Solar Window Tinting for Teslas?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ivo welch, Nov 13, 2018.

1. ivo welch

ivo welch New Member

Hello from sunny Southern California...where we either have fires or sun, both capable of transmitting tremendous heat into the inside of a car.

Does it make sense to add solar window tinting onto the window to reduce the heat load?

What solar film should one choose? I see 3M, but there are others and I cannot figure out which ones are for real and which ones are BS, both brand and type. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

and let me add a really stupid question---would one tint the front window, too? and the sunroof?

2. Milan B

Milan B Member

Hi. I am in Northern Cali. Front windows tint might not be legal. while that has not stopped many people, it is still a risk. I am sure a good installer will tell you what is legal and what might not be. as i have found in the past, they will do what you pay them to do, but you have to assume the responsibility

3. TeslaGod

TeslaGod New Member

Hello Ivo Welch,

I am too from Los Angeles. In most cases 70% is the legal shade. You are going to want to use nano-ceramic tint to block out the most heat. I used MotoShield Pro nano-ceramic tint for my Tesla Model 3. People normally think that the darker the tint shade the more heat it rejects, that is false. This tint is amazing at blocks 99% of UV rays (Radiation) and 95% of IR Rays (heat) and that is with their lightest shade (70%).

Some of their tint is higher rated than 3M crystalline. Check them out. New company in the Los Angeles area making a name for themselves. Their pre cut tint package for Teslas here: https://www.motoshieldpro.com/produ...-tesla-model-x-or-model-3-all-windows-any-vlt