Spaceship Like Controls

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Teslaliving, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    So we know the HUD is dead and AWD is delayed. I haven't heard much on the spaceship like controls which is one thing Elon did tell us was coming that we haven't seen. Did they back off from this? It sounded like it would be different than the Model S. Any guesses?

2. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

@Teslaliving , as you know, Trev from M3OC appropriately keeps reminding us this statement by Elon was made before they got such an unexpected - yet welcome - success with Model ≡ reservations and took the decision to anticipate the planned launch by two years... As much as the original intent may have been to make the interior look more like a spaceship (whatever that means we actually don't know), novel or revolutionary interior design has most likely been scrapped (at best delayed quite a bit) to ensure timely & successful launch per plan mid-2017. This is the absolute top priority.
    The car will be great. We've seen it 'in person' now...

3. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    Elon does not have a history of not delivering on things he's said. He's notorious for being very late on things, but not completely off the mark in statements like that. The Model S has steering wheel controls (tactile). It remains to be seen what the Model 3 will offer on the wheel.

4. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

I did not imply he won't deliver and still really look forward to my car!
    I agree there are still some big unknowns, particularly the meaning of the 'you won't care' tweet... ;) So, yes, much remains to be seen yet I have scaled down my expectations not to be disappointed... :)

5. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    Thats a wise move. Expect what we saw in the initial reveal and be pleasantly surprised with more.

Also, don't expect more features than what it has when you buy it. While they can add things via software updates over time, some things (individual tire pressures anyone?) require different hardware. And the software can take a long time to come out. It does get better over time, but if it doesn't have everything you want when you're ready to buy then you may want to wait.

6. Jaken

Jaken New Member

I expect Elon probably regrets ever mentioning the spaceship remark. Once the 400,000 reservations came in that changed everything. Imagine Elon and his top exec's were forced to sit down and determine that the best solution was to simplify the design and ramp up the Model 3's manufacturing earlier.

7. Jaken

Jaken New Member

I feel a number of Elon's recent tweets have been mainly about damage control. Conditions for Model 3 release have changed so significantly that many of Elon's earlier tweets are no longer even valid.

8. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

@Jaken, agree with you to a large extent. Rather than 'damage control', I would have written 'reframing expectations' which is largely the same thing... ;)

Look, it is broadly known that Elon & the rest of the T≡SLA folks did not expect Model ≡ reservations to reach such a phenomenal level and in addition, so quickly! When it was first revealed over a year ago, launch was originally scheduled for 2020... It was not going to be acceptable for the nearly half a million reservation holders to have to wait for as much as 3 to 4 years to get their car.
    To your point, plans were certainly redrawn which involved a significant amount of simplification relative to previous more 'radical' intentions, in order to gain 2 years before rolling the cars out assembly lines...

Nevertheless, since Model ≡ is largely going to be the same as the alpha cars first shown on 3/31/16, which generated this incredible enthusiasm and unexpected demand pull, I remain convinced - though, as incorrigible HUD-ite, a little chilled of course by the most likely much less 'spaceship-like' interior vs. our wildest fantasies... ;) - it will be a great car. All of the recent pictures of release candidates certainly point to that, IMHO...

9. Jaken

Jaken New Member

Feel you are right in that the M3 will be great auto even as it stands! I think the spaceship remark Elon made in his earlier tweet was in addition to the current state of the art for the M3. As an addon it and anything else that came later was more easily dropped.

Michael Russo likes this.