errors (shouldn't happen) but otherwise working unless you're trying to hit from AWS in which case you're out of luck.

I pushed Proxy support up to the maintainer of the Python API for Tesla and he's integrating that. That's how EVTripping.com worked around it.

6. blau

blau New Member

I´m using the Tesla API for my Powerwall2 as well as for a Model X to manage Energy consumption and to tell the car when to Charge.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gene

gene Moderator

Very cool!

8. bahree

bahree New Member