Tesla 3 AND Tesla solar shingles

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by GoingofftheGrid, Dec 13, 2017.

1. GoingofftheGrid

GoingofftheGrid New Member

Perhaps a unique question but hopefully Mr Russo or someone else can shed some light or merely offer your perspective....

I have a reservation for both the model 3 and the Tesla shingles/powerwall.

If I go with the RWD M3 my estimated arrival is may-Jun ‘18; if I go with the M3 AWD my estimated arrival would be Jan ‘19. With that said, given the solar shingles won’t likely be available until late ‘18 (I’m on the east coast), I wonder if it makes sense to wait for the AWD M3 (as much as I prefer to get it sooner ) as there will be costs for setting up the powewalls and the Tesla car charger - so best to do all at same time?!

Hopefully you get my drift considering the above scenarios.

I presume I will want to link the installations to save on cost $$ but I’m also not sure that I truly need AWD (aka at higher price n thus less options that I can afford).

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

2. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

I am not in your shoes - or should I say wallet? ;) - yet if I were, I’d probably want to stage the relative expenses particularly if you don’t feel you absolutely need the AWD... For the car choice, it really depends how much the AWD is worth to you relative to all the other things you want on it.
    I know I originally thought I had to have it until I saw the upcharge for the LRB and PUP which I now view as musts... ;)
    Not sure this helps.
    In the end only you know what you truly want - and can afford ! - at the same time... :)

Good luck with the pondering then final decision.

3. GoingofftheGrid

GoingofftheGrid New Member

Thanks.
    I’m with you on that initially I thought no chance in hell I’d not get the AWD but after a reality check (read as ‘I don’t own a money tree’), I accept that I’d get more upgrades n just deal with putting on winter tires once a year (if needed).

Am I correct that once you buy the M3 you’re going to have to spend $1500 approx to install a home-garage charger?

I’m just also not sure that it could be integrated with the powewall/solar - so that integration/timing may not be necessary.

When I spoke with Tesla about the solar shingles they couldn’t answer my questions regarding the car charger install. Hm

4. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Definitely recommend good winter tires in NJ winters! :) You won’t regret it...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    In California, the amount of solar the utility lets you interconnect is a function of your current consumption... unless you can convince them of a higher consumption rate... I installed solar panels after a few months of EVs... I projected a lot more miles and the like, and yet after several years... I'm still close to generating what I use... in terms of net metering, not power produced or consumed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1