Solar at Gigafactory

Discussion in 'Tesla Gigafactory' started by Milan B, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Milan B

Milan B Member

I am hoping someone high up at Tesla might know the answer. Why doesn't the Gigafactory have solar panels? as i see pics of it, it looks to be a prime candidate for solar. i have no idea how much power you use, but since this is where you make the batteries, why can you not charge them up before putting them on the truck to Fremont?
    thanks in advance.

2. Roy_H

Roy_H Member

I don't know anything more than you do, but, Solar City bought their cells from China. They were in the middle of building a new factory at Buffalo NY when taken over by Tesla. This factory is now producing the first of 2 planned styles of solar panels. The first ones are pricey good looking tiles for upper class houses and obviously the high-profit items. Production has just started in January. The second is a much more conventional variant of flat black panels which will be much lower cost and is the variety that will be put on roof tops of factories like the Gigafactory. I suspect that the Gigafactory is waiting for production of the lower cost cells in Buffalo, and even after it starts, they will probably serve other customers first.

3. Milan B

Milan B Member

looks like this was answered :) glad to see it.